Samsung HW-Q800T Soundbar Review & Comments

Thanks for the review more of the same or adding something new then it's predecessor HW -Q70r ?

I'm pretty surprised it supports Dolby Vision passthrough. I think that means Samsung have acknowledged that HDR10+ is a dead format. The HDR10+ consortium website hasn't had an update since the start of the year, 2 of the 3 original backers have given up on the format, leaving only Samsung, who don't produce any content, supporting it. I think we can say now that only HDR and Dolby Vison matter and Samsungs HDR10+ battle with Dolby is over.

I'm pretty surprised it supports Dolby Vision passthrough. I think that means Samsung have acknowledged that HDR10+ is a dead format. The HDR10+ consortium website hasn't had an update since the start of the year, 2 of the 3 original backers have given up on the format, leaving only Samsung, who don't produce any content, supporting it. I think we can say now that only HDR and Dolby Vison matter and Samsungs HDR10+ battle with Dolby is over.
Samsung has supported Dolby Vision passthrough for the last two years, which reflects a pragmatic approach on the part of Samsung when it comes to its soundbars (unlike LG). However I agree with your assessment of the future of HDR10+, with Dolby Vision completely dominating at this point.

Hi Steve,

I think I am getting confused when you say "The inclusion of eARC mitigates the single HDMI input to a degree, although if your TV doesn't support eARC, the audio sent back from the TV will still be lossless." I thought it was only eARC that transmitted lossless audio. I of course may be mixed up.

Thanks for the review, does look like a model refresh/re-name, can't quite get my head around Samsung's naming convention.

On the other hand although this model doesn't necessitate a need for an upgrade, this will certainly suit those moving to the model for the first time.

I am surprised that there isn't the option to buy the up-firing rears (although I know that you can still buy rears for a 5.1.2) in the future. Some may change home or just room and find that they could accomodate the full package, or indeed visit a friend with the full package and want to upgrade.

The scenario that I think a set up like this best suits is when the choice is made to watch and listen to TV across the width of the room rather than the length. That helps with immersion.

Personally I am looking for the 7.1.4 set up, as I can't resist having the full on "bubble" effect.

Look forward to your reviews of the LG SN11 and the Samsung Q900 packages.

Thanks again
Gordon

Hi Steve,

I think I am getting confused when you say "The inclusion of eARC mitigates the single HDMI input to a degree, although if your TV doesn't support eARC, the audio sent back from the TV will still be lossless." I thought it was only eARC that transmitted lossless audio. I of course may be mixed up.

Thanks for the review, does look like a model refresh/re-name, can't quite get my head around Samsung's naming convention.

On the other hand although this model doesn't necessitate a need for an upgrade, this will certainly suit those moving to the model for the first time.

I am surprised that there isn't the option to buy the up-firing rears (although I know that you can still buy rears for a 5.1.2) in the future. Some may change home or just room and find that they could accomodate the full package, or indeed visit a friend with the full package and want to upgrade.

The scenario that I think a set up like this best suits is when the choice is made to watch and listen to TV across the width of the room rather than the length. That helps with immersion.

Personally I am looking for the 7.1.4 set up, as I can't resist having the full on "bubble" effect.

Look forward to your reviews of the LG SN11 and the Samsung Q900 packages.

Thanks again
Gordon
Well spotted, I meant to say lossy not lossless.

Annoying and surprising to see the Sub spec is subpar compared to the SWA700, sticking point for me upgrading from MS650 and SWA700. RMS output is equally lower (Watts)

Annoying and surprising to see the Sub spec is subpar compared to the SWA700, sticking point for me upgrading from MS650 and SWA700. RMS output is equally lower (Watts)
In fairness, those two products together originally cost a lot more than £799.

Samsung has supported Dolby Vision passthrough for the last two years, which reflects a pragmatic approach on the part of Samsung when it comes to its soundbars (unlike LG). However I agree with your assessment of the future of HDR10+, with Dolby Vision completely dominating at this point.

I agree, I just find it really odd that Samsung has decided to licence and support DV on a mid high range soundbar, but none of their other products, including their previous soundbars, and their new 2020 TVs don't support it.

I agree, I just find it really odd that Samsung has decided to licence and support DV on a mid high range soundbar, but none of their other products, including their previous soundbars, and their new 2020 TVs don't support it.
As I said in the post you quote, Samsung has been supporting Dolby Vision passthrough on its soundbars for two years, so this is nothing new. I guess adding Dolby Vision passthrough to the HDMI ports on a soundbar that already supports Dolby Atmos is more straightforward than adding Dolby Vision to TVs that don't support either (although they do pass Atmos back via HDMI-ARC on supporting apps).

Last edited:
In fairness, those two products together originally cost a lot more than £799.
I think the issue Steve, is that the top of the range Q950T will almost certainly use the same sub which is clearly inferior to what was once sold. The SWA700 is a fantastic sub, they should have extended its use to other ranges for those that invested in it. It’s enough of a deal breaker to prevent investment in the top end of the newer ranges. I guess we will have to see what spec comes out.

I think the issue Steve, is that the top of the range Q950T will almost certainly use the same sub which is clearly inferior to what was once sold. The SWA700 is a fantastic sub, they should have extended its use to other ranges for those that invested in it. It’s enough of a deal breaker to prevent investment in the top end of the newer ranges. I guess we will have to see what spec comes out.
The soundbar market is brutally competitive, so I suspect it ultimately comes down to cost.

I do share your sentiments. I would like these companies offering a powerful subwoofer or at least a sub output port but the chances of that happening on a 7.1.4 system appears to be thin.

@Steve Withers I see you have it paired with an LG OLED in the pictures?
Does this soundbar obscure the screen on an LGC9 at all?

Also does the bar have a night mode?

Last edited:

I've also got my eye fixed on the Q950T, what you write does not bode well for the lower frequencies of that set, could you please elaborate a bit? Is the accompanied sub no good?

I've also got my eye fixed on the Q950T, what you write does not bode well for the lower frequencies of that set, could you please elaborate a bit? Is the accompanied sub no good?

So the supplied sub on the 800T at least has a reach of around 35Hz, whereas the SWA700 can go down as low as 27Hz and has roughly double the wattage. We also talking an 8" driver, vs the 10 of the SWA700. Granted the SWA700 was a separate purchase, and never part of a package, but if they can make them that good, they should be making the top tier offerings stand out, or at least have options available

Last edited:
As I said in the post you quote, Samsung has been supporting Dolby Vision passthrough on its soundbars for two years, so this is nothing new. I guess adding Dolby Vision passthrough to the HDMI ports on a soundbar that already supports Dolby Atmos is more straightforward than adding Dolby Vision to TVs that don't support either (although they do pass Atmos back via HDMI-ARC on supporting apps).

Thanks Steve, from what I had seen on forums it didn't appear to be officially supported, and Samsung makes no mention of it in the specs on their website

Does anyone know if you can use the Swa-8500's wireless speakers with this?

Steve, would you pick q800t or its predecessor q70r - if same price?

Hi Steve,
Not sure if you are aware, but this soundbar (Q800T) and possibly more 2020 Samsung soundbars all have a PCM audio processing bug.

Specifically, the soundbar seems to take a long time processing PCM audio. This leads to a 0.5s-1s cut off at the start of the PCM audio. If the sound itself is very short (e.g. Nintendo Switch menu sound), the soundbar just does not output any sound at all.

This is reproducible with any Blu-ray that has a PCM audio track and with a Nintendo Switch which only output PCM audio. You can also test this on a PS4 when audio output is set to LPCM where in some games, menu sounds and music are cut off at the start or completely missing.

This seems like a firmware issue and not sure Samsung is aware or plan on fixing this bug.

Hi Steve,
Adding swa 9000s rear speakers to the soundbar will convert 3.1.2 to 5.1.2 or will it just mirror sound through rear speakers?
Thanks

The soundbar supports 5.1.2-channel decoding, so adding wireless rear speakers will give you a proper 5.1.2-channel system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom