Samsung Q80T Owners thread

I never had issues with motion handling with the nu8000 but here is just on a better level. On very fast motion i would have some jagged edges, on very high frequency movement on the nu, it was the first thing that struck me how this tv preserves edges even in high frequency motion. Yes it is set to 3 by default.
As for hdr, back in the nu owners thread discussions over discussions on this issue of hdr and light bleed. Absolutely nothing here. Literally i would say the biggest improvement is the faled. I am in pitch black conditions and there is no light bleed whatsoever. In the nu due to it being edge lit especially with no bias lighting you could just tell where the leds were.
And i am talking about films that stress tvs with black bars. Matrix 4k, Alien 4k, Blade Runner 4k. Games like Gears that also stress it, Gears 4,5. I would say the faled is the single best improvement. And the hdr is more impactfull due to it. In sdr i always have the backlight at 25-30. If it's pitch black in hdr content then you can imagine it's the same in sdr. I never had an issue with the nu. It was fantastic. But only when i got this faled one i understood what i was missing. Game mode is hit or miss, but i remember you were a film buff mainly.
Gonna get back to you on this as soon as I can; I have experienced some significant differences compared to you.

Now you’ve had the TV a couple of months would you still say it’s a worthwhile upgrade from the NU8000? I’ve got the 55” and may be looking to get the 65” Q80T...
I had the NU8000 for two years almost before trading it for the Q80T. The NU is an amazing tv but trust me it is definitely worth the upgrade. The gains you get in HDR, colour, brightness, processing and most of all the FALED system are just worthwhile for me. Get it without a second thought i would say.

Can you guys comment on the sound? It seems the 80T has a quite good sound system compared to last year lineup.

in nvidia control panel i only have the option output color depth to 8 bpc.

did amyone else noticed this problem with their q80t? i dont recall having that issue with q70r or even with my hisense M7000.

Do you mean you could have 12 bpc in NVIDIA control panel with 4K resolution? I can only get it with 2K and often after changing resolution the signal received by TV is still 4K not 2K (you can see this by pressing the center of circle on TV remote), and I have to change scaling mode back and forth to fix that.

I did notice the graphic problem when playing Netflix through PC regardless the output color depth, but it disappears when using the TV's own app.

I'm planning on getting the 49" version one of these for when the PS5 releases.

Good choice?
Buy now or wait until closer the time thinking it might be a little cheaper?

Vagval13

hi a week have passed and still no update .could you please share a link to that source you mentioned?

Okay...just getting around to addressing this....

I never had issues with motion handling with the nu8000 but here is just on a better level. On very fast motion i would have some jagged edges, on very high frequency movement on the nu, it was the first thing that struck me how this tv preserves edges even in high frequency motion. Yes it is set to 3 by default.

So, just to clarify, when you initially stated, in that other post, that Judder Reduction is "natively implemented," you were referring to the default setting of "3"? Yes -- out of the box I believe all these Samsungs come set to Blur Reduction: 10 / Judder Reduction: 3 when using the Auto Motion Plus' Custom mode. That's what I left it as on my NU8000 for some time, but eventually switched to Judder Reduction: 5, as this seemed to give that almost-looking-through-a-window effect without SOE.

However, I have begun rethinking this because I believe the AMP system in the NU is causing some issues at these levels.

Now, in getting back to what you mentioned in the above post -- can you explain a bit more about the jagged edges on high frequency movement you experienced with the NU?

As for hdr, back in the nu owners thread discussions over discussions on this issue of hdr and light bleed. Absolutely nothing here. Literally i would say the biggest improvement is the faled. I am in pitch black conditions and there is no light bleed whatsoever. In the nu due to it being edge lit especially with no bias lighting you could just tell where the leds were.

Good to know; do you think the Samsung FALD implementation is almost as good as having an OLED in a dark room?

And i am talking about films that stress tvs with black bars. Matrix 4k, Alien 4k, Blade Runner 4k. Games like Gears that also stress it, Gears 4,5. I would say the faled is the single best improvement. And the hdr is more impactfull due to it. In sdr i always have the backlight at 25-30. If it's pitch black in hdr content then you can imagine it's the same in sdr. I never had an issue with the nu. It was fantastic. But only when i got this faled one i understood what i was missing. Game mode is hit or miss, but i remember you were a film buff mainly.

Yes, I am a film buff and that's what the TV is mainly used for; thanks for this info. If FALD is as good as you're saying, I may need to trade up soon.

I keep my backlight at "11" for SDR with my NU (the tested level Rtings used and what was confirmed for me by member Foster in the NU thread), and even with this low level, I can see light bleed in letterboxing in my pitch black room. It's truly annoying. HDR makes it even worse.

Just to confirm -- you keep Auto Motion Plus on the default 10/3 combo? And do you keep the HDR settings at default?

Hi, worry not. This is an issue along with a dimming bug problem that has been reported by many users with the latest update 1304. Samsung has said they are going to roll out an update on the 14th that will address it. it's a software related issue that was introduced with the last update 1304 not a tv problem and has affected q80t q90t even the 8k models. So just be patient until next week were theoretically it should be addressed and solved
Did Samsung ever roll out an update to address the dimming bug, and did this affect the NU series?

Did Samsung ever roll out an update to address the dimming bug, and did this affect the NU series?
Hi.
As of now they haven't rolled out the update (when i read the forums regarding this problem people claimed that samsung responded that by the 14th Sept they would roll out the update). For me this problem has not manifested. To make it clear it is a specific game mode issue not movie mode issue. I can't verify if i get any loss in brightness because i have not noticed anything of the sort in game mode. I did have some issues with banding but i switched my cable to an ultra high speed one (40gb/s), because 4k hdr signals need ultra high speed cables and the one i was using was simple high speed one with 18gb/s speed. For me it seemed to mitigate some colour compression-banding i had.
That being said there might still be some minor issues but to me eye i just can't notice anything. As for the NU i wouldn't worry. This is in relation to specific firmware for the 2020 qled lineup.

So, just to clarify, when you initially stated, in that other post, that Judder Reduction is "natively implemented," you were referring to the default setting of "3"? Yes -- out of the box I believe all these Samsungs come set to Blur Reduction: 10 / Judder Reduction: 3 when using the Auto Motion Plus' Custom mode. That's what I left it as on my NU8000 for some time, but eventually switched to Judder Reduction: 5, as this seemed to give that almost-looking-through-a-window effect without SOE.

However, I have begun rethinking this because I believe the AMP system in the NU is causing some issues at these levels.

Now, in getting back to what you mentioned in the above post -- can you explain a bit more about the jagged edges on high frequency movement you experienced with the NU?

Good to know; do you think the Samsung FALD implementation is almost as good as having an OLED in a dark room?

Yes, I am a film buff and that's what the TV is mainly used for; thanks for this info. If FALD is as good as you're saying, I may need to trade up soon.

I keep my backlight at "11" for SDR with my NU (the tested level Rtings used and what was confirmed for me by member Foster in the NU thread), and even with this low level, I can see light bleed in letterboxing in my pitch black room. It's truly annoying. HDR makes it even worse.

Just to confirm -- you keep Auto Motion Plus on the default 10/3 combo? And do you keep the HDR settings at default?
Trust me on that seriously, we have been discussing this for almost 2 years in the nu thread on how to mitigate the edge-lit problem. Thing is you simply can't. Whatever you do edge lit will always be edge lit no matter what we do. And yes. I am telling you i mainly use it for 4k hdr movies and the first thing that blew me away is switching the lights off putting on Matrix 4k and just having a pitch black screen with no blooming. If that is what you are after yes upgrade. It's not only that. It is a far superior tv to the nu in every aspect.

Ok regarding my high frequency thing. This has to do with video processing and not motion handling. During very fast movement especially in 4k hdr where the resolution is such that you can make clear outlines of everything, when the movement would be very fast (camera movement), i would notice some distortion in outlines. The qled 2020 lineup has the quantum processor and one of it's main focuses is preserving outlines really crisp. It's the algorithm that's impressive. And i won't even mention just how smooth the overall picture is when upscaling standard 1080p.

Motion handling altogether is just way better. As for faled implementation no, it can never be as good as an oled tv but trust me it is the closest i have ever seen it being (my friend has the lg c9) and it's more than enough for me to justify the move to the q80t. No light bleeding for me in pitch black conditions. I will take some photos of Alien 4k the epitome of the light bleeding movie on my nu (the film was so dark that you just couldn't avoid light bleed due to led placement on the edges of the screen), especially in fast transitions where the local dimming feature just couldn't handle it.
If you want the absolute best pitch black movie experience oled is the way i guess but this is really close to it and the fear of burn in for me personally is not worth the extra risk.

Anyone experiencing black crushing and/or loss of shadow detail in any modes on the Q80T?
Some reviews have mentioned black crushing exists on this TV.

Trust me on that seriously, we have been discussing this for almost 2 years in the nu thread on how to mitigate the edge-lit problem. Thing is you simply can't. Whatever you do edge lit will always be edge lit no matter what we do. And yes. I am telling you i mainly use it for 4k hdr movies and the first thing that blew me away is switching the lights off putting on Matrix 4k and just having a pitch black screen with no blooming. If that is what you are after yes upgrade. It's not only that. It is a far superior tv to the nu in every aspect.
Ok regarding my high frequency thing. This has to do with video processing and not motion handling. During very fast movement especially in 4k hdr where the resolution is such that you can make clear outlines of everything, when the movement would be very fast (camera movement), i would notice some distortion in outlines. The qled 2020 lineup has the quantum processor and one of it's main focuses is preserving outlines really crisp. It's the algorithm that's impressive. And i won't even mention just how smooth the overall picture is when upscaling standard 1080p.

Motion handling altogether is just way better. As for faled implementation no, it can never be as good as an oled tv but trust me it is the closest i have ever seen it being (my friend has the lg c9) and it's more than enough for me to justify the move to the q80t. No light bleeding for me in pitch black conditions. I will take some photos of Alien 4k the epitome of the light bleeding movie on my nu (the film was so dark that you just couldn't avoid light bleed due to led placement on the edges of the screen), especially in fast transitions where the local dimming feature just couldn't handle it.
If you want the absolute best pitch black movie experience oled is the way i guess but this is really close to it and the fear of burn in for me personally is not worth the extra risk.
I'll respond to these as soon as I can.

Anyone had issue with dirty screen effect? I have noticeable but slight banding on sports viewing. Am i being too picky or is it worth going through the return process?

Anyone had issue with dirty screen effect? I have noticeable but slight banding on sports viewing. Am i being too picky or is it worth going through the return process?
not realy they all have it to some degree

Hi.
As of now they haven't rolled out the update (when i read the forums regarding this problem people claimed that samsung responded that by the 14th Sept they would roll out the update). For me this problem has not manifested. To make it clear it is a specific game mode issue not movie mode issue. I can't verify if i get any loss in brightness because i have not noticed anything of the sort in game mode. I did have some issues with banding but i switched my cable to an ultra high speed one (40gb/s), because 4k hdr signals need ultra high speed cables and the one i was using was simple high speed one with 18gb/s speed. For me it seemed to mitigate some colour compression-banding i had.
That being said there might still be some minor issues but to me eye i just can't notice anything. As for the NU i wouldn't worry. This is in relation to specific firmware for the 2020 qled lineup.
Thanks.

I don't use Game mode ever, so I suppose it doesn't apply, anyway...

Thanks.

I think I have indeed given up on trying to mitigate the horrendous blooming with HDR on the NU; I'll leave everything at default HDR settings and upgrade when I can.

Here's what's weird: I'm experiencing a lot of video artifacts and other issues when playing discs on my Panasonic UB9000 into the NU, and I am beginning to think it's the display because when I ask people to check these specific titles on THEIR setups, they're not seeing the problems.

This manifests as weird shimmering and aliasing effects -- even on some 4K Blu-rays (I don't understand how this can be, being that the player is sending 2160P as a native source to a 2160P display) -- and I see a ton of it with DVDs and some 1080p Blu-rays.

So now I'm wondering if I am having issues with the video processing in my NU, and perhaps not the motion handling...

Thanks for your honest assessment here; indeed, I'd be interested in seeing those pics of the Alien 4K on your new set...

I'd consider a QLED, but I don't know if I want to give Samsung another chance after what we went through with our NU (had technicians out to the house THREE separate times).

How is the game mode on the Q80T? I've read people say that samsungs game mode implementation disables local dimming and washes out colours leading to a noticeably inferior picture quality. Is the game mode pq on this TV good enough?

How is the game mode on the Q80T? I've read people say that samsungs game mode implementation disables local dimming and washes out colours leading to a noticeably inferior picture quality. Is the game mode pq on this TV good enough?
it also has a global diming bug that dims the screen every 6 mins

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom