Samsung HW-Q950T and HW-Q900T Soundbar - Review & Comments

I can settle the LPCM for everyone. I own both the HWQ90R and HW950T. Rtings confirmed my results when they did their review.

When connecting to HDMI1 in on each soundbar, Windows 10 under Sound shows:

Q90R: 8 channel PCM
Q950T: 2 channel PCM

The only time 5.1 channel PCM works on the 950T, is when connecting a device to the TV and using the eARC port on the 950T. When you test make sure you are testing PCM and not dolby digital+ etc.

Did anyone notice in the manual under specifications it says:
Q90R - 8 ch PCM, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD etc.
Q950T - Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD etc.
There is no mention of 8 ch PCM in the manual for the Q950T.

Currys now listing this at £1499. Out of stock though and only went on today.

This will be a huge deal breaker for me ATV box is now my primary movie source as I just jumped into the digital bandwagon from discs and already own nearly 180 films in iTunes (US/CA/UK). 60-70% of them are Atmos but the rest are DD+ 640 Kbps output as PCM 5.1.

Why can't these companies get basic issues sorted right out of the box instead of consumers being used as guinea pigs to test and report back issues?

I have not been able to confirm clearly if I get 5.1 audio correctly on ATV or I m getting only 2-channel PCM.

I was watching Flash on Netflix yesterday and the sound effects seemed way better on my Shield than ATV 4K - unless it is my subjective hearing, something seems off here.

I can settle the LPCM for everyone. I own both the HWQ90R and HW950T. Rtings confirmed my results when they did their review.

When connecting to HDMI1 in on each soundbar, Windows 10 under Sound shows:

Q90R: 8 channel PCM
Q950T: 2 channel PCM

The only time 5.1 channel PCM works on the 950T, is when connecting a device to the TV and using the eARC port on the 950T. When you test make sure you are testing PCM and not dolby digital+ etc.

Did anyone notice in the manual under specifications it says:
Q90R - 8 ch PCM, Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD etc.
Q950T - Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD etc.
There is no mention of 8 ch PCM in the manual for the Q950T.

Do you happen to have an Apple TV? As ATV outputs LPCM for non-Atmos content, I assume all I get is 2 channel PCM?

Ok, that is good to know!!

I was just checking again and now I get only stereo with PCM. I’d swear it worked fine before but now it’s not. Either it’s erratic or I had dts or Dolby and didn’t realise.

LG fixed PCM issues on the LN11RG with a firmwa update, I hope Samsung can fix this too.

But if you use earc with pcm then you get full pcm? have I read that right?

hey i am new here as this is the only forum where i can find some information about the q950t i have a question? I just bought the q950t, for 989 euros😁 and I had a lot of trouble installing the q950t. I just got no audio. in the end I succeeded but now when I switch from TV channel to my playstation the sound from my q950t goes out. The only way to get sound from my q950t again is to restart my tv and q950t i have a samsung 55 inch ks9000 tv. is there a
solution for this or do I have a defective product?

Samsung now offering 25% cash back. I’m going to bite soon. Must be bought before 3rd November.

Update on the ARC issue. Looks like it is TV/sky related. As I need to leave Viera on
So either ask Samsung if they will still honour it or call Best Buy and ask what they can do.

I bought mine on the 26th August. Any idea if Samsung have honoured early purchasers before?

hey i am new here as this is the only forum where i can find some information about the q950t i have a question? I just bought the q950t, for 989 euros😁 and I had a lot of trouble installing the q950t. I just got no audio. in the end I succeeded but now when I switch from TV channel to my playstation the sound from my q950t goes out. The only way to get sound from my q950t again is to restart my tv and q950t i have a samsung 55 inch ks9000 tv. is there a
How do you have your TV and Playstation connected to the Q950T? Do you hace the proper settings for audio on the TV and Playstation?

I had issues with having sound somtimes and not other times. I think my issue was to do with ARC and having 4 devices connect to the TV. I think in my case the issue was with a sky setting but I think I did look at the setting for the TV, freeview box and blu ray player in terms of HDMI switching and turned all of these off apart from one that was essential on the TV that allowed ARC to work.

Yes, I own many Apple TV 4K units. What would you like me to test?
If you are getting 5.1 surround sound from apps like Netflix for non-Atmos content.

If you use "Best quality" audio option, ATV outputs LPCM 5.1 - so I am not sure if that is being downscaled to 2 channel PCM by Q950T.

Do you happen to have an Apple TV? As ATV outputs LPCM for non-Atmos content, I assume all I get is 2 channel PCM?

I have Apple TV 4k units connected to both the Q90R and Q950T. I launched Netflix on each, and loaded up the 'Test' content. AV sync was perfect, and all channels came out of the correct speakers for both sound bars. I suspect it's passing Dolby Digital 5.1 and not PCM. Does anyone have reference to AppleTV only supporting LPCM for non-Atmos content?

The same test fails miserably when using my HW-T50M & 8500S soundbar and surrounds. Apparently the HW-T50M only supports Dolby 2.0, and PCM 2.0

Are you using ARC? I have my HW-Q90T connected to a UN65KS9800, and HW-950T connected to a UN78KS9800. Switching inputs is buggy. I found which sequence works for me, you will have to fiddle with it. Try changing from a different HDMI input on the TV, then back to the HW-Q950T input. I find this clears things up.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom