Samsung 43NU7400 - Looks like it's a VA panel!

Best and easiest way to check is to do a viewing angle test. If you have an ips panel then the image will remain the same regardless of the angle you watch the tv out. If the image looks different when you watch at an angle compared to when you watch from the centre then it's va.

how to get into this menu ? i have a strange pad ton control the tv
You only have this remote with the tv?

nu8000-remote-small.jpg

Best and easiest way to check is to do a viewing angle test. If you have an ips panel then the image will remain the same regardless of the angle you watch the tv out. If the image looks different when you watch at an angle compared to when you watch from the centre then it's va.
The image will absolutely not stay the same with an IPS panel, maybe relative to a VA panel. Maybe just put up a black screen (or ending credits) and check for IPS glow.
There was someone in the Philips section convinced he had an IPS panel because the viewing angles were better than his other set and the blacks were worse. Turns out both were 50" models of which there are no IPS variants in existence (even LG use VA panels in their few 50" models. Of course Samsung uses BOE for their IPS panels but they don't make a 50" panel either so that couldn't be in the Philips either).
That was just to point out it's a bit subjective as to what people may find a good viewing angle ;).

Last edited:
yes i only have this one :s, i don't see glow and black are realy black so i think it's an VA but.. not sure thanks for help both of you

Just to add that I purchased the 43RU7400 from Cramptom and Moore the other day, via Amazon Warehouse. The code is 02/URU7400, and it's made in Bulgaria. It appears to be an IPS screen, even though I did the ping test and saw a light flash. I'm unsure whether to return it, since I've unpacked it all now. Does the VA panel make a huge difference in image quality, or would we say it's just nice to have if you're lucky to get one?

Edit: Just looked at the Service Menu. Could someone confirm for me please? The Option setting states 43B6AU6NN. I presume the B means it's IPS?

Second Edit: Yep, IPS. Dang! Going back.

Last edited:
Just to add that I purchased the 43RU7400 from Cramptom and Moore the other day, via Amazon Warehouse. The code is 02/URU7400, and it's made in Bulgaria. It appears to be an IPS screen, even though I did the ping test and saw a light flash. I'm unsure whether to return it, since I've unpacked it all now. Does the VA panel make a huge difference in image quality, or would we say it's just nice to have if you're lucky to get one?

Edit: Just looked at the Service Menu. Could someone confirm for me please? The Option setting states 43B6AU6NN. I presume the B means it's IPS?

Second Edit: Yep, IPS. Dang! Going back.

Hmm, I have the same code on my replacement from Richer Sounds. Where did you get the info that the B definitely means IPS?

I had issues with the wifi on my initial purchase, 43RU7400, sent it back and immediately noticed the new TV had blooming issues and pale blacks out of the box.

Also the judder is terrible on the replacement - no matter what I set the judder control to (or off).

Disappointing, need to be 3rd time lucky for me - didn't get a chance to get info off the first model but it was pretty much perfect for the price apart from the wifi issues.

Hmm, I have the same code on my replacement from Richer Sounds. Where did you get the info that the B definitely means IPS?

I had issues with the wifi on my initial purchase, 43RU7400, sent it back and immediately noticed the new TV had blooming issues and pale blacks out of the box.

Also the judder is terrible on the replacement - no matter what I set the judder control to (or off).

Disappointing, need to be 3rd time lucky for me - didn't get a chance to get info off the first model but it was pretty much perfect for the price apart from the wifi issues.
Post #160 in this thread:
"The code in the service menu leaves no doubt that this is a VA panel (L = AUO; B = BOE = IPS)."

Sounds like you got really unlucky with your purchases. I have blooming issue too, mostly in the top-left corner of mine when the screen goes dark. It covers most of the corner. I'm sending mine back to Amazon. I really like the TV as it's a great all-rounder. In HDR, it looks pretty decent (unless you compare it to a much more expensive TV). It's just the IPS panel isn't great and you know the picture can be substantially better in dark scenes. I don't know what the chances of finding a VA panel of this are now. Pretty low I imagine, as it looks like they've moved to IPS panels. Really frustrating! Wish they just gave you the option, or at least, made it obvious what you were purchasing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Post #160 in this thread:
"The code in the service menu leaves no doubt that this is a VA panel (L = AUO; B = BOE = IPS)."

Sounds like you got really unlucky with your purchases. I have blooming issue too, mostly in the top-left corner of mine when the screen goes dark. It covers most of the corner. I'm sending mine back to Amazon. I really like the TV as it's a great all-rounder. In HDR, it looks pretty decent (unless you compare it to a much more expensive TV). It's just the IPS panel isn't great and you know the picture can be substantially better in dark scenes. I don't know what the chances of finding a VA panel of this are now. Pretty low I imagine, as it looks like they've moved to IPS panels. Really frustrating! Wish they just gave you the option, or at least, made it obvious what you were purchasing.

Yep, totally disappointed, the original VA panel I had was pretty decent. If I get a third one and it's IPS again I'll need to look at something else. It's in the kitchen as well, so 43" is as big as I can go - might have to go with the Panasonic TX40GX800B if I can confirm it is a VA panel like it's bigger brothers. Pricey though...

Yep, totally disappointed, the original VA panel I had was pretty decent. If I get a third one and it's IPS again I'll need to look at something else. It's in the kitchen as well, so 43" is as big as I can go - might have to go with the Panasonic TX40GX800B if I can confirm it is a VA panel like it's bigger brothers. Pricey though...
It is pricey, but according to Dodge, and from the reviews that I've read, the GX800 is the best TV you can get at this size. The next best option is the Q60R. However, with that one, it's another panel lottery. Rubbish! I may just cough up and spend the extra on the GX800. Shame as I only paid £300 for this Samsung and the Tizen OS is best-in-class. The GX800 will be a VA panel for sure. They don't make IPS 40" panels, so you'll be good.

Excellent. The 43 is just a tad TOO big for where I have it in the kitchen anyway. I've asked RS to arrange another collection and replacement, I reckon I will read up on some Panasonic TX40GX800B reviews.

As long as it does well with the DLNA over wifi then I'll be happy.

Excellent. The 43 is just a tad TOO big for where I have it in the kitchen anyway. I've asked RS to arrange another collection and replacement, I reckon I will read up on some Panasonic TX40GX800B reviews.

As long as it does well with the DLNA over wifi then I'll be happy.
A lot of places seem to have sold out of the GX800, although they may get stock back in. The only option with RS is to buy in-store, according to their website, so hopefully they have some available in your local. I hope they're not ending this particular model though. Plenty of reviews online. There's also a GX800 owners thread in here, which is worth a read:

A lot of places seem to have sold out of the GX800, although they may get stock back in. The only option with RS is to buy in-store, according to their website, so hopefully they have some available in your local. I hope they're not ending this particular model though. Plenty of reviews online. There's also a GX800 owners thread in here, which is worth a read:

Argh, so it is - sometimes they will courier out from a shop - I've already emailed them but will phone them later, seems I'm probably better just getting a refund - I can't be bothered playing the panel lottery.

Don't like the "crackling audio" mentioned there, maybe having my Q Acoustics M2 soundbase underneath will negate that?

All I know right now is I cannot put up with this juddering light blooming RU7400.

Argh, so it is - sometimes they will courier out from a shop - I've already emailed them but will phone them later, seems I'm probably better just getting a refund - I can't be bothered playing the panel lottery.

Don't like the "crackling audio" mentioned there, maybe having my Q Acoustics M2 soundbase underneath will negate that?

All I know right now is I cannot put up with this juddering light blooming RU7400.
Fingers crossed for you! I figure they're churning out more IPS panels these days as they're more flexible for seat positioning. I imagine the average Joe won't notice the picture degradation that IPS panels provide over a VA panel, but they'll sure as hell complain that the picture looks rubbish when viewing a TV at an angle. That's my guess anyway.

I thought they'd fixed the audio issue on the GX800 in a firmware update. I may be wrong though but I thought I'd read that in the thread that I referenced. If not then I'm not sure whether a soundbar will resolve the sound issue as it doesn't sound like a speaker issue.

I don't know. TV manufacturing and quality control just isn't what it used to be. It's very annoying when you spend your hard-earned cash on a new TV, only to find it has issues.

Fingers crossed for you! I figure they're churning out more IPS panels these days as they're more flexible for seat positioning. I imagine the average Joe won't notice the picture degradation that IPS panels provide over a VA panel, but they'll sure as hell complain that the picture looks rubbish when viewing a TV at an angle. That's my guess anyway.

I thought they'd fixed the audio issue on the GX800 in a firmware update. I may be wrong though but I thought I'd read that in the thread that I referenced. If not then I'm not sure whether a soundbar will resolve the sound issue as it doesn't sound like a speaker issue.

I don't know. TV manufacturing and quality control just isn't what it used to be. It's very annoying when you spend your hard-earned cash on a new TV, only to find it has issues.

Pfft, guy on the phone at RS was on about £15 to return it, erm, I'm judging this to be faulty - I have a great photo with mega blooming on a black screen anyway. Just going to get a refund and go back to the drawing board, GX800 top of my list just now anyway - shame as I got the 43RU7400 for £385 as I had a discount code, not to mention that 6 yr warranty.

I said exactly that to the guy on the phone earlier, the old quality control seems to be an afterthought - if I wanted the quality of a £250 43" TV then that's what I would have bought!

I have the NU8000 75" from last year - good as near perfect picture although the quality does seem to get worse every year! I have the MU9000 75" from the year before that had terrbile DSE but the overall "feel" of the pic was better than the NU8000 (Samsung themselves actually gave me a refund in month 11 as I bought it from the TERRIBLE "PRC Direct" - a straight fob off).

I'm hearing the RU 75" are a step down again?!

Pfft, guy on the phone at RS was on about £15 to return it, erm, I'm judging this to be faulty - I have a great photo with mega blooming on a black screen anyway. Just going to get a refund and go back to the drawing board, GX800 top of my list just now anyway - shame as I got the 43RU7400 for £385 as I had a discount code, not to mention that 6 yr warranty.

I said exactly that to the guy on the phone earlier, the old quality control seems to be an afterthought - if I wanted the quality of a £250 43" TV then that's what I would have bought!

I have the NU8000 75" from last year - good as near perfect picture although the quality does seem to get worse every year! I have the MU9000 75" from the year before that had terrbile DSE but the overall "feel" of the pic was better than the NU8000 (Samsung themselves actually gave me a refund in month 11 as I bought it from the TERRIBLE "PRC Direct" - a straight fob off).

I'm hearing the RU 75" are a step down again?!
That's what I've read about Samsung TVs going down in quality each year, and that the NUs were better than the RUs. Someone mentioned that TV manufacturers are now focusing on the OS and providing decent apps, but I suspect it's cost cutting for the masses to provide maximum profit, and they'll just handle the few returns they get, as most people probably won't care, or bother to return them.

The problem with clouding/blooming/lightbleed in IPS panels is getting the seller/manufacturer to agree that it's an issue. Unless it's really bad, Samsung will just tell you it's normal for this type of panel. You just have to push them, as you've done. I've got some good pictures of my clouding, although I bought mine from Amazon warehouse (Used - Like New), so I suspect they'll just accept it back without any fuss. They did tell me to resolve it with Samsung, but I can't be bothered to argue with them. The set they sold me is faulty, end of. It's a shame as it's not a bad TV and has some good reviews. I just can't see past the blooming in the corner whenever a dark scene comes on. My girlfriend, on the other hand, doesn't even notice things like that, and really likes this TV. It's too easy to get disheartened these days when looking for a new TV, but hopefully perseverance pays off in the end.

i have just bought the UHD 4K 43RU7405 TV wich i though it had VA Panel but after reading what you have written i am not so sure anymore.

Can you tell if mine is VA or IPS i have a thread here open with photos: Brand New TV Image Problem Samsung 7400 Backlight Bleed/Clouding? help

in Display Specs.com it says this model is VA Panel theres why i bought this model, but i am not certain anymore.

thanks

Attachments

• minha.jpg
    minha.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
it is on the back of the TV near the Ports all the information about the tv, and for what i can say now
all tvs that have begin with 01/xxxx are VA Panels, and the ones that start with 02/xxxx like my TV are IPS and 03/xxxx and 04/xxxx are IPS at least in the RU 7400.

so i am very unhappy with this because i spent 2 months prior to black friday researching 4k Tvs with VA Panels, because i did not wanted IPS at all costs, and irony o ironys i ended up buying an IPS TV being certain it was a VA Tv...oh well..

but to be honest i am more bothered with those backlight bleeds/clouding/blooming wathever they are, that my TV show that ultery disgusting and ugly, unacceptable, than by the fact that is an IPS.

it is on the back of the TV near the Ports all the information about the tv, and for what i can say now
all tvs that have begin with 01/xxxx are VA Panels, and the ones that start with 02/xxxx like my TV are IPS and 03/xxxx and 04/xxxx are IPS at least in the RU 7400.

so i am very unhappy with this because i spent 2 months prior to black friday researching 4k Tvs with VA Panels, because i did not wanted IPS at all costs, and irony o ironys i ended up buying an IPS TV being certain it was a VA Tv...oh well..

but to be honest i am more bothered with those backlight bleeds/clouding/blooming wathever they are, that my TV show that ultery disgusting and ugly, unacceptable, than by the fact that is an IPS.

Thanks, I have the same Version No: 02/URU7400 as you, the tv is in my bedroom and where it's placed I'm looking at it dead on no need for angles, but I don't have the backlight bleed you have. This really does seem like a lottery.

so you might have a
Thanks, I have the same Version No: 02/URU7400 as you, the tv is in my bedroom and where it's placed I'm looking at it dead on no need for angles, but I don't have the backlight bleed you have. This really does seem like a lottery.
so you might have an IPS panel also, if the viewing angles are good,

i have an VA monitor side by side with the tv and i was easy o tell the diference, far higher contrast amd deep blacks from the monitor, but a short angle the image start to wash out pretty quick, and samsung tv mantain very good colours even at a very wide angle.

so you might have a

so you might have an IPS panel also, if the viewing angles are good,

i have an VA monitor side by side with the tv and i was easy o tell the diference, far higher contrast amd deep blacks from the monitor, but a short angle the image start to wash out pretty quick, and samsung tv mantain very good colours even at a very wide angle.

TBH, I've had no problems with the viewing angles, the only reason I started tinkering and getting paranoid was because of this site lol. I like this tv and it meets my needs but the backlight bleed in the pictures you have shown is insane, have you decided what to do yet?

TBH, I've had no problems with the viewing angles, the only reason I started tinkering and getting paranoid was because of this site lol. I like this tv and it meets my needs but the backlight bleed in the pictures you have shown is insane, have you decided what to do yet?

yes i will go to the store, but i dont know if i ask for a refund imediatly, because for what i paid for this Tv i will not buy any kind of good VA panel anytime soon, and to buy LG or other brand they all use IPS, to do that, ill keep this model(but with a diferent tv).

or ask them to send the TV to Samsung an the send me another one
because i doubt the store will exchange my tv for other in the fly(that would be the best scenario).

Used marked for me its a no go, when talking about tvs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom