Samsung 4K HU9000 vs Pioneer VSX-1021 AVR

ittybittypilot

Novice Member
Hi all! Love this forum. I have searched and searched the threads for my answer, but no such luck.
I was recently given a Samsung UN65HU9000 and I am having no success getting it to run through my Pioneer VSX-1021 AVR.

I purchased optical cable to later learn I need to to “tell” the receiver to use it, but that is done only through the graphical interface on the tv. Since this AVR can’t upscale and display on the new Samsung, I can’t find a way to get this working. This Samsung uses the OneConnect device. I’ve tested using HDMI cables. Now I’m just frustrated.
Anyone have any success with older devices or perhaps this same combo?
Would a 4K up/down scaler adapter be useful?

ittybittypilot

Novice Member
There is an HDMI ARC connection on the OneConnect device, but I’m unsure where to connect the opposite end on the AVR. I am not really all the knowledgeable with AV equipment. I need some “hand holding” so to speak. LOL

ittybittypilot

Novice Member
Page 41 doesn’t give me anything other than PC and windows and playable formats (Title is “Home Media Gallery”). Perhaps this is a different manual or version of it?

Mine is a Pioneer BSX-1021-k

I will poke around for HDMI set info. The pervious 1080 tv was so easy to setup.
thanks!

ittybittypilot

Novice Member
Ah! Found it. Still no sound through AVR. However, now the Samsung remote is controlling the AVR volume but the sound is coming through the TV speakers (meaning now I can’t control the tv sound).
I have the HDMI cable plugged into the ARC on the OneConnect, and tried all the HDMI plugs on the receiver and no sound.

I think I’m close.
I did change the sound output from the tv from speaker to receiver to audio out and no luck

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I have the HDMI cable plugged into the ARC on the OneConnect, and tried all the HDMI plugs on the receiver and no sound
The HDMI cable must be connected between the ARC terminal on the One Connect and the ARC on the AVR which is as page 43 states marked HDMI Out.