Samsung HW-Q70R Soundbar Review & Comments

Very good review Steve, such a shame this only has one HDMI input, that's a deal breaker for me.

Do the other higher end soundbars that Samsung are bringing out have more inputs?

Sounds good but ultimately it's a Samsung so I'll be sticking with my Yamaha setup.

Very good review Steve, such a shame this only has one HDMI input, that's a deal breaker for me. Do the other higher end soundbars that Samsung are bringing out have more inputs?
The lack of HDMI inputs on Samsung soundbars is a constant source of annoyance to me. I've currently got (Samsung subsidiary) Harman Kardon's Citation Bar in for review, and that's got three in and one out, which is more like it.

The HW-Q90 and HW-Q80 each have two in and one out, which is slightly better than the HW-Q70. I think two should be the minimum, because you can easily have two lossless sources – Blu-ray player and game console for example.

The lack of HDMI inputs on Samsung soundbars is a constant source of annoyance to me. I've currently got (Samsung subsidiary) Harman Kardon's Citation Bar in for review, and that's got three in and one out, which is more like it.

The HW-Q90 and HW-Q80 each have two in and one out, which is slightly better than the HW-Q70. I think two should be the minimum, because you can easily have two lossless sources – Blu-ray player and game console for example.

Absolutely agree. 2 is a minimum, especially when you factor in that Sky/BT/Virgin are starting (or will be) to do Atmos, games consoles as you say and a blu-ray player.

Look forward to hearing the HK Citation review, will that be on AVForums?

Absolutely agree. 2 is a minimum, especially when you factor in that Sky/BT/Virgin are starting (or will be) to do Atmos, games consoles as you say and a blu-ray player.

Look forward to hearing the HK Citation review, will that be on AVForums?
Yes it will be on AVForums, as will the HW-Q90R. It's worth remembering that just because a service offers Dolby Atmos, that doesn't mean it's lossless. I would imagine Sky/BT/Virgin will deliver Atmos using lossy Dolby Digital Plus.

Yes it will be on AVForums, as will the HW-Q90R. It's worth remembering that just because a service offers Dolby Atmos, that doesn't mean it's lossless. I would imagine Sky/BT/Virgin will deliver Atmos using lossy Dolby Digital Plus.
Steve, did you say in your review that you got Atmos from Netflix on the new Q70 QLED? It's an utter bone of contention that my Q7FN Netflix app doesn't pass Atmos.

Steve, did you say in your review that you got Atmos from Netflix on the new Q70 QLED? It's an utter bone of contention that my Q7FN Netflix app doesn't pass Atmos.
Yes I did, which surprised me because I wasn't expecting the 55Q70 to actually do it.

How can you tell if it's lossy atmos or not? Didn't realise there was such a thing if I'm honest!

IMHO, no eArc when sony's entry level has it and most 2019 TV have it is a definite deal breaker...

IMHO, no eArc when sony's entry level has it and most 2019 TV have it is a definite deal breaker...
It doesn't currently support eARC, but there's no reason why it can't be added via a firmware update.

Well this isn’t good. Back to the drawing board. Steve, I also have the lg 65C8 and was looking at the hw-n850 or this q70r. What do you think would be the best Atmos sound bar for our tv?

assuming you will not get eArc on your C8 you cant beat the yamaha ysp5600
if you think eArc will come go with the sony Ht-ST5000.
if money is no object and you want a monster of a bar take a look at the senhheizer ambeo soundbar

It doesn't currently support eARC, but there's no reason why it can't be added via a firmware update.
thanks for your answer. however, samsung is keeping quite on this. its a mistake to buy something based on wishful thinking...
I still feel strongly about what I said. buying a soundbar without eArc today is a mistake.

Well this isn’t good. Back to the drawing board. Steve, I also have the lg 65C8 and was looking at the hw-n850 or this q70r. What do you think would be the best Atmos sound bar for our tv?
My personal choice would be the HW-Q90R based on overall performance. If you want Atmos and DTS:X without the hassle of an AVR and speaker package, it's definitely the way to go. Which makes the fact I can't get Atmos back via ARC from my C8 all the more annoying. The C8 does pass Atmos back with LG and Sony soundbars, and 55Q70R passed Atmos back to the HW-Q70 and HW-Q90, so there's something weird going on here. I've asked Samsung to investigate.

Hi Steve,
are you sure it doesn't work, I can get Atmos via Sky Q.
My Sky Q is plugged directly into my C8. :)

33883541458_60e94b3297.jpg

My personal choice would be the HW-Q90R based on overall performance. If you want Atmos and DTS:X without the hassle of an AVR and speaker package, it's definitely the way to go. Which makes the fact I can't get Atmos back via ARC from my C8 all the more annoying. The C8 does pass Atmos back with LG and Sony soundbars, and 55Q70R passed Atmos back to the HW-Q70 and HW-Q90, so there's something weird going on here. I've asked Samsung to investigate.
So you haven’t been able to get Atmos back from the hw-q90r either?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom