Samsung 75" QLED Buying Advice Q95T 4K or Q900R 8K Model

Bradleyp

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m planning to purchase a new Samsung 75” QLED since my earlier Samsung SUHD 65” 2017 Model: UA65KS9500 screen got scratched while shifting and now it has a black one inch permanent ink mark on the left side corner. Any way’s I will be claiming from insurance. I had paid around USD 2620.00 when purchased it brand new, now I’m able to claim for USD 1,326.000 from the insurance.

I have already researched the market and found two TV models from Samsung in my budget as I don’t prefer buying any other brand.

The two models are:

QA75Q95TAUXZN - 2020 4K Model Price: USD 3042.00

QA75Q900RBKXZN - 2019 8K Model Price: USD 3382.00

I have read many complaints for the 2019 8K Model on Samsung USA forums and don’t prefer buying a TV which will cause me issues in the future. I haven’t read anything online about the 4K 2020 model as its relatively new so no ideas on this. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions on which model should I purchase as I plan to purchase this month itself.

Go for Q95T, is is newer with better picture quality and lower price.
8K lowers picture quality, because of huge pixel density.

I can't even imagine how bad SD would look on a 75" 8K TV.

Go for Q95T, is is newer with better picture quality and lower price.
8K lowers picture quality, because of huge pixel density.
I can't even imagine how bad SD would look on a 75" 8K TV.

Is the main reason for choosing the 4K Q95T model over the 8K Q900R? or are there more reasons apart from this? If I may ask you, in other words you mean that 8K is currently proven to be unsuccessful in the market?
For the 8K TV's, the sales advisor from Samsung says that all content lower than 8K would be up-scaled using Samsung AI technology.

There are no advantages for Q900R. Upscaling will be better on Q95T, because it is 4K and also have excellent upscaling.

There are no advantages for Q900R. Upscaling will be better on Q95T, because it is 4K and also have excellent upscaling.
The more you upscale the worse it gets, the larger the screen you upscale to the worse it gets.

For example

SD upscaled to 1080p - To do this you're upscaling by a factor of 4, for every real pixel the upscaler has to artificially "guess" 3 pixels.
This is usually fine, as long as the SD source has a decent bitrate.

1080p to 4K - Same as above, a factor if 4 and again, usually fine as long as the source has a decent bitrate.

SD to 4K - Very hit or miss. Upscale by a factor of 16. For every real pixel the upscaling has to create 15 fake pixels.
Well mastered DVD's can look OK, low bitrate SD channels, combined with having a very large screen can be completely unwatchable unless you're into 8-bit graphics.

SD to 8K - I can't imagine you'd want to watch that unless you were on the other side of the house.
Thanks for the quick response guys, okay let me ask you one quick question - how does the QLED 75" 4K 2020 Q95T fair up in comparison to my SUHD 65" 4K 2017 TV 65KS9500 ?

Last edited:
the sales advisor from Samsung says that all content lower than 8K would be up-scaled using Samsung AI technology

The more you upscale the worse it gets, the larger the screen you upscale to the worse it gets.

For example

SD upscaled to 1080p - To do this you're upscaling by a factor of 4, for every real pixel the upscaler has to artificially "guess" 3 pixels.
This is usually fine, as long as the SD source has a decent bitrate.

1080p to 4K - Same as above, a factor if 4 and again, usually fine as long as the source has a decent bitrate.

SD to 4K - Very hit or miss. Upscale by a factor of 16. For every real pixel the upscaling has to create 15 fake pixels.
Well mastered DVD's can look OK, low bitrate SD channels, combined with having a very large screen can be completely unwatchable unless you're into 8-bit graphics.

SD to 8K - I can't imagine you'd want to watch that unless you were on the other side of the house.

Q95T compared to KS9500 will have much better viewing angles and will be able to show proper HDR in 4K HDR movies. In regular stuff, they will be similar.

What issues have you read about? Every TV has its fair share, some more than others. Some may notice these issues more than others.

Is there availability of the 2019 Q90R? That is a better overall TV than the Q95T.

What about the Q90T? Same picture quality as the Q95T sans one connect box.

To answer your question and only between the two TVs you have picked the performance of last years Q900R should be quite a bit better than the new Q90T/Q95T which tend to be downgrades with local dimming even compared to the lower tier 2019 Q90R. So if you want the best value per picture quality the Q900R will be better if you intend to use HDR material on the TV.

For SDR content either TV will be fine, and perform more or less the same. I'm unsure of the issues you describe for the Q900R so can't comment on those.

Q95T compared to KS9500 will have much better viewing angles and will be able to show proper HDR in 4K HDR movies. In regular stuff, they will be similar.
On this forum which I have posted the same post, one of the forum moderators is advising me towards the Q900R which he claims to be better that the Q95T.

On this forum which I have posted the same post, one of the forum moderators is advising me towards the Q900R which he claims to be better that the Q95T.

He's also pushing towards the Q90R which is a 4K set from last year.

The Q900R is an 8K set and if you still watch a large amount of SD content, that's a lot of upscaling.

What issues have you read about? Every TV has its fair share, some more than others. Some may notice these issues more than others.

Is there availability of the 2019 Q90R? That is a better overall TV than the Q95T.

To answer your question and only between the two TVs you have picked the performance of last years Q900R should be quite a bit better than the new Q90T/Q95T which tend to be downgrades with local dimming even compared to the lower tier 2019 Q90R. So if you want the best value per picture quality the Q900R will be better if you intend to use HDR material on the TV.

For SDR content either TV will be fine, and perform more or less the same. I'm unsure of the issues you describe for the Q900R so can't comment on those.
Thanks for your quicks reply and advice. If you Google it, you can find that many Q900R owners have reported several complaints especially with the one connect box, and the majority of users have even asked for a replacement for their TVs.
8K Q900R. One connect box swapping HDMI 2.1
In the forum I reposted on another page, the users are advising me towards Q95T, now I'm a bit confused.
Samsung 75" QLED Buying Advice Q95T 4K or Q900R 8K Model

There are no stocks available of Q90R last years 4K model and since its currently discontinued it won't be coming back anymore. So, now I'm left to decide between the Q900R or the Q95T. What's your final recommendation please.

In the forum I reposted on another page, the users are advising me towards Q95T, now I'm a bit confused.
Cross posting is against forum rules. I have since merged the threads together.

If you are still watching SD material then getting a higher resolution display is not a good idea. But if you are still watching HD, or UHD content, it should be fine. What content are you going to watch with the TV?

The thread you linked on the Samsung forum about the Q900R is talking about a one-connect-box upgrade. The TV was promised to have an upgrade to HDMI 2.1 which it lacks. Will you be using any devices with HDMI 2.1?

Cross posting is against forum rules. I have since merged the threads together.

If you are still watching SD material then getting a higher resolution display is not a good idea. But if you are still watching HD, or UHD content, it should be fine. What content are you going to watch with the TV?

The thread you linked on the Samsung forum about the Q900R is talking about a one-connect-box upgrade. The TV was promised to have an upgrade to HDMI 2.1 which it lacks. Will you be using any devices with HDMI 2.1?

I will be watching a majority of Full HD TV Channels, a few SD TV channels (which currently aren't available in SD), 1080p movies, Netflix & Amazon Prime. In this situation, which TV would be the best option for me?

Last edited:
If You don't watch 4K content, You can forgot about these expensive TV's and go for basic TV's.

If you're talking about piracy. Discussion of it is against forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
If You don't watch 4K content, You can forgot about these expensive TV's and go for basic TV's.

Hmmm... not so sure about this. A decent bitrate 1080p HD pic can be very well upscaled to 4K these days, and will definitely look better on a good 4K TV than a 1080 one.

Hmmm... not so sure about this. A decent bitrate 1080p HD pic can be very well upscaled to 4K these days, and will definitely look better on a good 4K TV than a 1080 one.

You don't really get 1080p TV's anymore.

I think what Lvrhs means is if you're only watching 1080p content then a cheaper 4K set will do as you don't need to spend the extra on a good HDR-capable TV.

I think what Lvrhs means is if you're only watching 1080p content then a cheaper 4K set will do as you don't need to spend the extra on a good HDR-capable TV.

To be honest I still think you'd see significant variances in the quality of the picture even if every set was only fed 1080p to upscale to 4K.

To be honest I still think you'd see significant variances in the quality of the picture even if every set was only fed 1080p to upscale to 4K.

I definitely agree with this. The better sets ability to upscale is superb now.

Yes, If You watch only SDR, then You can skip flagship TV's and go for midrange 4K set with edge lit LED's. And they still will have great upscaling.

As mentioned already, you are seriously overspending for the kind of content you watch. TVs reached the pinnacle of being able to display non-HDR content for a few years now and a much cheaper TV will be more than good enough.

Even your old TV was a massive overkill for such content.

If you are however planning to add some HDR content to your viewing that is when paying more can make sense. Given you still watch quite a bit of SD you may wish to skip going 8k and opt for a 4k model instead, its really up to you. Go 8k with the Q900R and you get a better TV for HDR, but poorer quality material will look worse.

Can't say I agree with this. The short answer is upscaling is harmful to picture quality and will not improve it compared to a native display. What you are probably seeing is gains in picture quality in other areas outside of upscaling, such as increased contrast, or better colours.

The long answer is it depends on the quality of the content. With things like 1080p Blu-Ray rips being a lot more forgiving when being upscaled.

1080p>2160p scaling is a breeze for every TV, you won't see any difference between a mid range Samsung to a high range one doing this. If however the OP is talking about using poorer quality HD, or SD, then that is when you'll see a small difference.

As mentioned already, you are seriously overspending for the kind of content you watch. TVs reached the pinnacle of being able to display non-HDR content for a few years now and a much cheaper TV will be more than good enough.

Even your old TV was a massive overkill for such content.

If you are however planning to add some HDR content to your viewing that is when paying more can make sense. Given you still watch quite a bit of SD you may wish to skip going 8k and opt for a 4k model instead, its really up to you. Go 8k with the Q900R and you get a better TV for HDR, but poorer quality material will look worse.

Can't say I agree with this. The short answer is upscaling is harmful to picture quality and will not improve it compared to a native display. What you are probably seeing is gains in picture quality in other areas outside of upscaling, such as increased contrast, or better colours.

The long answer is it depends on the quality of the content. With things like 1080p Blu-Ray rips being a lot more forgiving when being upscaled.

1080p>2160p scaling is a breeze for every TV, you won't see any difference between a mid range Samsung to a high range one doing this. If however the OP is talking about using poorer quality HD, or SD, then that is when you'll see a small difference.
Yes, If You watch only SDR, then You can skip flagship TV's and go for midrange 4K set with edge lit LED's. And they still will have great upscaling.

Hi guys,

I have just seen a promotion on a Samsung 75" Model: QA75Q7FNAKXZN and they are offering this at a reduced price of USD 2,324.00. How does it stand against the Q95T? Is the Q75FN, worth the price for this display size? Please share your opinions and advice.

Hi guys,

I have just seen a promotion on a Samsung 75" Model: QA75Q7FNAKXZN and they are offering this at a reduced price of USD 2,324.00. How does it stand against the Q95T? Is the Q75FN, worth the price for this display size? Please share your opinions and advice.
That TV is a 2018 model, its more than good enough for SDR content if you want to pick it up at a discount.

But for HDR use because it lacks good local dimming its not in the same class as other TVs you've been considering. Including your older model.

If you don't use HDR on the TV I'd suggest last years Q70R or if not available, the Q80T from 2020 instead. The Q80T should come down in price in time.

If you do use HDR, the sky is the limit. The more you spend the better HDR will be.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom