Samsung Q85R/Q80R owners thread

Im having nothing but problems with my Q80R which i got from John Lewis a few weeks back.

I have a denon x2500h amp which feeds through my nvidia shield 4k and ps4 pro to the telly... I can get the nvidia to display no problems in 4k and with my amp set to enhanced, but the ps4 pro doesn't work at all in enhanced mode but only remains in standard (8bit HDR).

I have swapped cables and tried different inputs but no dice... any ideas?

Im having nothing but problems with my Q80R which i got from John Lewis a few weeks back.

I have a denon x2500h amp which feeds through my nvidia shield 4k and ps4 pro to the telly... I can get the nvidia to display no problems in 4k and with my amp set to enhanced, but the ps4 pro doesn't work at all in enhanced mode but only remains in standard (8bit HDR).

I have swapped cables and tried different inputs but no dice... any ideas?

Sounds likr a setting on the ps4 pro needs changing

hi all, I’m thinking of getting a 65” Q85R and a Q70R soundbar with the hope of getting some Dolby Atmos fun. The problem is I’m trying to understand how easy, or not, it is to get Atmos with this combination. It seems that the guaranteed way is via eARC which it seems the Q85R doesn’t support, but is it supported via a Wi-fi/Bluetooth connection between the soundbar and TV?

hi all, I’m thinking of getting a 65” Q85R and a Q70R soundbar with the hope of getting some Dolby Atmos fun. The problem is I’m trying to understand how easy, or not, it is to get Atmos with this combination. It seems that the guaranteed way is via eARC which it seems the Q85R doesn’t support, but is it supported via a Wi-fi/Bluetooth connection between the soundbar and TV?
I have 65' Q80R (in Australia it has OneConnect) and Q70R soundbar. Only way to get Atmos is via HDMI ARC on OneConnect (or TV if you don't have OneConnect) to HDMI on soundbar. Won't get Atmos via wifi or BT

I have 65' Q80R (in Australia it has OneConnect) and Q70R soundbar. Only way to get Atmos is via HDMI ARC on OneConnect (or TV if you don't have OneConnect) to HDMI on soundbar. Won't get Atmos via wifi or BT
Thanks, so you just have to run a single HDMI from the OneConnect to the soundbar and you are good? I heard that the streaming services apps on the TV (Netflix, Prime etc) don't actually support atmos, if that's the case I guess I would have to run streaming via my fire stick.

Also, given that the set doesn't have eARC I assume you get lossy Atmos, any thoughts on how good/bad that is?

Firmware 1356.2 has been released on the UK Samsung site, not sure what changes have been made though, anyone know?

I couldn't see any changelog in there for the 1356.2 though...

@gritbox and @MarkPJ
I did a factory reset last night and went back through the setup wizard. Think it seems better than before.
I did have a cable that failed HDMI cable test that I had replaced since initial setup. Wouldn’t have thought it would have caused problems but you never know...
Maybe worth a shot @gritbox ?

Last edited:
I had a Q85R delivered on Wednesday, so far I'm really happy with it. I do have a couple of little issues though.
My TV can't seem to turn on my Apple TV 4K. I have to turn on the Apple TV with its remote. When the TV and Apple TV are on, the smart remote can control the Apple TV through HDMI CEC (or whatever Samsung call it), so there seems to be no issue there.
Also, Bixby seems to just appear without an actual prompt and I find it a bit useless anyway. If I ask it to play Xbox, it may sometimes change the channel, but mostly hears something completely different. Has anyone else come across these issues?

So my Q85R is coming this evening! I'll start off with the settings from rtings and see how it goes.

As I'm still deciding on my 4K disc spinner, any suggestions on some 4K HDR streaming goodness to give it a test run? I have netflix, Amazon and Disney + so should have a few options!

My ps4 is trying to tell me that the tv doesnt support hdr...

Is this something to do with the hdmi port I have it plugged into?

If it has to be the arc one then am I stuffed since the soundbar is in there?

@gritbox and @MarkPJ
I did a factory reset last night and went back through the setup wizard. Think it seems better than before.
I did have a cable that failed HDMI cable test that I had replaced since initial setup. Wouldn’t have thought it would have caused problems but you never know...
Maybe worth a shot @gritbox ?

OK probably spoke too soon.
this is definitely content related. It can handle most stuff but sucks at some basics in other content.

It most certainly can’t handle the soaps on ITV over Virgin V6.
It may well absolutely rule with 4K blu ray, but it ought to be able to handle the simple stuff in this day and age. Sony and Panasonic nailed this stuff years and years ago.I’m continuing to monitor closely before defying what to do. We don’t actually watch 4K hdr content all of the time... 😜

this is definitely content related. It can handle most stuff but sucks at some basics in other content.

It may well absolutely rule with 4K blu ray, but it ought to be able to handle the simple stuff in this day and age. Sony and Panasonic nailed this stuff years and years ago.I’m continuing to monitor closely before defying what to do. We don’t actually watch 4K hdr content all of the time... 😜
Make sure you configure the V6 outputs properly.

Before I had a 14yo Sharp Acquios where letting the TV do the upscaling was perfectly adequate, however I have found that letting this TV do the upscaling is not always better, after a lot of trial and error with lots of content I found that letting the V6 do the upscaling up to 1080p is better and then allow the TV to upscale to 4K/pick up the 4K natively.

Make sure you configure the V6 outputs properly.

Before I had a 14yo Sharp Acquios where letting the TV do the upscaling was perfectly adequate, however I have found that letting this TV do the upscaling is not always better, after a lot of trial and error with lots of content I found that letting the V6 do the upscaling up to 1080p is better and then allow the TV to upscale to 4K/pick up the 4K natively.
Hi @evans76 - yeah tried both. You’re right, the TV is better at upscaling so that’s what it’s currently doing. I have all video output settings above the line enabled in the V6 config so it is outputting 1080i unadulterated to the TV (albeit via the Denon avr-x1600 with HDMI output set to enhanced).

Yep, motion is fine on some stuff and crap on others

Must be to do with the source material

My ps4 is trying to tell me that the tv doesnt support hdr...

Is this something to do with the hdmi port I have it plugged into?

If it has to be the arc one then am I stuffed since the soundbar is in there?

Hi mate have you turned on uhd colour, or signal plus I think it's called nowadays. The HDMI port needs to be in its enhanced setting and by default it will be off

I had a Q85R delivered on Wednesday, so far I'm really happy with it. I do have a couple of little issues though.
My TV can't seem to turn on my Apple TV 4K. I have to turn on the Apple TV with its remote. When the TV and Apple TV are on, the smart remote can control the Apple TV through HDMI CEC (or whatever Samsung call it), so there seems to be no issue there.
Also, Bixby seems to just appear without an actual prompt and I find it a bit useless anyway. If I ask it to play Xbox, it may sometimes change the channel, but mostly hears something completely different. Has anyone else come across these issues?

Since an update, I forget when, the apple TV needs an additional button press before it wakes. Something which may work though with the Samsung remote if it is asleep.

Bring up the quick menu with all the sources (not the home menu bar) the atv will be there, probably with a standby icon, push up on the atv source select anynet and then press select on the atv device in the list, it should now wake.

Since an update, I forget when, the apple TV needs an additional button press before it wakes. Something which may work though with the Samsung remote if it is asleep.

Bring up the quick menu with all the sources (not the home menu bar) the atv will be there, probably with a standby icon, push up on the atv source select anynet and then press select on the atv device in the list, it should now wake.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try. I accidentally found out that pressing the return key (return arrow) it actually turns the Apple TV. Very strange if you ask me, but I can live with it.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try. I accidentally found out that pressing the return key (return arrow) it actually turns the Apple TV. Very strange if you ask me, but I can live with it.

Yeah that would make sense mate as the return key on the TV controller and the menu key on the atv do the same function

The issue was brought in with ios13

Thread relating to the harmony remote on Reddit but the same theory would have also applied to other all in one remotes

Yeah that would make sense mate as the return key on the TV controller and the menu key on the atv do the same function

The issue was brought in with ios13

Thread relating to the harmony remote on Reddit but the same theory would have also applied to other all in one remotes

Thanks for the info. I guess it’s not a terrible idea, but it would be nice if there was a menu option to change this. I bloody hate the Apple TV remote.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom