Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos Soundbar Review & Comments

Well it’s been working great since we bought it when it was launched, was it that long ago?

Anyhoo occasionally now, too occasionally actually we get a “bubbling” on the sound, like a digital distortion and the only way to cure it is to disconnect power and reconnect (dead reboot) then it works fine again.

Also noticed when using ATMOS from streaming services (not tried DVD actually) the rear speakers appear now to start “hissing” when producing surround sound placement.

Have you added any new Wi-Fi devices to your home lately as this could be an interference issue with other equipment.

So today after using this thing for several years the rear speakers seem to not be powering on for no particular reason. Nothing has changed in my environment. I turned on the sound bar to be greeted with check wireless speaker on the screen. The left one had no lights or led flashing or blinking. I unplugged it and checked the connection. No change. Then I unplugged the right one which was working and no that won't power on either. Having spoken with a Samsung live chat agent they are suggesting contacting a local authorised repair centre. I will contact them tomorrow to see what they have to say. In the mean time, is there anything that I could try at home?

So today after using this thing for several years the rear speakers seem to not be powering on for no particular reason. Nothing has changed in my environment. I turned on the sound bar to be greeted with check wireless speaker on the screen. The left one had no lights or led flashing or blinking. I unplugged it and checked the connection. No change. Then I unplugged the right one which was working and no that won't power on either. Having spoken with a Samsung live chat agent they are suggesting contacting a local authorised repair centre. I will contact them tomorrow to see what they have to say. In the mean time, is there anything that I could try at home?
I had the exact same issue. Well out of warranty and not worth the cost of a Samsung diagnostic and repair so I got a friend of mine, who is a dab hand at electronics repairs, to take look.

Once he finally managed to get into it and past all the insulation foam crap inside he discovered parts on the power board had blown. He did manage to repair it, parts cost about £30, labour cost was a few beers (not sure how that would equate in real terms)..

It was so weird that when the issue started with the left, I decided to check the right one only for the same exact thing to happen to it. I must say I am quite gutted by this. As you know when new this thing was expensive af. I have had issues with connection dropping and having to manually sync up all the speakers again several times. I don't know if I would get another one of these by Samsung with there being so many more available now. I did see one by LG which is the same sort of thing with wireless rear speakers but it probably won't get past the wife approval stage as we also had to replace our washing machine which died only a few weeks back

Other option is to see if you can buy a used / part faulty set where the rears work maybe.
I was thinking this, maybe work emailing Richersounds to see if they have anything. Worth checking out eBay as well although that is a bit more risky I guess.

My k950 is with RS currently as the rears have developed this really annoying static noise when content is playing. Makes no difference if it's via an input on the bar or through arc across various different apps.

I have also had disconnection issues with this system although recently it's got better, but now with the annoying static noise.

I was thinking this, maybe work emailing Richersounds to see if they have anything. Worth checking out eBay as well although that is a bit more risky I guess.

My k950 is with RS currently as the rears have developed this really annoying static noise when content is playing. Makes no difference if it's via an input on the bar or through arc across various different apps.

I have also had disconnection issues with this system although recently it's got better, but now with the annoying static noise.
We have started (started about a year ago) getting a hissing (static) noise same as you only when there is content for the rears, otherwise they are silent and you can definitely hear when it starts along with rear effects.

It‘s only in our sitting room so not too bothered at present as anything that might be remotely effects heavy we nip into the cinema room.

No excuse though, it really shouldn’t be happening.

Last edited:
Bit more of an update. I took the power lead from my sub and plugged it into the rear speaker which initially didn't have an issue, it powered on! Then I took that same power lead to the other rear speaker, it didn't power on. I then tried it on the speaker which worked moments before and now it won't power on again. Took that power lead back to my sub and now that won't power on either. So now i have just the sound bar working, no wireless rear or sub.

The issue is seems to all have in common one particular mains plug in my house which I can only assume is blowing fuses on the power leads. This particular plug is where the speaker is plugged into where I first noticed an issue. If it's not fuses I guess something else is wrong with the leads as the one from my sub did power on the other speaker and it failed when it plugged it into said mains plug. If it's not fuses or leads Richer Sounds will be having the whole lot took in store and send it off for repair as I simply don't have the means to fund such a purchase again at this time

Bit more of an update. I took the power lead from my sub and plugged it into the rear speaker which initially didn't have an issue, it powered on! Then I took that same power lead to the other rear speaker, it didn't power on. I then tried it on the speaker which worked moments before and now it won't power on again. Took that power lead back to my sub and now that won't power on either. So now i have just the sound bar working, no wireless rear or sub.

The issue is seems to all have in common one particular mains plug in my house which I can only assume is blowing fuses on the power leads. This particular plug is where the speaker is plugged into where I first noticed an issue. If it's not fuses I guess something else is wrong with the leads as the one from my sub did power on the other speaker and it failed when it plugged it into said mains plug. If it's not fuses or leads Richer Sounds will be having the whole lot took in store and send it off for repair as I simply don't have the means to fund such a purchase again at this time
Hopefully it is that sockets then and that can be replaced and maybe you will just need some new cables 👍

We have started (started about a year ago) getting a hissing (static) noise same as you only when there is content for the rears, otherwise they are silent and you can definitely hear when it starts along with rear effects.

It‘s only in our sitting room so not too bothered at present as anything that might be remotely effects heavy we nip into the cinema room.

No excuse though, it really shouldn’t be happening.
That's interesting you have experienced this too, couldn't find anything online about it, but that is exactly what I get.

I felt a bit of a tool explaining to RS as I thought they would test it I find no issue. Mine actually started at least 9 months ago but it was the kids telling me they can hear a hissing noise and I stupidly dismissed it! Egg in my face

I went to homebase and bought a pack of 4 3a fuses for £3 which wasn't too bad. I replaced the fuses in the 3 wireless pieces.

The surround right and subwoofer powered on but not the surround left which was the troublesome one. So I used the spare fuse which didn't work. Then I took my sub power cable and plugged it in and tried it in a socket in a different location and it didn't work. That now won't power the sub again. So out of 4 fuses I have knackered 3 - potentially.

What I do know is the surround right and sub work but now I need another fuse to go into my sub power cable so it will hopefully work again.

Still leaves me with an issue with my left speaker of which it seems to be something different than a fuse. But very strange how replacing the other fuses worked for the other two.

So I guess my left speaker is going to have to be properly looked at by someone who can repair it as replacing the whole system is out of the question for the time being

Last edited:
I had the exact same issue. Well out of warranty and not worth the cost of a Samsung diagnostic and repair so I got a friend of mine, who is a dab hand at electronics repairs, to take look.

Once he finally managed to get into it and past all the insulation foam crap inside he discovered parts on the power board had blown. He did manage to repair it, parts cost about £30, labour cost was a few beers (not sure how that would equate in real terms)..
Can I ask, was this your post on Samsung website? Hw-k950 rear speakers no power

Cos it's the only thing I can find that seems to be the same as my issue.

More positive news, got another pack of fuses today so my sub and right surround speaker are up and running and also got an appointment with a local guy to see if he can repair the left. Will be dropping it off tomorrow evening.

When choosing my K950 soundbar as output device in the Spotify app, music stops playing after a few minutes. After this happens, I am able to select the soundbar in the Spotify app again and starts playing again, but after a few minutes, the music stops playing again.

This happens when using Spotify on my phone and laptop, so it seems an issue of the soundbar. Playing to another device works fine, without stopping every few minutes.

Does anyone recognize this problem?

When choosing my K950 soundbar as output device in the Spotify app, music stops playing after a few minutes. After this happens, I am able to select the soundbar in the Spotify app again and starts playing again, but after a few minutes, the music stops playing again.

This happens when using Spotify on my phone and laptop, so it seems an issue of the soundbar. Playing to another device works fine, without stopping every few minutes.

Does anyone recognize this problem?
Yes. Its a Samsung soundbar.

My K950 keeps restarting after x seconds/minutes, Hello on the display etc.
A factory reset does nog fix this. Anyone else expierienced this before?

Hey dude you are not alone in this there is quite alot of reports of the same thing happening.

Just to update with a solution if anyone else finds them self here

Turn it off, unplug all hdmi wires and leave the power wire in

Press the power on and then press and hold the settings button on the remote. After a few seconds on the screen 0 150 will be displayed, keep holding settings and then INIT should be displayed on the screen.

This should factory reset the unit.

The problem seems to be something to do with when it's connecting to the internet and so by factory reset it will clear your network settings.

I tried to connect mine back to the internet again and it started doing the same thing again. Others have reported the screen is displaying the HELLO message differently, not sure if a update has been pushed or not but I can't get mine to stay on long enough for it to check. So I had to repeat the above steps and leaving it without internet for now.

Best of luck for others with the same problem!

My K950 keeps restarting after x seconds/minutes, Hello on the display etc.
A factory reset does nog fix this. Anyone else expierienced this before?

Hey dude you are not alone in this there is quite alot of reports of the same thing happening.

Just to update with a solution if anyone else finds them self here

Turn it off, unplug all hdmi wires and leave the power wire in

Press the power on and then press and hold the settings button on the remote. After a few seconds on the screen 0 150 will be displayed, keep holding settings and then INIT should be displayed on the screen.

This should factory reset the unit.

The problem seems to be something to do with when it's connecting to the internet and so by factory reset it will clear your network settings.

I tried to connect mine back to the internet again and it started doing the same thing again. Others have reported the screen is displaying the HELLO message differently, not sure if a update has been pushed or not but I can't get mine to stay on long enough for it to check. So I had to repeat the above steps and leaving it without internet for now.

Best of luck for others with the same problem!
Yes disconnect from internet solves the problem!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom