Samsung Odyssey 2

Atmos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first pictures of Samsungs Odyssey HMD have leaked.

1579988896457.jpeg

Looks like an array of cameras behind a see through cover. No specs or price yet.

Seeing as the Odyssey Plus is a SteamVR supposed Headset it would be better if Samsung just ditched WMR altogether.

I wonder if Samsung stick with OLED or be first to use curved panels. I would guess the resolution and FOV to be somewhere around the Index if they’re expecting to sell in large numbers.

I like the look of this HMD. I just hope it’s not more than £500 when it’s released.

A picture of the front lattice. Hiden behind the front panel.

1579989795784.jpeg

Could this be to hold the cameras? There could be as many as eight cameras?

1579990042163.jpeg

It’s an interesting design while being very modern looking sort of retains some retro chic. It looks like something Jony Ive would come up with.
i like it :thumbsup:

not sure if it reminds me of a fly, a bussom or someone who went a bit big on the backside implants :)

(seriosuly if it looks like that its kind of cool in a geek kind of way)

What ever way you look at it, it seems Samsung are putting a lot of effort into it. Let’s hope the specs are as spectacular as the looks.

I just hope the retail version isnt white. Theres no way I can sneak a white headset past the wife.

So far Ive gone from: Rift -> Odyssey -> Pimax -> Index -> Reverb undetected :D

When ever I get something new I alway make the fatal mistake of leaving the outer packaging laying around. No matter how small an item she’ll know about it.

Those look like characteristic SteamVR photodiode dimples to me. I seriously doubt they'd stick cameras behind a plastic cover like that.

There doesn't seem to be enough of them to be SteamVR receptors. Though it's a curious arrangement for cameras. If they're not cameras then looks like there's no pass through camera for a chaperone.

Other than Atmos' prediction do we know it will support lighthouse?

my money is on windows MR device, which assuming that can support more than 2 cameras and it is just that previous designs have chosen not to, may not necessarily be that bad a thing.

What ever it is, if it is inside out tracking, i hope it is more like oculus' solution (or better) and not like current windows MR devices or the cosmos.

I havent tried the cosmos myself but spoke to those who have..... even the oculus inside out is not as good as constellation or lighout outside in, but that is the absolute minimum i would find acceptable for tracking if i was buying a new hmd myself (and preferably i want more)

I thought WMR was effectively dead at this point!
Its a strange one because i kind of thought that too, then HP bought out the HMD that many simmers consider to be the best home VR headset on the market right now.

honestly I dunno what is going on with WMR.

There doesn't seem to be enough of them to be SteamVR receptors. Though it's a curious arrangement for cameras. If they're not cameras then looks like there's no pass through camera for a chaperone.
Yeah, the number of dimples looks a bit low. Still I can't believe they'd stick cameras behind a darkened, reflective, scratch-prone plastic shell like that (unless the cover is meant to be removed when in use?)

@ArmitageShanks but if they are SteamVR receptors, then no pass through camera. That seems to be pretty standard amongst HMDs now.
The pass through camera is optional nicety. Pimax HMDs have no cameras either.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom