Samsung KS9000\8000 Owners Thread Part 2

Ahh i see mate, my bad, My set also states the mode when i select ok on the remote (providing the remote isn't paired to the device) i guess it will only show HDR on the KS sets if you do this? As you say it will be showing everything correctly, would be nice if it would say so, if only to show people who don't believe that it is capable. The differences you will have noticed will be correct, compromises have been made with HLG to enable the SDR and HDR stream to be included in the same single transmission and maintain backwards compatibility with SDR only sets

cheers

Ahh i see mate, my bad, My set also states the mode when i select ok on the remote (providing the remote isn't paired to the device) i guess it will only show HDR on the KS sets if you do this? As you say it will be showing everything correctly, would be nice if it would say so, if only to show people who don't believe that it is capable. The differences you will have noticed will be correct, compromises have been made with HLG to enable the SDR and HDR stream to be included in the same single transmission and maintain backwards compatibility with SDR only sets

cheers

On the KS, we only get 'generalised' HDR information. When you look at the information at the top for the 'source' - we get the resolution and just 'HDR'. The Picture settings also have no mention of HLG. Its either HDR or not where HDR could be either HLG or HDR10 - its just 'HDR' according to the TV. It would have been good to get a new icon to state HLG instead of HDR but it seems that the KS is treating both as just 'HDR'.

Like I said, I have no issue with that as long as it works. I don't care whether its HLG HDR or HDR10 HDR as long as the TV recognises that its HDR and displays it properly. It should be obvious to everyone, unless they have messed around with their HDR picture settings, that content is in HDR. A quick check on the info bar to see if its registering as HDR should be sufficient too. Whether HLG or HDR10, its still HDR.

I am not surprised that HLG doesn't use a wider colour gamut - after all its expected to be backwards compatible so the Broadcasters don't need multiple channels for 4k (a 4k SDR and 4k HDR channel - we already have 2 channels for most content - SD and HD). Its the colours though that told me the content was much more likely to be HLG than HDR10 - even if I cannot find anything on the TV itself to state exactly what format of HDR it was. That's why I was able to say with a very high degree of certainty that this was HLG and working as I expect but could not 'verify' it was HLG specifically because the TV doesn't state HLG. If I took a snapshot for example and uploaded it, people would say its stating HDR and would then argue that I wasn't using the HLG version. There is no way I can verify it - other than to state I used the HLG version and noticed the more muted colours - but that would still not be enough 'proof' for some...

Quick question, how do you get the logo to pop up for HDR or can you check what's been input in to the TV and what the TV is actually displaying

Like of you play a HDR clip on YouTube app

Or if I am playing HDR content of netflix other the going in to the settings and looking see if it's changed

On the KS, we only get 'generalised' HDR information. When you look at the information at the top for the 'source' - we get the resolution and just 'HDR'. The Picture settings also have no mention of HLG. Its either HDR or not where HDR could be either HLG or HDR10 - its just 'HDR' according to the TV. It would have been good to get a new icon to state HLG instead of HDR but it seems that the KS is treating both as just 'HDR'.

Like I said, I have no issue with that as long as it works. I don't care whether its HLG HDR or HDR10 HDR as long as the TV recognises that its HDR and displays it properly. It should be obvious to everyone, unless they have messed around with their HDR picture settings, that content is in HDR. A quick check on the info bar to see if its registering as HDR should be sufficient too. Whether HLG or HDR10, its still HDR.

I am not surprised that HLG doesn't use a wider colour gamut - after all its expected to be backwards compatible so the Broadcasters don't need multiple channels for 4k (a 4k SDR and 4k HDR channel - we already have 2 channels for most content - SD and HD). Its the colours though that told me the content was much more likely to be HLG than HDR10 - even if I cannot find anything on the TV itself to state exactly what format of HDR it was. That's why I was able to say with a very high degree of certainty that this was HLG and working as I expect but could not 'verify' it was HLG specifically because the TV doesn't state HLG. If I took a snapshot for example and uploaded it, people would say its stating HDR and would then argue that I wasn't using the HLG version. There is no way I can verify it - other than to state I used the HLG version and noticed the more muted colours - but that would still not be enough 'proof' for some...

I can confirm that this is HDR HLG

Same clip played back on USB, this goes on to prove that Samsung have made conscious decision to kill off support for 2016 sets, they expect people to buy 2017/18 sets! BBC employee who tweeted about the requirements said 3 things are needed
1. HDR
2. HEVC
3. DVB-DASH (basically MPEG playback over IP, example is any device that can play Netflix streams)

Here's HLG info popping on my C7 when playing same clip via USB, I can also confirm that the dynamic range of colours is much more than the youtube link which uses vp9, the video clip is using bt.2020 wcg

Last edited:
Quick question, how do you get the logo to pop up for HDR or can you check what's been input in to the TV and what the TV is actually displaying

Like of you play a HDR clip on YouTube app

Or if I am playing HDR content of netflix other the going in to the settings and looking see if it's changed

You can press the centre button of the Smart remote but I find that doesn't always work - certainly not with Sky and the way the remote works with the Sky box but if that doesn't work, call up the home menu, go to the source, and click on that. Wait a few seconds and the info bar at the top will flash up for a second or two - you can see what resolution and whether its HDR or not that way.

The way the remote works with multiple devices frustrates me. I know for some it maybe useful to have fewer remotes but for me, it also affects the usability and functionality of the remotes. If I press the centre button, I get the programme bar on Sky come up instead of the TV info bar. I preferred the old Sky+HD remote that had a dedicated TV button so I could select whether I wanted TV or Sky operation. I wish Samsung had done something similar with their remotes - a dedicated TV button to operate just TV not Sky or other devices.

I can confirm that this is HDR HLG

Same clip played back on USB, this goes on to prove that Samsung have made conscious decision to kill off support for 2016 sets, they expect people to buy 2017/18 sets! BBC employee who tweeted about the requirements said 3 things are needed
1. HDR
2. HEVC
3. DVB-DASH (basically MPEG playback over IP, example is any device that can play Netflix streams

In that case, the KS is capable of having the latest iPlayer app.
1. HDR - definitely is a HDR TV - never been any doubt about that!
2. HEVC - As that 'Jazz' demo proves, the TV supports HEVC
3. DVB-DASH - Netflix obviously proves the TV has DVB-DASH too.

The KS though doesn't distinguish the format of HDR. I know the C7 does for HDR, HLG and Dolby Vision but as far as the KS is concerned, ALL HDR (that it can play) is under the same general 'HDR' umbrella. As I said, I am OK with that. to me it doesn't matter if I am watching HLG or HDR10 - its still HDR and as long as the TV recognises each format and displays it properly as HDR, I don't think it makes a difference.

Its like I couldn't care less if my photo's are JPEG's, Tiffs, PNG etc as long as they work and can be displayed properly - it only matters if the format ruins the quality but as long as they work on my devices/displays properly, I don't need to know specifically its displaying a JPEG or Tiff.

In that case, the KS is capable of having the latest iPlayer app.
1. HDR - definitely is a HDR TV - never been any doubt about that!
2. HEVC - As that 'Jazz' demo proves, the TV supports HEVC
3. DVB-DASH - Netflix obviously proves the TV has DVB-DASH too.

The KS though doesn't distinguish the format of HDR. I know the C7 does for HDR, HLG and Dolby Vision but as far as the KS is concerned, ALL HDR (that it can play) is under the same general 'HDR' umbrella. As I said, I am OK with that. to me it doesn't matter if I am watching HLG or HDR10 - its still HDR and as long as the TV recognises each format and displays it properly as HDR, I don't think it makes a difference.

Its like I couldn't care less if my photo's are JPEG's, Tiffs, PNG etc as long as they work and can be displayed properly - it only matters if the format ruins the quality but as long as they work on my devices/displays properly, I don't need to know specifically its displaying a JPEG or Tiff.
From what I see colours definitely do pop on my c7 and wcg is employed, it maybe that ks8000 is struggling with the stream as hlg is different from hdr, BBC claim it to be "superior" to hdr10, in hlg metadata is seprates from the video stream, in order to make it backward compitable
It is entirely possible that current hlg implementation on 2016 sets is buggy thay may have failed BBC tests and Samsung do not wish to address this instead want people to buy latest sets

From what I see colours definitely do pop on my c7 and wcg is employed, it maybe that ks8000 is struggling with the stream as hlg is different from hdr, BBC claim it to be "superior" to hdr10, in hlg metadata is seprates from the video stream, in order to make it backward compitable
It is entirely possible that current hlg implementation on 2016 sets is buggy thay may have failed BBC tests and Samsung do not wish to address this instead want people to buy latest sets

I am not saying the colours don't pop but compared the rich and vibrant HDR10 version of that Jazz, the colours are less saturated and vibrant. It wasn't glaringly obvious throughout either but in select scenes - the one with the red and blue balls for example. It still looked 'brighter', more vibrant than SDR overall - maybe because the colours were brighter than 100-120nits that SDR tends to be. The point I was making is that compared to HDR10, there are certain colours that seem less saturated - more muted. It was as I said apparent to me on the reds and blues - which would be indicative of a narrower colour gamut. Wider Gamuts obviously have more saturation on the R, G and B but less obvious with combinations of these 3 colours.

Again that doesn't mean the colours don't pop, don't look spectacular and impressive but that it did look 'different' compared to my HDR10 version. I can see HLG looking absolutely stunning and certainly blows SDR away. I can see many people struggling to notice a difference between HLG and HDR10 content in general - at least until they can watch both HDR formats of the same content and, in particular certain scenes that can be either flipped between each format or viewed side by side.

As for which is 'better', I think that may come down to personal preference. The BBC are bound to claim its superior or at the very least on par with as they are the ones co-developing the format. To me its like the difference between Samsung and Panasonic idea of image quality. We know that Samsung tend to go a bit more 'vibrant' where as Panasonic go for the more 'cinematic'. The difference is similar - like gloss or satin sheen not quite gloss vs matte but enough of a difference for me to notice.

You can press the centre button of the Smart remote but I find that doesn't always work - certainly not with Sky and the way the remote works with the Sky box but if that doesn't work, call up the home menu, go to the source, and click on that. Wait a few seconds and the info bar at the top will flash up for a second or two - you can see what resolution and whether its HDR or not that way.

The way the remote works with multiple devices frustrates me. I know for some it maybe useful to have fewer remotes but for me, it also affects the usability and functionality of the remotes. If I press the centre button, I get the programme bar on Sky come up instead of the TV info bar. I preferred the old Sky+HD remote that had a dedicated TV button so I could select whether I wanted TV or Sky operation. I wish Samsung had done something similar with their remotes - a dedicated TV button to operate just TV not Sky or other devices.
I know what you mean with the remote

And thanks will give that a go

I am not saying the colours don't pop but compared the rich and vibrant HDR10 version of that Jazz, the colours are less saturated and vibrant. It wasn't glaringly obvious throughout either but in select scenes - the one with the red and blue balls for example. It still looked 'brighter', more vibrant than SDR overall - maybe because the colours were brighter than 100-120nits that SDR tends to be. The point I was making is that compared to HDR10, there are certain colours that seem less saturated - more muted. It was as I said apparent to me on the reds and blues - which would be indicative of a narrower colour gamut. Wider Gamuts obviously have more saturation on the R, G and B but less obvious with combinations of these 3 colours.

Again that doesn't mean the colours don't pop, don't look spectacular and impressive but that it did look 'different' compared to my HDR10 version. I can see HLG looking absolutely stunning and certainly blows SDR away. I can see many people struggling to notice a difference between HLG and HDR10 content in general - at least until they can watch both HDR formats of the same content and, in particular certain scenes that can be either flipped between each format or viewed side by side.

As for which is 'better', I think that may come down to personal preference. The BBC are bound to claim its superior or at the very least on par with as they are the ones co-developing the format. To me its like the difference between Samsung and Panasonic idea of image quality. We know that Samsung tend to go a bit more 'vibrant' where as Panasonic go for the more 'cinematic'. The difference is similar - like gloss or satin sheen not quite gloss vs matte but enough of a difference for me to notice.
Do you have link to hdr10 version of same clip, I'd like to compare that on LG

Would running these though the PC or the built in player on the TV give you a better picture?

It Just got me thinking as there are more variables on the PC.

Would running these though the PC or the built in player on the TV give you a better picture?

It Just got me thinking as there are more variables on the PC.
You need a GPU that can decode and monitor that can display the output from the GPU

If everything is compliant then picture shouldn't vary much

You need a GPU that can decode and monitor that can display the output from the GPU

If everything is compliant then picture shouldn't vary much

Yeah it’s already set up and MPC-BE plays the HDR clips.

I just thought with the Graphics card having picture settings and MPC having picture settings using the clips directly on the TV means I only have to worry about 1 lot of settings lol.

I’m gonna whack them on a USB later and see if I can tell the difference if there is any between the 2.

Yeah it’s already set up and MPC-BE plays the HDR clips.

I just thought with the Graphics card having picture settings and MPC having picture settings using the clips directly on the TV means I only have to worry about 1 lot of settings lol.

I’m gonna whack them on a USB later and see if I can tell the difference if there is any between the 2.
It all depends on the drivers and the application software, if colour management or chroma output is off then your display may not get correct information
So you need to make sure it is well calibrated against a reference point, usually professional grade application software is safe to use

I’ve got the Spears & Munsil Blu-ray but seeing as I’m calibrating HDR I guess it no use.

I’ve got the AVS-HD stuff as well and that’s the same.

Do you have link to hdr10 version of same clip, I'd like to compare that on LG

It seems @chopples has found one for you. When I first got my KS back in mid 2016, I downloaded the HDR version of Jazz as well as other LG demo's like Chess, Nasa, Colors of Journey and a 'tech demo' that showed SDR and then what HDR added. I used these initially to test and set up my HDR mode as I didn't have access to any other HDR content at the time. Jazz and Chess were particular favourites and have used these to show off the quality of my KS to others.

The fact that I have watched Jazz frequently was why I was able to pick up on the differences between the HDR10 and HLG versions but like I said, its not as if the HLG is 'poor' or that the colours don't pop - its just that I found they were not quite as saturated/rich in some areas - still more vibrant, more pop and much more impressive than SDR...

All I have attached a couple of Pics which I believe show HLG material being played Via YouTube , apologies for the poor camera work and my tv has a window directly behind which isn’t exactly perfect for taking accurate photos lol , if I have this wrong I can only hold my hands up

Attachments

• F049C338-7F38-483D-A918-3074804B12F5.jpeg
    F049C338-7F38-483D-A918-3074804B12F5.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 112
  • 9F2BA1C8-F3B5-4F28-8D08-663AF0DE646E.jpeg
    9F2BA1C8-F3B5-4F28-8D08-663AF0DE646E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 115
  • FF843351-A800-403F-BF09-5B47A9729251.jpeg
    FF843351-A800-403F-BF09-5B47A9729251.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 95
  • E269B37E-D01F-4FCC-B8D8-99E3BF8B2A71.jpeg
    E269B37E-D01F-4FCC-B8D8-99E3BF8B2A71.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 111
This is a good example of the difference between SDR and HDR/HLG In my opinion

Attachments

• 1E3AB39E-EF5B-4F58-A0AD-59EB2F53D22A.jpeg
    1E3AB39E-EF5B-4F58-A0AD-59EB2F53D22A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 101
It seems @chopples has found one for you. When I first got my KS back in mid 2016, I downloaded the HDR version of Jazz as well as other LG demo's like Chess, Nasa, Colors of Journey and a 'tech demo' that showed SDR and then what HDR added. I used these initially to test and set up my HDR mode as I didn't have access to any other HDR content at the time. Jazz and Chess were particular favourites and have used these to show off the quality of my KS to others.

The fact that I have watched Jazz frequently was why I was able to pick up on the differences between the HDR10 and HLG versions but like I said, its not as if the HLG is 'poor' or that the colours don't pop - its just that I found they were not quite as saturated/rich in some areas - still more vibrant, more pop and much more impressive than SDR...
Ok what @chopples has shared is slightly different, compared the two in sdr mode (played the youtube links on nokia 8 and sky q), and noticed that the saturation is couple of notches down in the hlg clip, so it is an issue of content authoring/ or hlg introducing faux hdr by raising specular highlights

It would be interesting to get identical material and compare - iPlayer still has planet earth 2, will try to locate hdr equivalent and compare

Ok what @chopples has shared is slightly different, compared the two in sdr mode (played the youtube links on nokia 8 and sky q), and noticed that the saturation is couple of notches down in the hlg clip, so it is an issue of content authoring/ or hlg introducing faux hdr by raising specular highlights

It would be interesting to get identical material and compare - iPlayer still has planet earth 2, will try to locate hdr equivalent and compare

Hi mate

I have just had a quick look, the scene isn't the best but after looking at the trial i new exactly where this one is on my bluray. These things are very difficult to photograph at the best of times, even more so when my phone camera can't actually capture what the eyes sees. That said there does seems to be a difference in approach. In this example I would say I prefer the HLG version

Attachments

• IMG_1536.JPG
    IMG_1536.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 122
Hi mate

I have just had a quick look, the scene isn't the best but after looking at the trial i new exactly where this one is on my bluray. These things are very difficult to photograph at the best of times, even more so when my phone camera can't actually capture what the eyes sees. That said there does seems to be a difference in approach. In this example I would say I prefer the HLG version
Even I think some of HDR presentations are over the top when it comes to colour saturation, in HLG clip the colour of animals seem to be more realistic!

Did someone mention something about a bar of light appearing across the bottom of the screen having something to do with indicating signal strength?

Really feel like I'm being mugged off by PRC Direct and Euronics regarding my faulty KS TV.

It's now just past the 6-mth window stated by consumer rights act 2015, and I suspect they have just been responding exceptionally slowly to drag the time out. I'm hoping the date that I reported the fault should at least count though. Furthermore, the replacement delivery date still technically gives me another 11 days in the 6-mth window.

As for the issues with the picture following the loudest of pops from the TV, from looking on the internet I found this YouTube video. This is exactly the issue I have. I have one just like in this video, and 2 more have appeared following more loud pops from the TV.

If you guys can check out the video I'd be interested to know if anyone else here has noticed this same issue with their KS TV?

Guys there are loads of HLG vids on YouTube , way more than I thought tbh , these pics better reflect the colour range without the annoying window glare behind me , still not overly convinced HLG is really that big of a thing though, what do you think ...?
These were all running videos so the pictures all have some blur I’m afraid, we’ll that and I take shite pictures.
I’m sure I read something along the lines of the Samsung 4K blu Ray players support HLG on the BBC I player

Attachments

• 696545D6-DC36-40AF-9471-190DCFB54004.jpeg
    696545D6-DC36-40AF-9471-190DCFB54004.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • 2352602C-9D52-41FD-9799-D112582B90CD.jpeg
    2352602C-9D52-41FD-9799-D112582B90CD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 99
  • 4D01B5F6-AD6B-42CC-9C89-CE241063E615.jpeg
    4D01B5F6-AD6B-42CC-9C89-CE241063E615.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
  • 2DF5C602-1FED-434B-BB6D-FE09D0974D44.jpeg
    2DF5C602-1FED-434B-BB6D-FE09D0974D44.jpeg