Samsung HW-N950 discussion/owners thread

I'm a little confused about what is required here. Do you need 2 HDMI outs for TV and Projector like a mid-range AVR has or do you just have a projector?

I have the K950 with the HDMI out connected to my TV and the SKYQ on HDMI 1 and a Panny UB700 on HDMI2.

I also have a projector which instead of using a splitter i just swap the TV HDMI OUT with the Projector one as SKYQ uses 50Hz UHD and i haven't found a reliable splitter that can handle SKYQ unlike the good old 1080p one i had by Wyrestorm for SKYHD.

So is your projector connected via the ARC out?

Yes its in the ARC out as that's the only out on the soundbar. I had an AVR with separate speakers but it was somehow too complicated for wife, so the soundbar was the only other option and was much easier for me to just swap a cable when needing to use the PJ.

So in the end i gave up trying to use a splitter and i just swap the cable connections now (From the OUT of the soundbar) and have a join HDMI-HDMI (Female-female) inline and just physically swap it when i use the projector which is only about 1-2 times a week at best. Not ideal but no splitter has ever work successfully mainly to the TV being 4K and the projector being 4k faux so 1080p input, it just messes with the splitter and the aggro from the wife wasn't worth it.

The perfect soundbar for me would have 2 outs and at least 4 inputs, but i doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Hoping to get delivery of this tomorrow and set it up.

Can anyone recommend where i can get any atmos or dts x demo material to help set speakers up?

How did you get on, was it delivered today?

How did you get on, was it delivered today?

Yes - managed to spend a bit of time getting setup.

ATV and x700 UHD are direct connection to Soundbar hdmi 1 & 2.

Virgin box is connected direct to tv hdmi 1 and TV ARC is connected to Soundbar.

Not sure I’ve sorted it right yet, so will spend more time tomorrow.

On initial listening, Atmos via ATV box sounded awesome!

Noticed that the LG shows Dolby Vision is about to play, and the bar says Atmos - did think the TV would say Atmos and Vision.

Pretty sure LG Netflix app said Atmos and Vision on screen.

Not tried a UHD Disc yet - will do nearer the weekend.

Noticed that the LG shows Dolby Vision is about to play, and the bar says Atmos - did think the TV would say Atmos and Vision.

Pretty sure LG Netflix app said Atmos and Vision on screen.

Hi mate

LG's have a feature where the TV can decode atmos internally and play it back through its own speakers. I would guess it was doing this when the internal app showed it as being available on the TV. As long as DV is engaged on the TV and you get the quick atmos message on the bar then all is working as it should.

Another way to check atmos (and DTS:X) is engaged on the bar is to look at the setting for the pseudo modes (standard,smart,surround) I can see this on my TV as I have a Samsung but it can also be viewed via the smartthings app. IF atmos is being received then these modes are greyed out and are no longer selectable

cheers

Hi mate

LG's have a feature where the TV can decode atmos internally and play it back through its own speakers. I would guess it was doing this when the internal app showed it as being available on the TV. As long as DV is engaged on the TV and you get the quick atmos message on the bar then all is working as it should.

Another way to check atmos (and DTS:X) is engaged on the bar is to look at the setting for the pseudo modes (standard,smart,surround) I can see this on my TV as I have a Samsung but it can also be viewed via the smartthings app. IF atmos is being received then these modes are greyed out and are no longer selectable

cheers

Thanks for the reply @chopples

I'll play around a bit more with it tonight and try using the smartthings app also.

In settings on the TV and BD player, should audio be set to LCPM, Bitstream, Auto or anything else?

I'll play around a bit more with it tonight and try using the smartthings app also.

In settings on the TV and BD player, should audio be set to LCPM, Bitstream, Auto or anything else?

Did you purchase this from Richersounds in the end? If so, they are doing a 10% code on soundbars (may be for VIP members only), so you may be able to claim some money back, depending on how much it cost you of course.

Hi mate

Will need to be bitstream as the atmos metadata is contained within the original audio container and would be lost if this was unpacked and decoded on the player rather than the bar, the exception being the Apple TV as that uses dolby Mat for delivery of its atmos content

Cheers

Did you purchase this from Richersounds in the end? If so, they are doing a 10% code on soundbars (may be for VIP members only), so you may be able to claim some money back, depending on how much it cost you of course.

Hi mate - yes i did get it from RS, but there was no mention of a 10% offer - I did get £50 knocked off the £1199 price for the SB50 code someone mentioned here the other day bringing it to £1149.

Was the 10% off a live VIP deal over last weekend?

I am still sitting on the fence with this, as I read some really great reviews and then I read negative ones about connectivity, lack of options and lack of deep bass!

For you owners out there, do you see any of these issues? I have a Sony tv if that assists with your reply.

Thanks

Hi mate - yes i did get it from RS, but there was no mention of a 10% offer - I did get £50 knocked off the £1199 price for the SB50 code someone mentioned here the other day bringing it to £1149.

Was the 10% off a live VIP deal over last weekend?
I received an email yesterday, saying 10% off Soundbars - SBAR10. I wasn't sure whether they had some form of Price guarantee for a period of time?

I received an email yesterday, saying 10% off Soundbars - SBAR10. I wasn't sure whether they had some form of Price guarantee for a period of time?

Just checked the site and its selected bars - doesnt work with the N950

I am still sitting on the fence with this, as I read some really great reviews and then I read negative ones about connectivity, lack of options and lack of deep bass!

For you owners out there, do you see any of these issues? I have a Sony tv if that assists with your reply.

Thanks

So far so good. Would have been nice to have an extra HDMI, but i can manage with my ATV and UHD player feeding into those two and my Virgin box going through the TV.

Not noticed any issues yet - it all seems to be working...which is nice.

The bass is definitely not lacking - neither in the bar or the sub - bass is very good.

Hi mate

Will need to be bitstream as the atmos metadata is contained within the original audio container and would be lost if this was unpacked and decoded on the player rather than the bar, the exception being the Apple TV as that uses dolby Mat for delivery of its atmos content

Cheers

Cheers - i'll give it a try later and report back.

So far so good. Would have been nice to have an extra HDMI, but i can manage with my ATV and UHD player feeding into those two and my Virgin box going through the TV.

Not noticed any issues yet - it all seems to be working...which is nice.

The bass is definitely not lacking - neither in the bar or the sub - bass is very good.

That's good to hear, I hope it stays that way. :)

I tried it and it worked? SBAR10 (not sure if capitals are needed). £1079.10

Hmm, that does indeed work - may have to give them a ring to see if i can get anything back.

Thanks
I think that the sub-woofer placement is vital in getting good quality bass from it, I have no issues at all and the bass is great. Especially coming from a bass heavy Jamo THX System One setup before.
I am actually blown away by this sound bar, both in terms price and performance.

I think that the sub-woofer placement is vital in getting good quality bass from it, I have no issues at all and the bass is great. Especially coming from a bass heavy Jamo THX System One setup before.
I am actually blown away by this sound bar, both in terms price and performance.
Thanks @Rizvan - Any issues with ARC or connection issues between the soundbar and the speakers? Or listening to anything other than Atmos sound modes?
Does the 5 min standby cause you any grief?

And last of all, any regrets purchasing this in general?

Thanks and I appreciate your reply.

Last edited:
Thanks @Rizvan - Any issues with ARC or connection issues between the soundbar and the speakers?
Does the 5 min standby cause you any grief?

And last of all, any regrets purchasing this in general?

Thanks and I appreciate your reply.
I initially had problems getting my Sony X700 4K UHD player to work correctly with both the sound bar and then TV, it ended up being the HDMI cables, nothing to do with the sound bar it seemed.
However I still need to do more testing to ensure HDMI ARC is working properly as there has been an instance where the sound bar wouldn't pass through any picture to the TV.
I have upgraded the firmware to ver 1005 so will see how it goes.
I have no issues with the speakers or sub-woofer losing signal etc, all works great.
The 5 min auto-power off issue has not affected me yet, no done enough viewing for it to happen.

I initially had problems getting my Sony X700 4K UHD player to work correctly with both the sound bar and then TV, it ended up being the HDMI cables, nothing to do with the sound bar it seemed.
However I still need to do more testing to ensure HDMI ARC is working properly as there has been an instance where the sound bar wouldn't pass through any picture to the TV.
I have upgraded the firmware to ver 1005 so will see how it goes.
I have no issues with the speakers or sub-woofer losing signal etc, all works great.
The 5 min auto-power off issue has not affected me yet, no done enough viewing for it to happen.

I have a X800 UHD player and I am using fairly decent hdmi's, so hopefully they won't be an issue, but it's definitely worth bearing in mind.

Otherwise it sounds promising, especially when compared to the Sony HST5000.

Thanks again.

I have a X800 UHD player and I am using fairly decent hdmi's, so hopefully they won't be an issue, but it's definitely worth bearing in mind.

Otherwise it sounds promising, especially when compared to the Sony HST5000.

Thanks again.
I looked at quite a few sound bars but nothing ticked the boxed like the N950.
It uses dedicated amplifiers and speakers as opposed to trickery like the some of the Sony sound bars.
Samsung market it as a true 7.1.4 sound system however it actually has 11 speakers. :D

Right
Right Wide
Right Atmos
Centre
Left
Left Wide
Left Atmos
Right Rear
Right Rear Atmos
Left Rear
Left Rear Atmos
Subwoofer

After another brief spell of trying a few things out all seems to be working well :)

Steamed some music via the smartthings app & deezer and was very impressed by the sonic soundstage - whether from just the bar & sub or with the rears included.

Inputs are all setup correctly (with the ATV and X700 directly into the bar and 'sharing' the HDMI 1 tv input. I can confirm Atmos sounds stuning via Netflix and ATV.

Will need to pick up a UHD to test out the x700.

Matrix Reloaded in Atmos is OUTSTANDING , IMHO the trick with the 950 is getting the master volume to the highest you can to get everything to kick in correctly and keep moving the sub to find the sweet spot .
for me its MV + 20 and every speaker except centre - 6 including sub . centre - 3
the 950 sounds better than the 7.1 fixed system i had in my last flat and that was very good and more expensive

Had the n950 for six months, very happy with it, but I want to use it to its full potential, i understand if a certain button is held down for more than 5 seconds another batch of adjustments are available can anyone tell me what they do, I have the unit wall mounted and found smart sound function the best, also I have tried turning each speaker down to -2 to -3 and set the speech channel between 0 and -1 depending on what show is on, this seems to make for less distortion on speech and brings the Dolby Atmos effect to life,anyone else have a preference.

Hi, which button do you press?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom