Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar Review & Comments

I've had my HW-Q90R for a couple of weeks now and am absolutely loving it. No issues so far though I use my Nvidia Shield and not my TV apps for streaming (I hate the ads on my Q90R TV).

For those having issues related to e-arc...
Why not just connect your source directly to the soundbar or get a Roku or Nvidia Shield?
I know that the sound bar has only 2 HDMI inputs but that can be remedied by using an HDMI switch.
The exception of course is with gaming where you need high refresh rates.

A couple of things that I've discovered:
1. To easily update the firmware without fiddling with a USB stick, you can use the Samsung SmartThings app. You can also set it to automatically update the firmware when a new one is available.
2. This is a big one... In the SmartThings app, there is a 7 band equalizer. The default sound is set to flat but I've changed it to a V shape while keeping mid-range unchanged,
After doing this, the sound from the hwq90r came alive! Especially with music (I have a Chromecast Audio connected via an optical cable) You can switch back and forth using the app so you can easily tell the difference. Try it!
Hi do you still have your equaliser set like this, could you take a picture, will give it a try on mine see what difference it makes? thanks

Had an online chat with Samsung this afternoon. They took me through a TV reset (which is one of the steps I tried at the weekend with no joy) and now it seems that I have no lip-sync issues with any devices.
More checking to do but it seems like a reset does the trick - you might have to repeat the reset more than once but it does get there.

Hi,
Since yesterday I also have the soundbar.
Now I have the following problem:

When I watch content on TV or while streaming Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital sound: the effects of the Rears are clearly audible. But as soon as I watch a Dolby Atmos film / or Dolby Digital via a UHD player (yes, the films have a Dolby Atmos soundtrack and I also selected this for the films), the rears are really very, very quiet. So I made a direct comparison "Same film" about streaming and 4K disk. With the 4k DIsk the sound is really very quiet from behind. At first thought, the rears in the back are off but now and then something quiet comes through.

Do you know the problem?
What can you do there? (Sorry for my bad English)

Did you directly connect your player with your Soundbar?

Also keep in mind not all movies have a great sound track.

It is impossible to have a better result when streaming in stead of the actual disk.

Did you directly connect your player with your Soundbar?

Also keep in mind not all movies have a great sound track.

It is impossible to have a better result when streaming in stead of the actual disk.

Yes, I connected the UHD Player (Panasonic 824) directly to the soundbar. The Sky Receiver too. from the Soundbar then via eARC to the TV Sony AF9. I heard about UHD Ready Player One with Dolby Atmos. The rears were really quiet. I had to get very close to really hear them. I missed this "in the middle" effect. Then looked over Sky Aquaman. It was really a great effect. From behind, from left, from right. That was good. Therefore I am surprised that the sound was better or louder with sky streaming than with UHD, where the sound from the back is very quiet.

Another topic: Do you always have to change the sound on normal TV? I had a Bose 300 Soundtouch before and once it was set it was perfect for all stations. With the Samsumg I constantly have to change louder / quieter / standard / adaptive. I mean that in relation to normal TV. Reports, sports, talk show. Maybe I don't have the optimal settings yet?

Yes, I connected the UHD Player (Panasonic 824) directly to the soundbar. The Sky Receiver too. from the Soundbar then via eARC to the TV Sony AF9. I heard about UHD Ready Player One with Dolby Atmos. The rears were really quiet. I had to get very close to really hear them. I missed this "in the middle" effect. Then looked over Sky Aquaman. It was really a great effect. From behind, from left, from right. That was good. Therefore I am surprised that the sound was better or louder with sky streaming than with UHD, where the sound from the back is very quiet.

Another topic: Do you always have to change the sound on normal TV? I had a Bose 300 Soundtouch before and once it was set it was perfect for all stations. With the Samsumg I constantly have to change louder / quieter / standard / adaptive. I mean that in relation to normal TV. Reports, sports, talk show. Maybe I don't have the optimal settings yet?

What are your settings in your Soundbar?
I always keep it in surround. Mine are so hard when watch lossless I can't keep it louder than 12. My mrs and my cat both go bonkers.

I have everything at 0 and the rears at +6. The subwoofer is at +2 or 3 If I want to understand dialogues to some extent and don't want to be too loud, then I have Standard or Adaptive.

maybe the settings are not optimal? on the UHD player I have everything on bitstream. hope thats ok?!

Watched the race scene on the Ready Player One 4K disc earlier and my rear speakers were very loud so no problems here. With RPO be sure to switch to the Atmos track in the setup menu as like a lot of WB titles it defaults to DTS HD MA 5.1 for some strange reason.

I have everything at 0 and the rears at +6. The subwoofer is at +2 or 3 If I want to understand dialogues to some extent and don't want to be too loud, then I have Standard or Adaptive.

maybe the settings are not optimal? on the UHD player I have everything on bitstream. hope thats ok?!

I have like this.
Treble 3
Bass 2
Center, front + side 4
Rear 5
Rear up 5

For me this is perfect.. Blu-ray movies like John wick are insane... Really loud.

Watched the race scene on the Ready Player One 4K disc earlier and my rear speakers were very loud so no problems here. With RPO be sure to switch to the Atmos track in the setup menu as like a lot of WB titles it defaults to DTS HD MA 5.1 for some strange reason.

The race scene is fudgein insane.. The sound comes from everywhere

Thank you very much.
yes I set the Atmos tone because standard DTS. I'll look again tomorrow and adjust the settings. I have already installed the new update. Could it still be due to the HDMI cable? but then probably no signal would arrive ...

Well I've had both the Sammy and the lg sn11. Tested the swizzle out of it. And the lg is all boxed up.

Well I've had both the Sammy and the lg sn11. Tested the swizzle out of it. And the lg is all boxed up.

Love to know your thoughts on the Sn11 compared to the Q90r? What’s the reason for sending back the LG?

Hello everyone,

I have had this beast of a soundbar for 1 month now and so far I love it, however, I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me out with.

I have fully updated the soundbar to version HW-Q90RWWB-1010.5

I have connected my PS4 and Nvidia shield directly to the soundbar and the soundbar goes to my Philips TV, 65OLED903.

1)
What settings are you guys using with your modes? I feel like, I can hear more details when using standard settings, however, when to use surround and adaptive?

For movies, netflix, plex I normally use adaptive, but is surround a better option?

and more important, what are your settings? I got everything on +3 except for center and subwoofer which is on +6.

2)
Perhaps a dumb question now but.. what is the difference on bass level and subwoofer level? When watching movies, volume on 15, sometimes when huge explosion happens, the bass (??) or is it subwoofer makes it hmm.. how to describe it.. like a big "dooooooooooooooh" soundwave.. sounds terrible really.. Is this because I have set my subwoofer on +6 ? Again, stupid question I know...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I have had this beast of a soundbar for 1 month now and so far I love it, however, I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me out with.

I have connected my PS4 and Nvidia shield directly to the soundbar and the soundbar goes to my Philips TV, 65OLED903.

1)
I have noticed sync issues when playing games on my PlayStation. It's quite bad and I have no idea on how to fix this?? I use a HDMI cable from soundbar directly to TV ARC port. My TV doesn't support eARC.. sadly :( It might even be in movies as well, however, its a bit hard to tell I feel.. but when playing games on PlayStation you notice it immediately.. lip sync issue all over and etc, in God of War, when you throw the axe there is a sound delay when thrown.. REALLY annoying :(

2)
What settings are you guys using with your modes? I feel like, I can hear more details when using standard settings, however, when to use surround and adaptive?

For movies, netflix, plex I normally use adaptive, but is surround a better option?

and more important, what are your settings? I got everything on +3 except for center and subwoofer which is on +6.

3)
Perhaps a dumb question now but.. what is the difference on bass level and subwoofer level? When watching movies, volume on 15, sometimes when huge explosion happens, the bass (??) or is it subwoofer makes it hmm.. how to describe it.. like a big "dooooooooooooooh" soundwave.. sounds terrible really.. Is this because I have set my subwoofer on +6 ? Again, stupid question I know...

Thanks in advance.
This soundbar the bass is for the woofers inside the bar two next to tweeted subwoofer is the main whack you can hear also no idea how you have it on +6 I have mine on 20 volume and on -5 subwoofer The room shakes I also find this subwoofer very muddy to have to high and can bottom out very easy with to bassy above 20 vol dolby Atmos amaze test on the bass section the subwoofer rattles it can’t handle it I found this sub to be a bit shit in terms of what it can handle but can shake a room

Seems ive spoken too soon.. rear left surround won't connect now..

Just updating the rear firmware..any idea what it should be ?

Not having any of it. I've unplugged the unit hopefully plug it all in again tomorrow and see how it goes. Or its on the phone to currys again.

1)
I have noticed sync issues when playing games on my PlayStation. It's quite bad and I have no idea on how to fix this?? I use a HDMI cable from soundbar directly to TV ARC port. My TV doesn't support eARC.. sadly :( It might even be in movies as well, however, its a bit hard to tell I feel.. but when playing games on PlayStation you notice it immediately.. lip sync issue all over and etc, in God of War, when you throw the axe there is a sound delay when thrown.. REALLY annoying
I have PS4 Pro connected to the 65OLED754 TV and from TV ARC to the soundbar and have not noticed the lip sync issues. I can try to connect PS4 to the soundbar directly.
Or you can use optical connection for the sound (you will have both DTS and DD sound).

Awesome

Hello everyone,

1)
I have noticed sync issues when playing games on my PlayStation. It's quite bad and I have no idea on how to fix this?? I use a HDMI cable from soundbar directly to TV ARC port. My TV doesn't support eARC.. sadly :( It might even be in movies as well, however, its a bit hard to tell I feel.. but when playing games on PlayStation you notice it immediately.. lip sync issue all over and etc, in God of War, when you throw the axe there is a sound delay when thrown.. REALLY annoying :(

2)

3)

Thanks in advance.

Change the settings in your TV and in the Soundbar. In the soundbar it's the option after treble. Put that on 0. Then check your TV and put that also on 0.. I have zero delay on my ps4 pro.

I always have surround on when I play games and watch TV.

My settings
Bass 2
Treble 3
Front, side, up 4
Rear and rear up 5

version HW-Q90RWWB-1010.5
Hi guys, how to check my firmware version of the soundbar, sub and rears? I am not able to connect Samsung`s Stupid Things app.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom