Samsung 8K Q950R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Too bad, sorry for your bad experience

Well I've tried everything I think still can't see the Sky Q. Seems like the one connect to me rather than the sky Q itself.

Because I brought online rather than in store I have to call the main number rather than deal in store apparently at Hughes retailer...... However he has booked and engineer to come take a look Thursday but I'll have to pay for him if I didn't set it up right. Fair enough but I'll not be paying for him...... The manager even said I thought they'd fixed that issue on the new TVs...

What I don't get is some people must not have this problem... I just don't get why some do and some don't .....?

Back on my 2013 Samsung, works a treat other all boxed away until Thursday when I'll set it up again just for the purpose of the engineer visit.

I wonder if there is a way to factory reset the One connect box to previous software or firmware can see a button on it? It defo updated but that might not be the problem and is just me clutching at straws.

Angry and frustrated...

Your frustration is perfectly understandable, I spent myself quite a few hours plugging / unplugging / turning on / off tv and avr (Denon 4500) for sound and detection whereas I had no problem with a Denon 2500h on same tv some hours before.
And it started working suddenly.
BTW, I saw you have a few devices plugged in your connect box, did you try removing them all to let only sky q? Just to be sure one isn't blocking the HDMI chain

yeah in the end I just us the tv and the Q with all the HDMI ports. I'll let the engineer play before it gets taken back. Never know I might learn something.. Its all packed away now until Wednesday night when Ill get it out again ready for the attendance. Ill make sure its just the Sky Q at first too.

Probably not at that price difference. Given you can now get the 55Q90r for £2499 maybe £3299 might have been more suitable?
It looks more desirable now at £2999.

In the market for a new TV and the 900 and 950 are both appealing.

Has anyone gone from the 900 to the 950?
Any specific thoughts or comments?

What is best price currently on the 900 and 950 in 65 inch?

Thanks.

In the market for a new TV and the 900 and 950 are both appealing.

Has anyone gone from the 900 to the 950?
Any specific thoughts or comments?

What is best price currently on the 900 and 950 in 65 inch?

Thanks.
I did.

Main difference was screen reflections.

I have sliding patio doors directly opposite the tv and for about an hour in the afternoon it was unwatchable.

The switch to the 950 has completely resolved that.

Other than that nothing of note I can recall. Both were excellent pictures.

yeah in the end I just us the tv and the Q with all the HDMI ports. I'll let the engineer play before it gets taken back. Never know I might learn something.. Its all packed away now until Wednesday night when Ill get it out again ready for the attendance. Ill make sure its just the Sky Q at first too.
How did you get on?

Just had confirmation from Samsung, my Q950R arrives Thursday & they are also installing it.

Well the Q950R arrived and the Q9FN has gone.

Must say that after reading many negative opinions on this TV, it's much better than I expected it to be.

That said, having come from the Q9FN, the difference in contrast ratio is HUGE & I already miss it.

Dark scenes especially just appear more washed out than they did on the Q9FN. Bright scenes are good, very good even.

Gaming seems equally as good as the Q9FN, though once again that native contrast ratio is not even close. Plus due to the local dimming taking a big step back whilst in game mode, dark scenes look rough unless I turn on some kind of ambient light. (This was an issue with both TVs, just the Q9FN performed better)

It's not a bad TV by any stretch of the imagination, just not quite sure where Samsung decided to ask for some ridiculous prices.

I have noted though that the one connect box on this gets SIGNIFICANTLY hotter than it did on my Q9FN, and that burned out on me last time! Though didn't happen on my prior 3.

I also seem to have got lucky in the panel lottery, very very little DSE & no noticeable banding. Very happy on that front.

I now need to figure out a way to get this TV either returned or sold. Not sure many will pay the price for these on Ebay even at a reduced price.

Samsung exchanged this TV for me as a replacement to my 4th faulty Q9FN, so they wont accept back either.

Must say that after reading many negative opinions on this TV, it's much better than I expected it to be.

That said, having come from the Q9FN, the difference in contrast ratio is HUGE & I already miss it.

Dark scenes especially just appear more washed out than they did on the Q9FN. Bright scenes are good, very good even.

Gaming seems equally as good as the Q9FN, though once again that native contrast ratio is not even close. Plus due to the local dimming taking a big step back whilst in game mode, dark scenes look rough unless I turn on some kind of ambient light. (This was an issue with both TVs, just the Q9FN performed better)

It's not a bad TV by any stretch of the imagination, just not quite sure where Samsung decided to ask for some ridiculous prices.

I have noted though that the one connect box on this gets SIGNIFICANTLY hotter than it did on my Q9FN, and that burned out on me last time! Though didn't happen on my prior 3.

I also seem to have got lucky in the panel lottery, very very little DSE & no noticeable banding. Very happy on that front.

I now need to figure out a way to get this TV either returned or sold. Not sure many will pay the price for these on Ebay even at a reduced price.

Samsung exchanged this TV for me as a replacement to my 4th faulty Q9FN, so they wont accept back either.

For what it's worth, I have to use dynamic picture mode to get the best contrast on this TV and also turn off the smart picture mode too then set everything from there. Standard was too average to me, waiting for future updates to see where it goes.

I have now purchased an LG C9 65" for comparison & I'm blown away.

How is the LG so much more vivid? (800nit v 3000)

I didn't believe it could be, and in store it certainly didn't look it, but at home with my own content its vastly improved.

How did Samsung make such a mess of this TV compared to last years offerings?

I have now purchased an LG C9 65" for comparison & I'm blown away.

How is the LG so much more vivid? (800nit v 3000)

I didn't believe it could be, and in store it certainly didn't look it, but at home with my own content its vastly improved.

How did Samsung make such a mess of this TV compared to last years offerings?
The Human eye by its design picks up a variation of colours more easily closer to black than it does at higher brightness levels and for most people 700 nits is already "too" bright. So really an OLED (especially for dark room watching) can deliver much better "pop" through higher contrast ratio.

I don't think that this years Samsung's are any better or worse overall than last years models, its just they still come with the usual pros and cons of LCD tech.

The Human eye by its design picks up a variation of colours more easily closer to black than it does at higher brightness levels and for most people 700 nits is already "too" bright. So really an OLED (especially for dark room watching) can deliver much better "pop" through higher contrast ratio.

I don't think that this years Samsung's are any better or worse overall than last years models, its just they still come with the usual pros and cons of LCD tech.
That all kind of makes sense. Playing Gears 5 on the OLED now & its mind blowing how much better it looks that the Q950R. It's not even close.

Using 4K HDR Switch to flick between the two screens. Game been played on PC.

Ofcourse the big worry with OLED is burn in, it's the only thing holding me back from keeping it. I can already feel the "Have I had the telly on too long?" itch getting at me.

It can also depend on the title, and how much you care about picture accuracy compared to how "striking" it looks.

Many games for example can be mastered at very high nits, as much as 10,000. If a game is mastered to this level and has a high average brightness then it can display more accurately on a TV that has more peak brightness like the Samsung models do.

By comparison, to get the dynamic range from an OLED you rely on dynamic tone mapping to compress that 10,000 down to 700 whilst retaining detail, or you just clip 700 and up and lose the detail.

Luckily the introduction of dynamic meta data and cleverer tone mapping algorithms means that its possible to get good HDR even with lower peak brightness, especially with an OLED.

One thing that also is improving in the games industry is the adoption of adjustable peak brightness. In games that have the ability to adjust the peak brightness it won't matter so much, if at all if the display is capable of less nits.

I wouldn't worry so much about burn in personally, especially if you play a variety of games. the rtings.com test worked out you'd need to play the same CoD game for each day for 2h for 7 years before you get burn in...and that's on 2017 models when in the past two years small things have been changed to reduce the risk even further.

How are you guys getting on with the Q950?

I still have both it & the C9......struggling between the two if I'm honest.

Overall the LG wins, it's just that burn in nag that's still holding me back. Gaming on the Q950 is horrible due to the native contrast, but in movies I think I actually prefer it over the C9.

There was an update the other day on the Q950R, does anybody have any idea what it included?

I'm tempted to pick up a Q900R to see how that compares with the Q950. I came from a Q9FN and it seems they share similar features (excluding the 8K res)

What a massive disappointment this TV is!

Coming from a 65 inch 2016 LG E6, there is no comparison, the LG is better in every way. I had high hopes that these QLED sets may finally have caught up, I was wrong.

Not tried anything fancy, just a side by side comparison between the LG and the Samsung.

@ToonTonic - don't worry about burn in, unless the newer sets are much worse (doubt it?) the 2016 has been superb, also have the 2017 B7 and that's not had an issue either.

What a massive disappointment this TV is!

Coming from a 65 inch 2016 LG E6, there is no comparison, the LG is better in every way. I had high hopes that these QLED sets may finally have caught up, I was wrong.

Not tried anything fancy, just a side by side comparison between the LG and the Samsung.

@ToonTonic - don't worry about burn in, unless the newer sets are much worse (doubt it?) the 2016 has been superb, also have the 2017 B7 and that's not had an issue either.
Yeah I'm reading that it's a far blown out issue, yet without doubt it can happen.

I'm sure your aware, I have the Q950R & LG C9. Tomorrow I shall also have the 2018 Q900R to compare against the other two.

Id like the Q900R to be very much like my old Q9FN, if so, I'll be keeping it. That was VERY good.

If not, I'll be getting the 77" C9 rather than this 65".

I understand why Samsung went for the wide angle viewing filters on the Q950R, but coming from a Q9FN it's such a huge step backwards in native contrast.

What frustrates me more is the obviously paid off reviewers. My wife (who isnt the little bit interested in TVs tbh) noticed the difference within 5 seconds between the Q9FN & Q950. Not quite sure how this set earned 5/5 in the slightest.

Yeah I'm reading that it's a far blown out issue, yet without doubt it can happen.

I'm sure your aware, I have the Q950R & LG C9. Tomorrow I shall also have the 2018 Q900R to compare against the other two.

Id like the Q900R to be very much like my old Q9FN, if so, I'll be keeping it. That was VERY good.

If not, I'll be getting the 77" C9 rather than this 65".

I understand why Samsung went for the wide angle viewing filters on the Q950R, but coming from a Q9FN it's such a huge step backwards in native contrast.

What frustrates me more is the obviously paid off reviewers. My wife (who isnt the little bit interested in TVs tbh) noticed the difference within 5 seconds between the Q9FN & Q950. Not quite sure how this set earned 5/5 in the slightest.

Agreed; the reviewers are obviously reviewing a different set! I keep thinking “it’s actually alright” at times; but it should be more than alright! It’s their ‘flagship’ set!

Interested to see how the Q900R compares. I do like how SmartThings has been implemented, I.e someone rings the doorbell or it alerts for motion and get a nice little pop up on the tv screen. That (so far) is the only thing that has really impressed me...says it all I guess!?

Now noticing vertical bands all the way across the set, is this normal for these panels??

Decision made, it's going back. But be aware, if you initiate the return online and receive an email stating your return has been received and the courier will contact you within 24 hours to arrange collection....this is not true. Apparently this is only for small items 😂:facepalm:

Finally returned! What a mess Samsung ‘support’ is!

Now waiting for a refund on two sets (one which I cancelled before delivery and they ‘lost’) and another which was returned yesterday.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom