Samsung NU8000 Owners Thread

No player bashing from me, only trying to help out.
In fact, the option to output DVDs at their original resolution is an advanced feature I think.
And I have 5 Cambridge Audio small speakers that are quite good (small room with a small 5.1 system). I love the brand :)

Hello,

I have recently setup my 55Nu8000, I’m having issues where the video appears to be ahead of the audio, I am two Milliseconds but it’s noticeable and distracting, has anyone experienced this and been able to fix it? It happens across Netflix and IPTV , YouTube etc.

@IntelliVolume Not rubbed me up the wrong way at all. Just curious about the player not being able to automatically handle things and needing adjustment per source. Nothing to do with you, man and not a comment about you.

I have a Cambridge soundbase that I love and is really simple to use.

The player doesn't need to be adjusted PER SOURCE, nor does it have any trouble handling things AUTOMATICALLY; the issue is that on some direct-to-video/cheaply-produced DVDs I happen to rent regularly, the weird frame rates these films are captured at seem to "trip up" the NU's handling of the incoming 2160p signal because I'm using the Auto Motion Plus controls. I was just looking for confirmation on whether the display is actually being "tripped up" because these films are played back with weird rates, being that blockbuster DVD and Blu-ray titles DO NOT behave like this.

DVD and Blu-ray scaling is working fine for the most part, with the CXUHD doing the upconversion to the NU's native resolution; the issue is when I watch some behind-the-scenes footage or cheaply-made DVD rentals and these seem to be interacting in a funky way with the Samsung, evidenced by the fact that it ONLY happens when I view this type of material.

Hello,

I have recently setup my 55Nu8000, I’m having issues where the video appears to be ahead of the audio, I am two Milliseconds but it’s noticeable and distracting, has anyone experienced this and been able to fix it? It happens across Netflix and IPTV , YouTube etc.

Is this via the TV's built in apps or an external source?

What are you using for sound? The TV speakers, sound bar, AVR, etc.?

Hello,

I have this and it is a real pain. I don't use the TV's apps - I have three sources connected to the TV via a HDMI switch. For audio I use the TV's optical out looped through a Sony HW700DS headphone processor and thence to a Samsung sound bar (my wife is hard of hearing so needs the headphones else the sound bar would be at "imminent hearing loss" volume).

Both the headphones and sound bar have their own A/V sync setting and I used a popular video file to get them as close as possible using our primary source, an Enigma2 PVR.

But that gives me a significant sound delay when playing BD discs and the player can only delay the audio further, not advance it. So for discs I've resorted to ripping the main title to a NAS and watching it using MrMC on an Apple TV 4K. MrMC, being Kodi, can adjust audio both ways and a permanent 60 ms advance seems to do the trick. This doesn't help with streaming, but most apps on the ATV are reasonably in sync.

Is this via the TV's built in apps or an external source?

What are you using for sound? The TV speakers, sound bar, AVR, etc.?

Yes this is using the built in apps on the tv and from the App Store on the tv.

I used both the tv speakers and the Samsung N-650 sound bar that I have and both have the same issue.

I contact Samsung support through their chat service and the remotely accessed my tv and carried out a reset to settings on the tv, apps and smart hub and ensured my software was up to date but problem still remains.

I wonder if it’s common across all nu8000 sets or do I have a dodgy set? I bought back in January with richer sounds but only setup recently, I have a 6 year warranty that I should be able to use if faulty?

Cheers!

I have this and it is a real pain. I don't use the TV's apps - I have three sources connected to the TV via a HDMI switch. For audio I use the TV's optical out looped through a Sony HW700DS headphone processor and thence to a Samsung sound bar (my wife is hard of hearing so needs the headphones else the sound bar would be at "imminent hearing loss" volume).

Both the headphones and sound bar have their own A/V sync setting and I used a popular video file to get them as close as possible using our primary source, an Enigma2 PVR.

But that gives me a significant sound delay when playing BD discs and the player can only delay the audio further, not advance it. So for discs I've resorted to ripping the main title to a NAS and watching it using MrMC on an Apple TV 4K. MrMC, being Kodi, can adjust audio both ways and a permanent 60 ms advance seems to do the trick. This doesn't help with streaming, but most apps on the ATV are reasonably in sync.

I have only been able to use the TV’s apps at present as I am waiting to have an aerial fitted towards end of next week before being able to test analogue or digital tv channels to see how they are.

Ive tried both tv speakers and N-650 soundbar via ARC and both have the issue.

That’s quite a bit you have to do to watch your discs, it’s a wonder why they didn’t add an audio advance from default.

Cheers!

I checked the reference manual for the CHUHD and on page 12

The CXUHD supports a special Source Direct mode through its HDMI outputs.
This resolution is recommended for use with external video processors or high-end
TVs. In Source Direct mode, the player works as a “player”. It decodes video from
the discs and then sends the raw video signal in its native resolution and format,
without extra processing, to the external video processor or TV. The actual output
resolution varies by content:
Content Source Direct Output Resolution

NTSC DVD 480i
PAL DVD 576i

On page 14

Zoom
To change the zoom level, press the Zoom button on the remote control repeatedly
pressing the Zoom button will switch the zoom level in the following sequence:
1:1 (No zoom), Stretch/Compress, Full Screen, Under Scan, 1.2X, 1.3X, 1.5X,
2X, 1/2X.
The zoom level is reset to 1:1 when the disc is ejected, or when the player is
turned off.
Note: The Zoom feature may not be available when certain DVD or Blu-ray Discs
are played because the disc author chooses to disable Zoom."

LCD,

With regard to the Zoom functions, I completely get how those work; I use them when dealing with non-anamorphic DVDs, blowing them up to the proper aspect ratio (which is, ironically, the "FULL" setting, though this doesn't make the non-anamorphic transfers fill the screen)...

And on page 22

9. DVD 24p conversion
Enables 24Hz frame rate conversion for DVD. This option is only available when
1080p24 Output is enabled (set to On). Many DVDs that originate from theatrical

movies are encoded with a technique called "3:2 telecine" in order to convert the 24
frames per second film to 60Hz video signal. The player can convert the 60Hz video
signal back to 24 frames per second film and output as 1080p/24Hz. Smoother
motion may be achieved by enabling this option, if both the TV and the DVD disc
meet the conversion conditions.
On – Converts DVD to 24Hz frame rate when possible. Remember that motion

errors may be observed if the DVD is not suitable for such conversion.
Off (default) – Does not convert DVD to 24Hz frame rate.

I'm going to try the DVD 24p Conversion setting tonight, as I rented another direct-to-video DVD (Dead Trigger with Dolph Lundgren) and last night the disc we rented (T-34) exhibited choppy motion throughout, which got really annoying after awhile...

Here's what I wanted to ask you about Cambridge's explanation regarding this feature, though: They mention "Only available when 1080p24 Output is Enabled"....but does this apply to the player being set to AUTO, as I have it? When I leave it on AUTO, it selects 2160 resolution for my TV, of course, but the manual is making it seem as if only 1080p/24 controls this conversion function...

They mention "Only available when 1080p24 Output is Enabled"....but does this apply to the player being set to AUTO, as I have it? When I leave it on AUTO, it selects 2160 resolution for my TV, of course, but the manual is making it seem as if only 1080p/24 controls this conversion function...

Potentially, the CXUHD processor isn't powerful enough to do a 4K upscale and a motion function at the same time.

So in order to do the motion handling, the player can only upscale as far as 1080p.

Potentially, the CXUHD processor isn't powerful enough to do a 4K upscale and a motion function at the same time.

So in order to do the motion handling, the player can only upscale as far as 1080p.

Hold on, though -- the following is what I found on AVS regarding the Cambridge's cousin, Oppo's 203 (note where he mentions the 1080p/24 AND 4K/24 where I underlined it):

The content on an NTSC SD-DVD is 480i/60. Always.

The two, interlaced half frames that combine to make a full frame may have been recorded at the same instant in time (as when scanning a single frame of film) or at successive intervals of time, as when capturing SD video from a traditional video camera.

Folks like to refer to the former as 480p, but the content still comes off the disc as 480i, which then has to be de-interlaced.

Source Direct sends out what comes off the disc. If you would prefer the OPPO do the de-interlacing you can explicitly select 480p output.

Keep in mind that when SD-DVD came out, there was no such thing as “Progressive” SD-DVD players. De-interlacing was done in the simplest possible way — with a TV painting each interlaced half frame on top of the prior one over and over again. The flagging in the format for specifying how the interlaced half frames were recorded was not part of that. And the flagging was frequently incorrect due both to the tools used to create the disc, and editing of the content before it was put on the disc.

—————————-

NTSC DVDs are recorded on disc as 480i/60. This is true even if the content on disc came from a film shot at 24 frames per second. The process of raising film rate to video rate like this — called telecine — dates back to the earliest days of video. Again this comes from the fact that the TVs at the time could not handle /24 rate content.

Telecine only works because the content on disc exists as interlaced half frames, even if they were snapped at the same instant in time.

The OPPO provides optional DVD 24p Conversion which attempts to recover the original /24 rate by detecting and removing the telecine adjustments. This is for 1080p/24 or 4K/24 output. This Conversion works well on some SD-DVDs but not others. So you should be prepared to turn it off if you see stutter in pans for example.

Again, this is not for Source Direct or even explicit 480i or 480p output. Source Direct from NTSC SD-DVDs will always produce 480i/60 output.

This comes from:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-...official-oppo-udp-203-owner-s-thread-746.html

Hold on, though -- the following is what I found on AVS regarding the Cambridge's cousin, Oppo's 203 (note where he mentions the 1080p/24 AND 4K/24 where I underlined it):

The content on an NTSC SD-DVD is 480i/60. Always.

The two, interlaced half frames that combine to make a full frame may have been recorded at the same instant in time (as when scanning a single frame of film) or at successive intervals of time, as when capturing SD video from a traditional video camera.

Folks like to refer to the former as 480p, but the content still comes off the disc as 480i, which then has to be de-interlaced.

Source Direct sends out what comes off the disc. If you would prefer the OPPO do the de-interlacing you can explicitly select 480p output.

Keep in mind that when SD-DVD came out, there was no such thing as “Progressive” SD-DVD players. De-interlacing was done in the simplest possible way — with a TV painting each interlaced half frame on top of the prior one over and over again. The flagging in the format for specifying how the interlaced half frames were recorded was not part of that. And the flagging was frequently incorrect due both to the tools used to create the disc, and editing of the content before it was put on the disc.

—————————-

NTSC DVDs are recorded on disc as 480i/60. This is true even if the content on disc came from a film shot at 24 frames per second. The process of raising film rate to video rate like this — called telecine — dates back to the earliest days of video. Again this comes from the fact that the TVs at the time could not handle /24 rate content.

Telecine only works because the content on disc exists as interlaced half frames, even if they were snapped at the same instant in time.

The OPPO provides optional DVD 24p Conversion which attempts to recover the original /24 rate by detecting and removing the telecine adjustments. This is for 1080p/24 or 4K/24 output. This Conversion works well on some SD-DVDs but not others. So you should be prepared to turn it off if you see stutter in pans for example.

Again, this is not for Source Direct or even explicit 480i or 480p output. Source Direct from NTSC SD-DVDs will always produce 480i/60 output.

This comes from:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-...official-oppo-udp-203-owner-s-thread-746.html

If your CXUHD manual states 1080/24, then your player will very likely only do 1080/24. If it could upscale to 4K and still do 24p, I'm sure it would say so, as it would be a desirable selling feature.

The issue of the player detecting the telecine still exists though.

You mention that this only happens on "direct-to-video"/"cheap" DVDs, so it could simply be that the player isn't able to detect any telecine on these discs and so is not de-interlacing them properly; causing frame stutters or bad timings.

Yes this is using the built in apps on the tv and from the App Store on the tv.

I used both the tv speakers and the Samsung N-650 sound bar that I have and both have the same issue.

I contact Samsung support through their chat service and the remotely accessed my tv and carried out a reset to settings on the tv, apps and smart hub and ensured my software was up to date but problem still remains.

I wonder if it’s common across all nu8000 sets or do I have a dodgy set? I bought back in January with richer sounds but only setup recently, I have a 6 year warranty that I should be able to use if faulty?

Cheers!

This isn't something I have seen mentioned in this thread previously, so it definitely isn't common; if you are within your return or warranty window, I would have them swap it for a replacement unit.

If your CXUHD manual states 1080/24, then your player will very likely only do 1080/24. If it could upscale to 4K and still do 24p, I'm sure it would say so, as it would be a desirable selling feature.

Right, but it is possible that, in this day and age, the DVD upconversion to 2160, as we have been saying, isn't so much of a selling point anymore. Here's the thing: This feature ISN'T mentioned in the OPPO's manual, either, and was only known through experts like this Bob Paraseau and others on AVS who extensively test these players for Oppo (it is essentially the same player as my CXUHD).

The issue of the player detecting the telecine still exists though.

You mention that this only happens on "direct-to-video"/"cheap" DVDs, so it could simply be that the player isn't able to detect any telecine on these discs and so is not de-interlacing them properly; causing frame stutters or bad timings.

If this is the case, would switching the DVD 24FPS Conversion feature ON doing anything to smooth them?

Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't (but always only with these direct-to-video pieces of shite) -- for example, the disc we rented last night, a World War II era Russian tank story called T-34, exhibited non-stop twitching every few seconds, but the DVD we watched BEFORE that one did not.

Are you still having the issue?

Yeah but probs about once per week - it did it yesterday - when it restarts it boots with the samsung logo.

I may try and factory reset the TV this week and play about with the settings as I havnt really done this yet.

To be honest apart from the issue, the TV is really excellent.

The content on an NTSC SD-DVD is 480i/60. Always.l

We mentioned this here before. :)
It holds true even for PAL DVDs at 576i/50. Some PAL movies have been edited in video, with scene changes in the middle of an interlaced frame. StarTrek TMP Director's Cut is such a case.

Things like forcing 24p manually are trial and error.
Much better to let the NU handle it, since it does have an excellent deinterlacer / upscaler.

Yeah but probs about once per week - it did it yesterday - when it restarts it boots with the samsung logo.

I may try and factory reset the TV this week and play about with the settings as I havnt really done this yet.

To be honest apart from the issue, the TV is really excellent.

Is there any pattern to when it restarts?

Such as watching a particular input or app, TV feels hot, particular button pressed on remote, etc. Anything you can identify?

We mentioned this here before. :)

That wasn't the priority for why I was sharing that clip from AVS -- it had more to do with the 24FPS DVD Conversion feature on the Cambridge's cousin model, Oppo's 203, which is what was being discussed in that AVS thread.

Things like forcing 24p manually are trial and error.

I switched the feature on last night (DVD 24FPS Conversion) and watched a direct-to-video Lionsgate release, Dead Trigger with Dolph Lundgren, and there didn't seem to be any jerking or twitching issues, save for what the AMP system adds every few minutes based on the settings I'm running (Blur/Judder reduction). But all this means is that the film may have been "properly extractable" so far as its 24FPS imbedding was concerned; and I'm not sure if the disc I watched before that the other night that kept twitching forward every few seconds would have been improved by leaving the DVD Conversion feature on.

Is there any pattern to when it restarts?

Such as watching a particular input or app, TV feels hot, particular button pressed on remote, etc. Anything you can identify?
Just signed up here cause having the same issue with my 55” NU8000 happens about once every other day with my Xbox one X, not with my Apple TV, as I’m playing it just turns off, then restarts with the Samsung logo... very frustrating! Wish I knew what would fix it? Maybe firmware? Or is it the xbox?

Just signed up here cause having the same issue with my 55” NU8000 happens about once every other day with my Xbox one X, not with my Apple TV, as I’m playing it just turns off, then restarts with the Samsung logo... very frustrating! Wish I knew what would fix it? Maybe firmware? Or is it the xbox?

Hello,

I'm having the exact same issue with this tv and the xbox. Are you on alpha preview ring on xbox? I am and not sure if the problem is witht tv or the xbox. Once in a while the tv restarts with the samsung logo only while playing on xbox nothing else.

Does it only happen when using the Xbox?

Does it only happen when using the Xbox?
Yep it only happens with the Xbox being on? I was thinking for it being such a hassle of resetting like this I’d switch to PS4 lol, and actually yes I’m in the beta program with Xbox? I will unenroll and see if that helps? Good suggestion!

Yep it only happens with the Xbox being on? I was thinking for it being such a hassle of resetting like this I’d switch to PS4 lol, and actually yes I’m in the beta program with Xbox? I will unenroll and see if that helps? Good suggestion!

Interesting. Once you have unrolled, you'll have to let us know if it stops.

I'm not sure how a beta firmware on an external device would cause the TV to reboot though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom