Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Find a nice Title on Blu Ray with good Audio , Then sit back and enjoy.
Its on my to do list, pretty sure I own a few blu rays with atmos, gravity being one of them, to be honest netflix and Disney lossless atmos is pretty decent anyway, the soundbar is perfect for my needs

You won"t know your self now it's like All of your Movies New Again ?
I bought a Panasonic 820 4k Player , It Up converts all Content as well as
it Tweaks HDR Sources to the best they can be.
I also have a 8k HDMI Cable , TV to Sound Bar for the best it can be , Love it.

Was the poor signal to the sub/rears ever sorted ? I have checked smartthings and firmware says it's up to date. Sub is about 6 inches away from the right of the soundbar and it pops quite regularly. Rears are constantly intermittent.

The problem was worse but I put all 4 items on smart plus so they hard reset daily, since then it's much better but still can't get through a movie with out some connection issues.

I have changed between channels 1,2 and 3 and no different on any of them. 5ghz interference is minimal and no channels from the router are ever in heavy use

Any more thoughts ?

Was the poor signal to the sub/rears ever sorted ? I have checked smartthings and firmware says it's up to date. Sub is about 6 inches away from the right of the soundbar and it pops quite regularly. Rears are constantly intermittent.

The problem was worse but I put all 4 items on smart plus so they hard reset daily, since then it's much better but still can't get through a movie with out some connection issues.

I have changed between channels 1,2 and 3 and no different on any of them. 5ghz interference is minimal and no channels from the router are ever in heavy use

Any more thoughts ?
Did you update the rears and sub aswell as the soundbar? As you have to do it seperately.
Screenshot_20220815-075755.png

Did you update the rears and sub aswell as the soundbar? As you have to do it seperately.
View attachment 1738428

M.0133.0
B 1012.6
H 0051.0
FD 0040.0
S 0136.0
W 0240.0
RR 0136.0
RL 0136.0

Are these the latest firmware versions ?

Do you have a link to that page, will check the entire process. Thank you

Last edited:
M.0133.0
B 1012.6
H 0051.0
FD 0040.0
S 0136.0
W 0240.0
RR 0136.0
RL 0136.0

Are these the latest firmware versions ?

Do you have a link to that page, will check the entire process. Thank you

I have the q90r sound bar with sony x90k. All of a sudden I am unable to control the sound bar from either the soundbar remote or tv remote

I have the q90r sound bar with sony x90k. All of a sudden I am unable to control the sound bar from either the soundbar remote or tv remote
Does it lit up still? Have you tried unplugging everything from the wall outlet and reconnect them after 15 minutes?

Hello
So I have a Q90R Tv firmware 1409 connected via hdmi3 (earc auto) to a hw-q90r soundbard firmware 1012.6.

In my pursue of manually ajust levels of the hw-q90r I notice that with either atmos test tones files or atmos demos;

* Playing files directly with usb drive to tv lossy "eac3" atmos files the side firing speakers and rear speakers play simultaneously to simulate left and rigth surrounds channels which sound good. The same situation with top speakers play simultaneously to simulate the left and right tops not so good!

* Playing same files thrue HDMi passthru they will play each speakers "channels" accordingly to the test NOT simultaneously! Making the side speakers sound like NOT surrounds rather sounding like far front left and right respectably , rears channel well defined. Same situation with tops effects, front tops are well defined but rears tops sound more like rears surrounds!

Playing non Atmos files only 7.1 dolby digital either thrue usb or hdmi;

• (Adpative mode) they play the same way side speakers will play together with rears to simulate side surrounds!
  • (Standard mode) Not play the same, thru usb side speakers aren't used! Which it's odd but more well-defined, side surrounds and rears surrounds all channels play by rear speakers.

So from my above tests I'm assuming the Atmos processing from hdmi does not match the usb tests it must be that the TV correctly mix the Atmos to match the receiver device (soundbard) and the soundbard does not mix it correctly to match her own setup or perhaps it's the opposite.

Anyone with same issue?

Last edited:
I have a Q90 soundbar, followed every single method I have seen online for trying to factory reset it but it just doesn't every display the INT on the display? I have tried holding down power button, holding volume + & - at the same time, holding play button when off and probably another 1-2 methods I have forgotten about.

Looking to reset it as the sound has become glitchy and keeps dropping out for a split second, sometimes 3-4 times in 10 seconds which is really annoying. Reached out to Samsung on Twitter and they told me to download the Smarter Things App and they can have a look at the settings (I assume the firmware to see if it is out of date). I got the soundbar in early to mid 2020 and unless it updates manually, I have never updated it myself. When I go into the Smart Things app it discovers my TV fine but cannot find the soundbar. The soundbar has 'Wifi Disconnected' scrolling across the front facing screen when I toggle through the source but for the life of me I cannot find out how to reconnect the Wifi. I don't know if all the issues I am having are linked or if they are separate but without being able to connect my soundbar to my Smart Things App, Samsung are not able to see what firmware it has to be able to try and resolve the glitchy sound.

Any help please? It would REALLY be appreciated as this is driving me nuts

I have a Q90 soundbar, followed every single method I have seen online for trying to factory reset it but it just doesn't every display the INT on the display? I have tried holding down power button, holding volume + & - at the same time, holding play button when off and probably another 1-2 methods I have forgotten about.

Looking to reset it as the sound has become glitchy and keeps dropping out for a split second, sometimes 3-4 times in 10 seconds which is really annoying. Reached out to Samsung on Twitter and they told me to download the Smarter Things App and they can have a look at the settings (I assume the firmware to see if it is out of date). I got the soundbar in early to mid 2020 and unless it updates manually, I have never updated it myself. When I go into the Smart Things app it discovers my TV fine but cannot find the soundbar. The soundbar has 'Wifi Disconnected' scrolling across the front facing screen when I toggle through the source but for the life of me I cannot find out how to reconnect the Wifi. I don't know if all the issues I am having are linked or if they are separate but without being able to connect my soundbar to my Smart Things App, Samsung are not able to see what firmware it has to be able to try and resolve the glitchy sound.

Any help please? It would REALLY be appreciated as this is driving me nuts
Did you press the volume up and down on the bar itself not the remote?

Did you press the volume up and down on the bar itself not the remote?
Yep, tried that. Didn’t work either

Hello
I had my q90r soundbar stored in my basement since late 2020, it has the 1.008 firmware , it was the latest back then without earc still, now i am using the soundbar again but saw a bunch of complaints of people the latest firmware cripples the subwoofer and there is no way to downgrade. So what firmware version do you advise me to do besides the latest, if i can remember the rear speakers were low volume and effects and thats about the only complaint i had besides not having earc.
should i upgrade to the lastest and take the risk, leave it like it is or find a decent in between firmware ?

Hello
I had my q90r soundbar stored in my basement since late 2020, it has the 1.008 firmware , it was the latest back then without earc still, now i am using the soundbar again but saw a bunch of complaints of people the latest firmware cripples the subwoofer and there is no way to downgrade. So what firmware version do you advise me to do besides the latest, if i can remember the rear speakers were low volume and effects and thats about the only complaint i had besides not having earc.
should i upgrade to the lastest and take the risk, leave it like it is or find a decent in between firmware ?
I had the latest and didn't have a problem with it...

I updated to latest firmware and actually feel the subwoofer weaker, i tested atmos leaf demo in 1.008 then updated to the newer firmware and its definitely weaker in the same volume with same settings. That said still works and the neighbours are happier, glad the rears are stronger and better. But its a downgrade on the woofer department for sure.

Background info leading up to my question:

In my system the Apple TV feeds the soundbar and then the TV. The soundbar sometimes freaks out when changing between SDR and Dolby Vision or a change in frame rate because the TV is negotiating the new handshake. The result is the soundbar stops passing video or audio or the screen flashes static. A restart of the soundbar clears this.

I have now installed an active HDMI splitter so the TV and the soundbar each get their own feed. This isolates the soundbar from the TV handshake process. This has been very stable.

Question:
Do I need to install an HDMI dummy plug in the output HDMI connector of the soundbar to emulate a 4k TV or is it ok to run open ended?

Anyone had subwoofer issues with theirs? I'm suddenly getting a lot of rumbly crashy noises during bassy moments before losing connection completely and then coming back on sounding fine. Its really intermittent as well.

FW fully up to date on all individual speakers.

Anyone had subwoofer issues with theirs? I'm suddenly getting a lot of rumbly crashy noises during bassy moments before losing connection completely and then coming back on sounding fine. Its really intermittent as well.

FW fully up to date on all individual speakers.
That is coming from wifi interference in the 5.8GHz range. Channels 149 and higher will cause noise and connection drops to your sub and surround speakers because they use the same channels. Samsung knows about this but have told me they can't fix it because its hardware, not firmware based.

That is coming from wifi interference in the 5.8GHz range. Channels 149 and higher will cause noise and connection drops to your sub and surround speakers because they use the same channels. Samsung knows about this but have told me they can't fix it because its hardware, not firmware based.
ah thank you.... i'll see if i can change the channel on my BT router away from that number.

Anyone with the soundbar hooked up to a recent Sony tv? If so, are there any handshake issues with eARC?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom