Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

Is there a "hearable" difference between lossy and lossles ATMOS? My Philips OLED754 does not have eARC as well, but from USB drive can send DV to the screen and Atmos (not lossles, I think) to the soundbar. I would need to buy a UHD player with two HDMI outputs.

There is no way you can not here the difference between lossless and lossy. It would be the same as comparing 4k TV with HD ready.

It doesn't matter if u don't have earc. If you directly connect your bluray with the bar you also have lossless. There is actually no other way, unless you have earc. Even then, you still won't get the 48gb with most tvs that got an update to earc. Most tvs with an update get around 42gb

There is no way you can not here the difference between lossless and lossy. It would be the same as comparing 4k TV with HD ready.

It doesn't matter if u don't have earc. If you directly connect your bluray with the bar you also have lossless. There is actually no other way, unless you have earc. Even then, you still won't get the 48gb with most tvs that got an update to earc. Most tvs with an update get around 42gb
Yes, it is clear - as mentioned, I am looking for some UHD BD player. Any recomendations, folks?

Hi all, please can someone sanity check my set-up before I lose my sanity!

I have Q90R TV and HW-Q90R soundbar, Sky Q 2TB box and a bluray player (UHD Bluray player has to wait for now).

The soundbar is HDMI ARC out to the One Connect box ARC. Sky Q and Bluray are into the One Connect box - should I have the Sky Q and bluray plugged into the soundbar instead?

I am having lip-sync issues which are a bit distracting and can't help but think my set up is wrong.

Yes, it is clear - as mentioned, I am looking for some UHD BD player. Any recomendations, folks?

I'm saving my pennies for a Panasonic UB820 as I think that gives me best value for money - but like you am happy to take recommendations.

Hi all, please can someone sanity check my set-up before I lose my sanity!

I have Q90R TV and HW-Q90R soundbar, Sky Q 2TB box and a bluray player (UHD Bluray player has to wait for now).

The soundbar is HDMI ARC out to the One Connect box ARC. Sky Q and Bluray are into the One Connect box - should I have the Sky Q and bluray plugged into the soundbar instead?

I am having lip-sync issues which are a bit distracting and can't help but think my set up is wrong.

Go directly to the bar. You'll get lossless audio from the Blu-ray player then.

Go directly to the bar. You'll get lossless audio from the Blu-ray player then.
Q box straight to soundbar as well or leave that in One Connect?

Thank You!

Hi all.
My Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 arrives next week and i need some help to the correct connection with my HW-Q80r & LGC9, should i connect the Shield to the soundbar or to the TV?
Tv & Sounbar (updated 1010.5) with Earc, the main purpose is reading the lossless Atmos and Dts-X sound from my downloaded 4k Remux movies.

Hi all.
My Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 arrives next week and i need some help to the correct connection with my HW-Q80r & LGC9, should i connect the Shield to the soundbar or to the TV?
Tv & Sounbar (updated 1010.5) with Earc, the main purpose is reading the lossless Atmos and Dts-X sound from my downloaded 4k Remux movies.

Hi, i have the C9 and the Nvidia Shield 2019. If you have enough HDMI Ports left, the best solution in my opinion after the EARC Update is to connect the Nvidia Shield directly with the TV. You dont have to change any HDMI Ports on the Soundbar or anything. You will get the best picture quality and best sound. For the Nvidia Shield, there will be not much difference, but for your future setup (XBOX Series X oder PS5) you will benefit from HDMI 2.1 (VRR, ....) features you probably will miss if you would connect the devices to the soundbar. With EARC you will always get the best sound so this will be the easiest and most future proof connection. Just make Sure you have two good HDMI calbles.

Hi, i have the C9 and the Nvidia Shield 2019. If you have enough HDMI Ports left, the best solution in my opinion after the EARC Update is to connect the Nvidia Shield directly with the TV. You dont have to change any HDMI Ports on the Soundbar or anything. You will get the best picture quality and best sound. For the Nvidia Shield, there will be not much difference, but for your future setup (XBOX Series X oder PS5) you will benefit from HDMI 2.1 (VRR, ....) features you probably will miss if you would connect the devices to the soundbar. With EARC you will always get the best sound so this will be the easiest and most future proof connection. Just make Sure you have two good HDMI calbles.

Thanks alot for your help :smashin:.
By the way do you have any hdd drive connected to your Nvidia? I'm also waiting for a WD my passport Ultra 5Tb to store my 4k movies. Is it also possible to read the movies save in the disk using the Plex server on the Shield?

Thanks alot for your help :smashin:.
By the way do you have any hdd drive connected to your Nvidia? I'm also waiting for a WD my passport Ultra 5Tb to store my 4k movies. Is it also possible to read the movies save in the disk using the Plex server on the Shield?

I dont have the Pro Model so I did not test it. But i am sure this should be an issue. I tested some 4K Movies and it worked fine. The movies were streamed by an synology NAS and i used Kodi as the movie player. With the Nvidia Shield you can mount NAS HDD really easy.

I also tested many Sounddemos from Demolandia. DTS X, Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD 7.1. DTS HD etc all worked perfect with the Nvidia Shield.

I dont have the Pro Model so I did not test it. But i am sure this should be an issue. I tested some 4K Movies and it worked fine. The movies were streamed by an synology NAS and i used Kodi as the movie player. With the Nvidia Shield you can mount NAS HDD really easy.

I also tested many Sounddemos from Demolandia. DTS X, Dolby Atmos, Dolby True HD 7.1. DTS HD etc all worked perfect with the Nvidia Shield.

I´ve never used NAS system, if i connect the WD 5Tb HDD to my router (Usb) i will have all the movies on Shield with wi-fi & Ethernet? An do i need any previous configurations on the hdd before connecting?

Anyone know how I can get ARC working with my Q90R and LG B7? Getting no sound from the B7s internal apps. I've tried 4 HDMI cables and a firmware update, it worked straight away after the firmware update but then stopped again.

[
Anyone know how I can get ARC working with my Q90R and LG B7? Getting no sound from the B7s internal apps. I've tried 4 HDMI cables and a firmware update, it worked straight away after the firmware update but then stopped again.

Try this
1. Take all cables out of power sockets (TV and bar)
2. Take our all hdmi cables
3. Hold power button TV remote for 30 secs
4. Leave it like this for 15 min
5. Put first power cables back in and switch TV on and bar on. Switch bar to d.in
6. Finally connect hdmi cables.

This worked for me when I had it once.. Repair man was a moron and could not fix it. I found this on Samsung community.

[

Try this
1. Take all cables out of power sockets (TV and bar)
2. Take our all hdmi cables
3. Hold power button TV remote for 30 secs
4. Leave it like this for 15 min
5. Put first power cables back in and switch TV on and bar on. Switch bar to d.in
6. Finally connect hdmi cables.

This worked for me when I had it once.. Repair man was a moron and could not fix it. I found this on Samsung community.

Thanks for that, it recognised ARC initially but lost it again next time I came to use the soundbar. Looks like I'll have to return the Q90R since it clearly won't play nice with my B7.

Thanks for that, it recognised ARC initially but lost it again next time I came to use the soundbar. Looks like I'll have to return the Q90R since it clearly won't play nice with my B7.
On my OLED754 Sometimes Dolby Atmos is muted when playing demos from USB (or internal TV memory) - changing the sound output from HDMI to TV speakers and then back to HDMI usualy helps.

On my OLED754 Sometimes Dolby Atmos is muted when playing demos from USB (or internal TV memory) - changing the sound output from HDMI to TV speakers and then back to HDMI usualy helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried that a few times and doesn't fix it I'm afraid.

If one is playing a 5.1 movie soundtrack on this soundbar with standard mode enabled will the surround channels be emitted from the rear speakers or the side firing speakers on the soundbar?

Last edited:
If one is playing a 5.1 movie soundtrack on this soundbar with standard mode enabled will the surround channels be omitted from the rear speakers or the side firing speakers on the soundbar?

5.1 Dolby tracks will play surround channels through the rear speakers, I haven't tested it yet but according to the manual 5.1 DTS tracks are upmixed to 7.1 even on standard mode.

Straight to the bar should eliminate any lip sync issues.
So, I spent a few hours on this yesterday and kept myself from being baked alive in that outrageously warm weather :D
Moved both Q box and Bluray HDMI's direct to soundbar, leaving the bar as the only connection to the Q90R TV One Connect (ARC - ARC). Spent most of my time trying to resolve issues with handshake between the TV and either the Q-box or the bluray - switch source from Q-box to bluray or vice-versa and it wouldn't recognise the selected source as connected or switched on and I was only able to get them running by taking out and reinserting the HDMI's. The one thing that was fixed by having these devices directly into the soundbar was the lip-sync issues.

Moved bluray back to One Connect, leaving the Q-box in the soundbar - still had problem with the TV not correctly identifying the Q-box source being switched on (note: I did have Anynet-CEC selected), still had no lip-sync issues.

Moved Q-box back to One Connect and now have no problems with source being identified but the lip-sync is horrendous. A positive adjustment of audio delay makes the problem worse and there is no way of adjusting the delay to a negative. Also looked at adjusting the audio through the Q-box rather than the TV and that didn't improve it either.

Will eARC fix all this, will HDMI 2.1 standard cables do the trick - or should I get on the phone to Samsung and tell them to fix it or have the kit back?

Shame, because the TV is exceptional and so is the sound through the bar.

What tv is it?

It's a Samsung QE55Q90R

Hi,
Since yesterday I also have the soundbar.
Now I have the following problem:

When I watch content on TV or while streaming Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital sound: the effects of the Rears are clearly audible. But as soon as I watch a Dolby Atmos film / or Dolby Digital via a UHD player (yes, the films have a Dolby Atmos soundtrack and I also selected this for the films), the rears are really very, very quiet. So I made a direct comparison "Same film" about streaming and 4K disk. With the 4k DIsk the sound is really very quiet from behind. At first thought, the rears in the back are off but now and then something quiet comes through.

Do you know the problem?
What can you do there? (Sorry for my bad English)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom