Samsung Q85R/Q80R owners thread

Your screen looks very reflective are you sure you have removed the plastic screen protector that goes over the full screen?

If you haven't might be an idea to keep it on?

Looks beautiful btw being that flat to the wall, are you using the flat fall mount? Personally I will use the VESA on a slight angle as it'll be above the fireplace like yours.
Thanks...definitely removed fella. The screen is shiney edge on. . This angle would show any marks on screen... Its bright in here, but i think brilliant at not reflecting much within my viewing area .
20200524_125940.jpg
20200524_125940.jpg
20200524_130053.jpg
20200524_125940.jpg
20200524_130053.jpg

Thanks...definitely removed fella. The screen is shiney edge on. . This angle would show any marks on screen... Its bright in here, but i think brilliant at not reflecting much within my viewing area .View attachment 1305251View attachment 1305251View attachment 1305252View attachment 1305251View attachment 1305252

Fair enough, I see what you mean now does handle reflections well actually looking at the photos.

I'm thinking either this or a LG Nano 90. Can't make my mind up.

i just ordered this model.Can i ask you wot model of soundbar you have under your tv,btw your setup looks beautiful mate.

i just ordered this model.Can i ask you wot model of soundbar you have under your tv,btw your setup looks beautiful mate.
Thanks, no prob ,Its an older samsung hw k550... no dolby atmos on this model. Chose silver to blend between the tv and unit. Sound is very thin on the tv itself and dts sound isn't supported. I have movies encoded with dts sound and the soundbar can decode it .. Kept it from a previous setup.😉

Last edited:
thanks for that,might have to look for something like this myself.

I'm noticing a faint horizontal line when the camera pans up and down when watching content, near the middle of the screen. Is this normal or are there any settings to alleviate it does anybody know?

So I think the 85 is the one to go for after looking through this thread, the only gripe is the screen anti reflective coating, is this true, you can't clean the screen? I have kids and things happen lol, I don't want my screen to end up with this blue hue, seems like a silly design really.
After wall mounting mine, I got quite a few fingerprint smudges around the edge of the screen, some of which turned blue. (Panic time). You could only see these when the TV was off. I gave it a gentle rub with a dry microfibre cloth and all the marks came off. (Panic over!).

After wall mounting mine, I got quite a few fingerprint smudges around the edge of the screen, some of which turned blue. (Panic time). You could only see these when the TV was off. I gave it a gentle rub with a dry microfibre cloth and all the marks came off. (Panic over!).

Brilliant so not as fragile as originally thought, seems a dry clean (new) microfibre is the way to go with these. I've used screen cleaners in the past but will stay well clear now. I'm now looking at the Q90 lol. Do I need one no, do I want one yes haha. I've also read there's a purple/blue border around the screen on the Q90, does this show on the 80/85?

Regards,

Josh

Brilliant so not as fragile as originally thought, seems a dry clean (new) microfibre is the way to go with these. I've used screen cleaners in the past but will stay well clear now. I'm now looking at the Q90 lol. Do I need one no, do I want one yes haha. I've also read there's a purple/blue border around the screen on the Q90, does this show on the 80/85?

Regards,

Josh
No border colour on mine.

JL. Offered 1299 for my ks8000 in February. Added 300 to get a q85 (1599 at the time) and another 5 years warranty...

Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020, 12:31
Subject: Your John Lewis Enquiry - Samsung Television [Incident: 200120-000411]

Response By Email (Daniel Lane) (31/01/2020 12:31)

Our reference: 200120-000411

I am emailing you to provide confirmation of the offer made in regards to your television. I was sorry to learn that your television developed an issue that required an engineer and am keen to assist you in a resolution.

Regrettably we have received notification that the engineers are unable to repair your television. As your product is still within the John Lewis 5 year guarantee, we would like to offer you an exchange item which you can view online or in your local John Lewis shop.

Product: LG OLED55B9PLA (2019) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55" with Freeview Play/Freesat HD, Dolby Atmos
Current Selling Price: £1299.00

The above television can be provided at no extra cost with a 24 Month guarantee. This is a continuation of the five year guarantee from the purchase date of your original television.

If you would like to consider an alternative television, we would be more than happy to offer you the current selling value of the above television to put towards one of your choosing. If your chosen television is more that the value offered, you will be asked to pay the difference in price; however, you will be provided with a brand new 5 year John Lewis guarantee from the date of delivery. If it is less, you will be refunded the difference and supplied a continuation of your guarantee as advised above.

Alternatively you are welcome to view these televisions in your local John Lewis shop. For details of your local John Lewis please follow the web link below:

Shop finder | John Lewis & Partners

We look forward to hearing from you regarding your preferred replacement television.

Kind regards,

Daniel Lane
John Lewis Technical Support
0330 123 0106

[---001:002050:10655---]

how much did you pay for the KS8000? Theyare arguing that I got my TV on offer for £450 so won’t give me anymore than that. It’s good to have your email though to show them, thanks.

how much did you pay for the KS8000? Theyare arguing that I got my TV on offer for £450 so won’t give me anymore than that. It’s good to have your email though to show them, thanks.
It was 1399 in 2017... three years -to the week it became faulty with a flicker on th left hand side of the screen.... was more irritating than anything else. Thought i was being picky...but got a good result there.
Thought it may be useful to ya fella 😉

It was 1399 in 2017... three years -to the week it became faulty with a flicker on th left hand side of the screen.... was more irritating than anything else. Thought i was being picky...but got a good result there.
Thought it may be useful to ya fella 😉

thank you. I guess it is an original price thing. I’ve emailed the head of customer services to escalate it.

ok folks mine should be here by saturday 65 q85r,any tips for setup and any suggestions for movies to watch over weekend.

ok folks mine should be here by saturday 65 q85r,any tips for setup and any suggestions for movies to watch over weekend.
I get the impression these panels are all slightly different. I read of green hues and motion issues. Mine has none of this (lucky?). The tv stores values for standard and hdr separately so some experiment is needed. Im happy with mine set as this for standard viewing. Suppose room variations will come into play too. Give the set time to 'settle in' . Either i got used to it, or it improves with a week or so of being on 😉
received_522633478425313.jpeg

Anyone have any lip sync issues with the q80?
Got it linked up to my Denon dht t110 sound base via optical and there seems to be lip syncing issues however it seems to come and go even on the same source, sometimes it seems to marry up fine then later on there will be a slight, but noticeable, delay.

Anyone have any lip sync issues with the q80?
Got it linked up to my Denon dht t110 sound base via optical and there seems to be lip syncing issues however it seems to come and go even on the same source, sometimes it seems to marry up fine then later on there will be a slight, but noticeable, delay.

yes. If you have a source plugged directly into the tv (one connect box in my case, as it’s the Q85r), that source is outputting bitstreamed audio (so Dolby digital, Dolby digital+ rather than pcm) and the tv is set to output as Dolby digital too then you will get an audio delay that you cannot correct.
native apps such as Netflix, amazon etc are not affected.
the only “fix” is to set the tv to output sound as pcm (or plug source into your amp or sound bar). Not really a valid fix...

the tv seems to be decoding the input stream and then recording it for output, causing a delay.
Lots of people suffering from it and Samsung have their fingers in their ears about it.
also not mentioned in any reviews anywhere.

I want to plug my PS4 directly into the tv so I can activate automatic game mode switching, but I get audio delay from that too, unless I switch it to pcm audio - but then you only get stereo sound.

Ordered an 85r from Richer Sounds, £949 at the moment, only £50 more than the 80r so seemed a bargain, didn't hesitate when i saw the deal so imagine my joy when I saw that JL have it at £100 off after I'd already ordered.......still pleased with the 6 year warranty and RS customer service mean a lot.

No delivery date as yet but looking forward to getting a new toy.

Been through this thread from page 1, so armed with plenty of advice, particularly the care needed when cleaning the screen, my wife has a habit of using polish......so I'm putting a warning sticker on it until her muscle memory is corrected..:laugh: I realise my paranoia means that this is now my responsibility for ever more...I've even bought a new microfibre cloth that will not be used on anything else...so sad...

So, thanks to everyone who has contributed to the thread..:thumbsup:

I'm waiting on a call tonite from the delivery ppl, with a time slot for tomorrow, I'm getting 6585r and how the hell am I meant to sleep tonite lol. This thread has been brill, in giving lots of info about, settings, cleaning, general tips. Thank you to everyone and keep it coming, will put a couple of pics up over the weekend when it's settled into its new home,

Ordered an 85r from Richer Sounds, £949 at the moment, only £50 more than the 80r so seemed a bargain, didn't hesitate when i saw the deal so imagine my joy when I saw that JL have it at £100 off after I'd already ordered.......still pleased with the 6 year warranty and RS customer service mean a lot

Pretty sure Richer Sounds will still pricematch upto a week after your order :)

@belfastbloke and @Mikewsc - enjoy your sets when they arrive - I know you will.
I and others have a good whinge about some issues, but they are niggles really, that have workarounds, so don’t let the detract from the fact you are getting a fantastic TV and the prices right now are just fab.:thumbsup:

Hi guys, anybody watch football on the Q80 ? What’s it like? Looking to possibly buy one tomorrow but just want peoples opinion on this tv for watching sport ( mainly on sky) Also looking at 65 inch anyone seen any good deals, thank you in advance.

Ok my opinion on this tv which I had since yesterday, I'm coming from one week of lg b9 oled which I returned due to faulty tv.
Initially i was either gonna exchange for b9 or get c9, but I chose refund.
I then saw 65q85r for 1179 richer sounds price beat which was difficult to ignor and ended up buying it.

Ok initial thoughts on q85r, I was a bit underwhelmed.

It's no way near an oled in picture quality, it has it's moments but lg b9 even in hdr beats this tv hands down, no amount of nits/ brightness can compete with the picture quality of lg b9. The colours are so much better.

Black levels are very close on q85r to oled levels, and is viewing angle.

this is still one of the best lcd tv you can buy right now, apart from the q90.
But at the price of 1179 it's only just worth it, no way £3000 initial price at launch.

It's still early and I've tried rtings settings as a starter but cannot get it to look like oled.

I was a guy who never bought top quality tv before and in the space of 1 week I bought 2 top tv's, lg b9 and q85r, and coming from my previous tv samsung 6020 which I paid £700 FEW years ago, I thought I had a mediocre tv as sdr was great, but hdr was almost the same, no difference.

But to my surprise only the lg b9 looked good in hdr and there was a clear difference in sdr to hdr,
But on the samsung q85r not as much, yeah it's brighter but the colours look better with sdr for some reason.
I have tried few settings from various sites but can't get it to look as good or better than sdr.

At the moment I feel like I downgraded from lg b9 but not much upgraded from my old Samsung 6020.

Surely there must be something wrong with my settings, no eco mode is selected or intelligent mode, backlight is at 50 in hdr etc. Movie mode with warm 2 etc .

I know you're going to say why not exchange for b9, but with me once something goes wrong I don't bother with the same model.

But maybe I should have in this instance just did a straight exchange.

Also I have my tv I the bedroom and when playing hdr movie, the room is lit up, it's so bright at 50 backlight, would it be wrong to decrease the backlight to 30? Or is the whole point of hdr is to have the tv on max brightness to take advantage of the hdr?

Sdr and hdr on this tv have similar nits, is that why I can't notice a huge difference in picture quality?
Sdr backlight is set to 30 and hdr backlight is at 50 .

Last edited:
Ok my opinion on this tv which I had since yesterday, I'm coming from one week of lg b9 oled which I returned due to faulty tv.
Initially i was either gonna exchange for b9 or get c9, but I chose refund.
I then saw 65q85r for 1179 richer sounds price beat which was difficult to ignor and ended up buying it.

Ok initial thoughts on q85r, I was a bit underwhelmed.

It's no way near an oled in picture quality, it has it's moments but lg b9 even in hdr beats this tv hands down, no amount of nits/ brightness can compete with the picture quality of lg b9. The colours are so much better.

Black levels are very close on q85r to oled levels, and is viewing angle.

this is still one of the best lcd tv you can buy right now, apart from the q90.
But at the price of 1179 it's only just worth it, no way £3000 initial price at launch.

It's still early and I've tried rtings settings as a starter but cannot get it to look like oled.

I was a guy who never bought top quality tv before and in the space of 1 week I bought 2 top tv's, lg b9 and q85r, and coming from my previous tv samsung 6020 which I paid £700 FEW years ago, I thought I had a mediocre tv as sdr was great, but hdr was almost the same, no difference.

But to my surprise only the lg b9 looked good in hdr and there was a clear difference in sdr to hdr,
But on the samsung q85r not as much, yeah it's brighter but the colours look better with sdr for some reason.
I have tried few settings from various sites but can't get it to look as good or better than sdr.

At the moment I feel like I downgraded from lg b9 but not much upgraded from my old Samsung 6020.

Surely there must be something wrong with my settings, no eco mode is selected or intelligent mode, backlight is at 50 in hdr etc. Movie mode with warm 2 etc .

I know you're going to say why not exchange for b9, but with me once something goes wrong I don't bother with the same model.

But maybe I should have in this instance just did a straight exchange.

Also I have my tv I the bedroom and when playing hdr movie, the room is lit up, it's so bright at 50 backlight, would it be wrong to decrease the backlight to 30? Or is the whole point of hdr is to have the tv on max brightness to take advantage of the hdr?

Sdr and hdr on this tv have similar nits, is that why I can't notice a huge difference in picture quality?
Sdr backlight is set to 30 and hdr backlight is at 50 .

I literally did the same thing a few weeks ago, having a faulty B9 and replacing it with a Q85R.

I'm not as disappointed as you are, infact not really disappointed at all. The black levels are close to OLED standards like you said, SDR looks great and HDR looks even better. Try messing with the settings untill you find something that suits you, I started with the Rtings settings and adjusted accordingly.

I do have a faint horizontal line but I'll get samsung to check it out once the lockdown restrictions are lifted.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom