Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Hi guys waiting on delivery of my 77 inch c9 which I will wall mount and have selected this to be the soundbar - any advice on how to wire this for minimum fuss and cable run covering - I don't want to have to plug and unplug cables that are wired through a wall after all!

I have seen a lot of people worrying about eARC issues and limited HDMI - should I continue to run cables into TV with EARC to the bar?

I only have two hdmi connections into the tv (Switch and xbox one x) as I can't get sky or virgin in my property (City of London).

For owners what colour is the supplied rear speaker power cables (I presume black) what's the length are there any generic white 2 pin plug cables that will work with them?

Like this:

Flexson 5m Power Cable Right Angled for Sonos One and: Amazon.co.uk: Amazon.co.uk:

Final question is there any recommended wall mounting bracket for the rears you guys have found for the rear speakers (I take it ear height is best height?)

The cables are really really short.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Is anyone experiencing cracking noise from their sub?
I think this is the best sounding soundbar compared to the nakamichi and sony flagship models. However, since today morning - subwoofer is not performing well. Not sure what the interference is - something to do with wifi? Anyone having this issue?

No strange sound with mine.

No strange sound with mine.
Good for you. It is intermittent for me as well.

Another issue that is troubling is if i use Roku Ultra box to watch netflix or Amazon prime and then i use fast forward - it just loses the audio. In order to get the audio back, i need to power cycle either Roku or my Samsung soundbar. I cant seem to figure out what is wrong in this setup.

Frustrated with it, i bought the Apple TV 4k only to find out that it doesnt support Youtube on 4k. Are these issues affecting anyone here?

Hoping someone can help me !
just bought this sound bar and hooked up to a ATV and a Panasonic GZ1000 , can’t seem to get Atmos on Netflix or Amazon , I have a couple of films on iTunes ( Dunkirk ) and still no Atmos , I get the Dolby vision logo up .
Im running latest software ( 1008 ) and set mode to adaptive, no sign of Atmos in the ATV sound menu either .
must be doing something wrong lol

Hoping someone can help me !
just bought this sound bar and hooked up to a ATV and a Panasonic GZ1000 , can’t seem to get Atmos on Netflix or Amazon , I have a couple of films on iTunes ( Dunkirk ) and still no Atmos , I get the Dolby vision logo up .
Im running latest software ( 1008 ) and set mode to adaptive, no sign of Atmos in the ATV sound menu either .
must be doing something wrong lol
Are you running netflix on apple tv 4k? i think only apple tv 4k and xbox currently support atmos for netflix.

Are you running netflix on apple tv 4k? i think only apple tv 4k and xbox currently support atmos for netflix.
I’m thinking it’s my 7 year old HDMI cables , I’ll swap them out today for the faster ones .

Does anyone know how to connect the soundbar to a turntable? I have a TEAC TN-280BT but I can't connect them through Bluetooth. According to Samsung, it is a possibility that both use a different protocol.

Also, I tried to connect the Optical output with the Analog from the turntable, through a Audio Converter but also without success.

Samsung has confirmed that its 2019 soundbars support eARC. So if you can't get it to work, let me know here with specific examples (TV, setup etc.) and I'll pass them on to Samsung for comment.
Hi Steve

Would you recommend the HWQ90R, HWQ80R or the Sennheiser Ambeo? I have heard the rear speakers of the HWQ90R which seem to be very quiet most of the time and therefore not sure if it is worth the extra £500 over the HWQ80R.

Hi Steve

Would you recommend the HWQ90R, HWQ80R or the Sennheiser Ambeo? I have heard the rear speakers of the HWQ90R which seem to be very quiet most of the time and therefore not sure if it is worth the extra £500 over the HWQ80R.
It depends on your needs and your budget. If you really want a single-box solution and you have the budget and room, you can't go wrong with the Sennheiser. If you want a proper 7.1.4 system I'd go for the HW-Q90R. However if you want to save yourself £500, the HW-Q80R will deliver a fantastic front soundstage and you can always add rear speakers at a later date.

Just picked this up for £458.00 after the cashback from buying with the Q90 TV looking forward to trying it out soon!

Hope so.

If anyone has a Unidays login you can get the 75Q90R for £2625 plus the Q90 Soundbar for around £900 but also take advantage of the 50% cashback offer on the soundbar when bought with a QLED tv, works with other sizes model TVs and soundbars also 👍

Hi Steve

The people who say the rears almost has no sound need to check their settings. Also not every movie is the same.. I didn't really had great sound with John wick 3. It was much better done in part 2 for example.

Just picked this up for £458.00 after the cashback from buying with the Q90 TV looking forward to trying it out soon!
incredible deal you got there. I unfortunately returned mine. The unreliable wireless connection might have been just a bad product. I am back to my AVR and 5.1 setup for now.
I still believe it is one of the best sounding soundbar out there and scoring it for this price is a steal! Enjoy!

Hey guys,

Would bluetooth headphones connect to this bar...
Just thinking of late night viewing...would be nice if I could connect headphones to it.
Has anyone tried?

Thx

So how do I get Dolby vision through the sound bar ? ATV straight to TV and I get the DV logo but not through the sound bar , or is it just the logo I’m missing?

Was using via hdmi for sound now updated it will only let me use wifi? Anyone know how to change? Thanks

Anyone get Dolby Vision pass through with this bar ?

I need to speak to Samsung so I'll chase them up about eARC. All of Samsung's 2019 soundbars pass Dolby Vision and HDR10+.

I can’t get Dolby Vision pass through from a Apple TV ?!

So by the looks of it.....If I set my sound controls for tremble, bass, center level, side level..etc to a certain value...It applies them to all the sources?...That sucks.
For e.g - BT (bluetooth) when listening to music, I want a different sound profile than when listening/watching movies on source "hdmi 1"....But for whatever odd reason it applies it to all sources.
Not cool in my books 👎

So by the looks of it.....If I set my sound controls for tremble, bass, center level, side level..etc to a certain value...It applies them to all the sources?...That sucks.
For e.g - BT (bluetooth) when listening to music, I want a different sound profile than when listening/watching movies on source "hdmi 1"....But for whatever odd reason it applies it to all sources.
Not cool in my books 👎
I think you have unrealistic expectations. Name one soundbar, or AVR for that matter, that lets you do that.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my Q90R , it looks like a serious piece of kit and sounds awesome, it sits nicely in front of my 65E8 LG OLED and doesn't obstruct the soundbar or screen.

I had some problems setting everything up, firstly Sky Q connected to the TV using ARC produced serious lip sync issues forcing a direct connection to the soundbar. I had similar problems with my E6 and that was nearly 3 years ago and its surprising Sky / LG still have not resolved the issue. I've used a 2 way switch from the Sky Q box so I can use the TV sound as well.

With only 1 HDMI port left for my Xbox One X & Nvidia Shield I went through a handful of switches and none worked except for this one :-

So if you want to add some extra HDMI ports this switch works perfectly for me with zero issues..:smashin:

Also I've had some minor handshake problems with Sky Q as others have mentioned in this thread, what I have found is with Sky Q on HDMI 1 anything being used on HDMI 2 needs to be turned off prior to switching back.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom