Samsung 8K Q950R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

It might be argued that the 5,472×3,648 doesn't match the native 7,680 x 4,320 of the TV so the image is going always to be upscaled. I will test again with some images from my 45MP Nikon D850 that has an image size of 8256 x 5504.
The D850 , wow that is an excellent camera! It would be great to hear about your results as for me displaying self generated 8k content with no scaling is one of the reasons that I keen to escape 4k TV limitations.

Even the new ones 2020 models are nothing special when it comes to 8K future proofing...

Now have just bought the 75Q950R TV so got 3 models of this TV just now compared it to the 800T on YouTube 8K and there was no difference if anything the Q950R looked better and that was only 8K upscaling.

The D850 , wow that is an excellent camera! It would be great to hear about your results as for me displaying self generated 8k content with no scaling is one of the reasons that I keen to escape 4k TV limitations.
I have done extensive comparison between 8256 x 5504 photos taken with my 45MP Nikon D850 on a USB stick plugged into the OneConnect box & the same photos via tPhotos app on my Apple TV 4K from a distance of a couple of feet from the screen. I can see no difference.

Either the upscaling magic makes 4K look as good as 8K or far more likely the image viewer built into the TV is displaying the photos at 4K. Either way as the reason that I bought an 8K TV versus a 4K TV was to display my photos in the highest resolution possible if that doesn't work then the TV is going back & will be replaced with the 4K 75Q90R at a saving of £700. The TV stand on the 4K TV is designed to accommodate the Q90R soundbar too so will be a neater installation.

Last edited:
I have done extensive comparison between 8256 x 5504 photos taken with my 45MP Nikon D850 on a USB stick plugged into the OneConnect box & the same photos via tPhotos app on my Apple TV 4K from a distance of a couple of feet from the screen. I can see no difference.

Either the upscaling magic makes 4K look as good as 8K or fare more likely the image viewer built into the TV is displaying the photos at 4K. Either way as the reason that I bought an 8K TV versus a 4K TV was to display my photos in the highest resolution possible if that doesn't work then the TV is going back & will be replaced with the 4K 75Q90R at a saving of £700. The TV stand on the 4K TV is designed to accommodate the Q90R soundbar too so will be a neater installation.

It might be displaying in 8k, but very difficult to see the difference. Have a look at this.

Hi all - I'm a Samsung KS9500 owner and have been perfectly satisfied with it - best set I've ever had by a massive margin and have always strived for great PQ on all the TVs I have bought during the past 40 years or so - always went for Sony (remember the Trinitrons? lol) until this KS set, the 2016 Samsung Flagship model and best set on the market back then. However HDR has been what can only be described as a mammoth/epic journey, full of pitfalls along the way. It has been quite a hobby though posting here and there, getting in trouble by moderators along the way who don't seem to care 2 hoots about the benefits of HDR, when I argue against certain people's views that HDR is overated!

Anyhow my son has just completed a "man-cave" extension to his house but has now no money left for a decent sized TV. After many requests from him to sell him my KS9500, I visited Currys over the past few weeks to really try to ascertain if OLED is actually better than QLED, thinking a new Panny OLED would probably be the way to go. After several visits tinkering with all sets using the remotes (using a covid-19 plastic glove lol) I came across the QE75Q950R - it was an ex-display model going for £2999 less 10% discount. I would never buy an ex-display model so after a lot of umming and arrring I have placed an order through Samsung themselves for this 8k TV at the same price Currys were selling it for before discount. I wanted 0% interest finance, currys could not offer that, but I managed to secure a 2-year deal, meaning the only thing I'm not getting (compared with Currys) is the 5-year extended warranty. Set ought to arrive on Tuesday - ordered for delivery tomorrow but Samsung still shows it as "Preparing for Despatch" - having nominated Monday for delivery at 9am yesterday (Saturday), I guess Tuesday will be it. And KS sold to son :) .

So after all that I am just a little worried that I'm jumping out of the frying pan into the fire Samsung-wise! I'm bound to defend Samsung though as they've usually come good with me and my only two concerns right now (pre-audition in my room) is the lack of EArc and 8k videos. Still, that said, are these a concern given the 950R's upscaling abilities and what does EArc bring to the table anyway? I will be rigging it up to my Yamaha RX-A1070 receiver so hey-ho, bring on all the fun and games setting things up haha! Ok, so why not an OLED? Extraodinarily expensive - I wanted a 75" set - very knowledgable and experienced guys in the local Currys store suggested whilst OLED is good, for a decent 75" you'd be talking massive sums for a marginally better PQ.

At this stage I have just 2 questions please: -

1. Will I be able to use my existing wall mount, used for the KS (TV weight = 28.2kg) for the Q950R (TV weight 43.3kg)? I forget the make/model but it does have 40cm x 40cm screw fixings which are suitable for the Q950R. It's not a no-gap mount but do these make a real difference and are they worth it? It is a good one, but cannot fathom it's make and model. Samsung are selling this one - WMN-M25EA/XC | WMN-M25EA/XC | UK - for £149, which seems much cheaper than towards the geginning of this thread, although still expensive

2. Will Samsung ever allow Dolby Vision on their sets :)

Cheers

Hi all I got my TV back in October and it came with a broken panel. However I did notice something strange, on the TV it stated it was a Q900 and not a Q950R. I thought it must be a software glitch... Second TV came and it showed it as a Q950R in the TV information, but it comes listed as a Q900 in smartthings etc. I'm wondering have Samsung duped me into an different TV or is it a software error?

Anyone else got this issue?

Hi all I got my TV back in October and it came with a broken panel. However I did notice something strange, on the TV it stated it was a Q900 and not a Q950R. I thought it must be a software glitch... Second TV came and it showed it as a Q950R in the TV information, but it comes listed as a Q900 in smartthings etc. I'm wondering have Samsung duped me into an different TV or is it a software error?

Anyone else got this issue?
Just checked my 65-inch and it says Samsung 65 Q900r! What the hell is going on?

My 55-inch is also showing Samsung Q900 Series 55. So just a glitch I think because I don’t think they did a 55-inch 900 model?

Hmmmm - these are going to be the sort of questions I will be asking too soon. My 75" TV arrives later today and although I probably bored the pants off you guys with my above post, I'd be grateful if someone could guide me regarding my Question 1. regarding a wallmount please. Cheers

Hmmmm - these are going to be the sort of questions I will be asking too soon. My 75" TV arrives later today and although I probably bored the pants off you guys with my above post, I'd be grateful if someone could guide me regarding my Question 1. regarding a wallmount please. Cheers
Have you seen this price brand new delivered and setup?

The code is wrong on this one it’s the 75 inch Q950R TV too:

I didn't think about price-matching, had I done, then I probably would have got an extended warranty. The deal with Samsung.com is the one I went with. I'm able to mount the set myself, with a little help from family, so I just need guiding on a wall mount please

I didn't think about price-matching, had I done, then I probably would have got an extended warranty. The deal with Samsung.com is the one I went with. I'm able to mount the set myself, with a little help from family, so I just need guiding on a wall mount please

I was contemplating buying a Samsung although have now ordered a 77 LG CX. If I had gone Samsung then I would definitely have the no gap wall mount. It's specifically designed for Samsung QLEDs and would be a no brainer in my opinion.

Thanks @iangreasby , much appreciated. Think it's going to be best if I go with a no gap wall mount as my son, who's taking my KS set, will be better with the Invision mount I have been using as it allows the TV to be pulled away from the wall where his electrician has installed plug sockets of all kinds. So he will have my existing swivel mount and I'll get a no gap one. Thanks for your help.

What made you go with the LG, if I may ask?

Thanks @iangreasby , much appreciated. Think it's going to be best if I go with a no gap wall mount as my son, who's taking my KS set, will be better with the Invision mount I have been using as it allows the TV to be pulled away from the wall where his electrician has installed plug sockets of all kinds. So he will have my existing swivel mount and I'll get a no gap one. Thanks for your help.

What made you go with the LG, if I may ask?

If you go on to the Samsung site (I think that's where I saw it), there is a useful video showing how to fit the wall mount. It looks really easy and you can twist it to get it perfectly level once it's on the wall.

I currently have a 65" LG B8 but wanted to go bigger. The choices came down to a 77" CX or one of the 75" QLEDs. I went to have a look at the latest QLEDs last week in Currys and they are very impressive. I think Samsung have made big improvements over the last couple of years. The main plus points for going Samsung would be price, one connect box and the no gap wall mount. However, I just know I would miss the perfect blacks of an OLED, Dolby Vision, and the slightly larger screen size. It was a close call and I accept that, at £5K, I am probably paying over the odds for a TV that will likely come down in price by Black Friday, but in the end I went down the OLED route.

Just checked my 65-inch and it says Samsung 65 Q900r! What the hell is going on?

I was wondering if Samsung replaced the unsold discontinued units with these and just stuck on a software patch and started selling it as a q950r or using the one connect box software from q900.

Might get in contact with Samsung later on incase it was TV being misold or a bug.

Well I am nearly finished rigging this beast up - crikey it's heavy, as is the One Connect box too! Once I've booted up and gone through a few other things, I'll post what mine says, given my set is "brand new". Using the supplied stands for the time being until my new stand arrives.

no in American it was call q900rb which is equivalent to our 950r and my brand new 950r which is the 75 inch which according to the sticker on it was made 20 april 2020 states it's a q950r in the about this TV section and I have installed mine on a no gap wall mount , the tv is heavy but looks nice flush to the wall , I have xome from a 65 inch lg b7 oled , the blacks I find on the qled are just as good , yes there is blooming in the star wars movies in some scenarios but you tend to go looking for these instead of just enjoying the 8k upscaling which i find better then my old b7 set , that's just my opinion, was going to go for the w series oled at 65 inch but wanted a larger set , and the one connect box is a great idea , the only problem I had was the first set I got delivered had no picture once I turned the tv on just sound so this was sent back for a refund and inbetween buying my first one the price went down by 500 pounds so as I said instead of asking for a replacement set I sent that one back and purchased a new one for the lower price

sorry for long post

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom