Samsung 90t or Sony 900h

Wisconsin guy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have watched tons of reviews and seen comparison videos but I’m hoping for some real world thought on how these TVs compare. It’s a multi purpose tv in a well lit room. Play lots of games and lots of sports espn etc, well during normal conditions. I’ve had a few people say motion is not good on Samsung tv and I know it’s 8bit with f.c. However the Sony has a lot of blooming issues it seems and the fact they are trying to update firmware for hdmi 2.1 concerns me slightly.

Vincent and ratings have put the q 90t ahead of the so y while it is significantly more expensive as well.

have small space so was planning on going with a Samsung atmos soundbar which pairs with the Samsung tv nicely and has pass through for hdmi 2.1.

appreciate any info on both of these tv that could help me out in my final descion.

I have watched tons of reviews and seen comparison videos but I’m hoping for some real world thought on how these TVs compare. It’s a multi purpose tv in a well lit room. Play lots of games and lots of sports espn etc, well during normal conditions. I’ve had a few people say motion is not good on Samsung tv and I know it’s 8bit with f.c. However the Sony has a lot of blooming issues it seems and the fact they are trying to update firmware for hdmi 2.1 concerns me slightly.

Vincent and ratings have put the q 90t ahead of the so y while it is significantly more expensive as well.

have small space so was planning on going with a Samsung atmos soundbar which pairs with the Samsung tv nicely and has pass through for hdmi 2.1.

appreciate any info on both of these tv that could help me out in my final descion.

Do you mean the XH9005 or the XH9505? I've also not seen anywhere directly compare the two sets yet, do you have a link for that?

Do you mean the XH9005 or the XH9505? I've also not seen anywhere directly compare the two sets yet, do you have a link for that?
Well in the us it is called the Sony 900h and it is suppose to get an hdmi 2.1 update before the ps5 releases. Not sure on actual mode number

Well in the us it is called the Sony 900h and it is suppose to get an hdmi 2.1 update before the ps5 releases. Not sure on actual mode number

That's the XH9005 in the UK, and it's not a great set.

Out of interest, why do you say it's not a great set?

Not great bightness and blacks not as good. Don't get me wrong its a decent set but it's overpriced, when for a couple of hundred more you can get the much better XH95.

Not great bightness and blacks not as good. Don't get me wrong its a decent set but it's overpriced, when for a couple of hundred more you can get the much better XH95.

Thanks, I will take a look at that review.

I guess the only downside is that the 95 doesn't have 120hz (assuming the update goes ahead of course!)
It's a shame they couldn't release one TV for both gamers and movie fans.

Thanks, I will take a look at that review.

I guess the only downside is that the 95 doesn't have 120hz (assuming the update goes ahead of course!)
It's a shame they couldn't release one TV for both gamers and movie fans.

Tell me about it! I just can't get my head around why they wouldn't have 120hz on both. I've seen it said that the XH95 has the tech onboard to upgrade to 120hz in the future but I'm not convinced and have to presume it never will be. IF gaming is the deal breaker then the XH9005 is probably the one to go for but then you sacrifice the HDR quality. Always pros and cons arent there!

Bar a few indie exceptions it's highly unlikely we'll see 120/4k on the next gen machines. HDMI 2.1 would be nice but I'm actually dubious if it'll be a huge aspect of the upcoming consoles.

Bar a few indie exceptions it's highly unlikely we'll see 120/4k on the next gen machines. HDMI 2.1 would be nice but I'm actually dubious if it'll be a huge aspect of the upcoming consoles.
Not sure I would be prepared to take that chance if purchasing a new TV where a PS5 would be used.
There are already some titles in the pipeline at 120fps (big named publishers), so I reckon it will be only a matter of time before more and more become available. May as well be as future ready as can be (if that's possible in this day and age!)

The likes of DIRT 5 is advertising as running at 120fps but at a reduced resolution - 120/4k won't happen on AAA games or anything bar the odd basic/indie type game IMO.

VRR would be nice to have but as I said I wouldn't get caught up in the 120fps at 4k and I certainly wouldn't hold my breath for that.........

Would be nice to be proven wrong but even at that, it will be a few years off.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom