Samsung Q900R 8K QLED TV available September 2018 - news discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to forbes it also has one hdmi2.1 ready port aswell.

Does it display native 8K resolutions? 2 HDMI inputs required? Or is it just upscaling? Or is it faux sub pixel 8K, like Sharp did in the early 1080p days? Not exactly very clear is it.....

Wow .That was quite early. If these can really outperform OLEDs in terms of consistency then I might consider swapping my OLED for this

Does it display native 8K resolutions? 2 HDMI inputs required? Or is it just upscaling? Or is it faux sub pixel 8K, like Sharp did in the early 1080p days? Not exactly very clear is it.....

Its a native 8K set and apparently has one HDMI 2.1 port. If so this would be a very futureproof TV for anyone currently looking at a new set. Providing the prices arn't crazy. Native 8K, 4000 nits and a HDMI 2.1 connection. If this also has eARC along with VRR that's a pretty impressive spec.

Its a native 8K set and apparently has one HDMI 2.1 port. If so this would be a very futureproof TV for anyone currently looking at a new set. Providing the prices arn't crazy. Native 8K, 4000 nits and a HDMI 2.1 connection. If this also has eARC along with VRR that's a pretty impressive spec.

If it does have a 2.1 input, coupled with native 8K, and 4000nits, it's gonna cost a lot.......how much is the 65" Q9FN retailing for? Add on £2K?

I think its £3500 for the 65 Q9FN at the moment. I think the Samsung conference is on right now also so there might be prices very soon.

I think its £3500 for the 65 Q9FN at the moment. I think the Samsung conference is on right now also so there might be prices very soon.

Yeah it's an easy £6K.

Prices in Europe:

4.999 65", 6.999 75", 85" 14.999 (€). Not cheap but not crazy expensive imho.

Regards

Prices in Europe:

4.999 65", 6.999 75", 85" 14.999 (€). Not cheap but not crazy expensive imho.

Regards

That's not half bad, all things considered! Now the one issue remaining, is that they have a Samsung logo :D

Every time I’ve bought something that looked futureproofed everyone moved the goal posts.

With how tech is it’s definitely a mugs game to buy something in assumption that in a few years when there is some 8k content it even resembles what we think it might be today.

According to the press release only the 85" reaches 4000nits. 65" and 75" can be much different TVs and only a slight upgrade to the Q9FN. You don´t get 8K resolution and picture processing for free. The prices of the 65" and 75" seems very low for a complete revolutionary set and still no word about miniLED backlight. So we have to wait and see how they will perform in real life.

Those prices are pretty damn good if true.. I was expecting highter. 7K for the 75inch seems very good. The reason why I'm saying its very future proof is because its the only set on the market with a HDMI 2.1 port and wont need tone mapping for HDR10 because it hits 4000 nits.

According to the press release only the 85" reaches 4000nits. 65" and 75" can be much different TVs and only a slight upgrade to the Q9FN. You don´t get 8K resolution and picture processing for free. The prices of the 65" and 75" seems very low for a complete revolutionary set and still no word about miniLED backlight. So we have to wait and see how they will perform in real life.

Where did you read about only the 85 reaching 4000 nits? The press release I read clearly stated all TV's are 8K+4000 nits on all the 4 sizes.

German press release! Even in the headline.

Dank der QLED-Technologie von Samsung kann der Verbraucher die echte 8K-Auflösung mit bis zu 4.000 Nits Spitzenhelligkeit (85 Zoll Modell) erleben – der Standard, dem die meisten Filmstudios folgen.

Mit QLED 8K TV läutet Samsung zur IFA eine neue Ära seiner Bildqualität ein. In 65 (163 cm), 75 (189 cm) und 85 Zoll (216 cm) erfüllt die Q900 Serie die Kundenwünsche nach großen Display-Diagonalen, hochwertigem Design und immer höherer Bildqualität. Möglich wird diese durch die vierfache 4K-Auflösung, extrem hohe Helligkeitswerte von bis zu 4.000 Nits (85 Zoll Modell), enorm tiefes Schwarz dank Direct Full Array Elite und 100 Prozent Farbvolumen. Ungeachtet der Auflösung des Ausgangsmaterials optimiert der Quantum Processor 8K mithilfe von künstlicher Intelligenz Bild und Ton, sodass Zuschauer Bilder in atemberaubender 8K HDR Qualität mit phänomenaler Tiefenwirkung genießen können. Edles 360-Grad-Design, der stilvolle Ambient-Modus und die One Invisible Connection runden das Premium-TV-Erlebnis der Q900 Serie ab.

IFA 2018: Samsung ebnet mit QLED 8K TV den Weg in eine neue Ära seiner Bildqualität

It makes sense, because a bigger screen means a more advanced LED backlight. At the moment it´s only marketing by Samsung. 4000nits doesn´t mean that they reach it after a right color calibration at D65 standards. There were big differenences in peak brightness by Samsung TVs in the past between a calibrated and not calibrated picture. They reaching their maximum only with too cold color temperature over 11000K. It´s also a limitation of the QD-technology. They need a blue UV backlight to shine. For highest luminance the picture is too cold.

Last edited:
I have to ask, what is the point in going to an 8K panel? What source can drive it at its native resolution? Most films being shot today are still using 2K effects with the same Digital Intermediate, never mind the 4K that is becoming more standard.

Surely it makes more sense to push the 4K tech to the limits first?

German press release! Even in the headline.

IFA 2018: Samsung ebnet mit QLED 8K TV den Weg in eine neue Ära seiner Bildqualität

It makes sense, because a bigger screen means a more advanced LED backlight.

True but I feel like wed need clarification on that as that's the only place that's stated that and everywhere else with the way its worded seems to describe the 4000nits as a feature for the whole range (Q HDR 8K). I'm sure well get more info on that soon and clarification.

Every time I’ve bought something that looked futureproofed everyone moved the goal posts.
I've said it many time, There is no technology that can be future proofed. It an impossible definition.

I won't jump into the 8K wagon. It is hard enough to find 4K material let alone 8K. This can be an excellent TV according to Samsung but usually they are not as excellent as we were told by the manufacturer.

Another point is that the first wave of 8K is going to be very experimental like it was with 4K. The first 4K wave did not work very well with the subsequent models. I will wait till it matures and standards are more defined before considering 8K.

True but I feel like wed need clarification on that as that's the only place that's stated that and everywhere else with the way its worded seems to describe the 4000nits as a feature for the whole range (Q HDR 8K). I'm sure well get more info on that soon and clarification.

IFA is in Germany and the german pressrelease is more detailed described for the regional sales here in Germany and longer than the worldwide press release. So I guess, the german press release will be correct.

I'm sure we will find out today once we get proper impressions and details. Hopefully the smaller sizes have specs that are close enough to that.

Those prices are pretty damn good if true.. I was expecting highter. 7K for the 75inch seems very good. The reason why I'm saying its very future proof is because its the only set on the market with a HDMI 2.1 port and wont need tone mapping for HDR10 because it hits 4000 nits.

Respected US reviewer, he seems certain it doesn't have 2.1....

Does seem very early to have a 2.1 chipset, so the TV is solely relying on upscaling then, or native 8K 24hz..

The cost is making more sense now.

Screenshot_20180830-113007_Twitter.jpg

Video from the press conference:

Respected US reviewer, he seems certain it doesn't have 2.1....

Does seem very early to have a 2.1 chipset, so the TV is solely relying on upscaling then, or native 8K 24hz..

The cost is making more sense now.

View attachment 1055379

I was just going by what John Archer stated.

"One big issue for 8K TVs is the need for their HDMI inputs to handle the vast volumes of data associated with 8K video streams. So it’s a massive relief to find that the Q900Rs will all carry one HDMI built to the recently ratified HDMI 2.1 standard capable of handling 8K data streams."

According to him they will have one capable HDMI 2.1 port.

I was just going by what John Archer stated.

"One big issue for 8K TVs is the need for their HDMI inputs to handle the vast volumes of data associated with 8K video streams. So it’s a massive relief to find that the Q900Rs will all carry one HDMI built to the recently ratified HDMI 2.1 standard capable of handling 8K data streams."

According to him they will have one capable HDMI 2.1 port.

I love conflicting info! I'd be really surprised if it can handle 8K 60hz, but I want to be surprised! They've made a real deal about AI upscaling, I just don't see why they would add a HDMI 2.1 this early, I mean they can get away with saying 8K as 2.0 can do that at 24hz, graphics cards that would make use of 8K 60hz over HDMI are at least a year away.

Then you have to think, what is the point of 8K 24hz!? They'll be no movie material for a really long time, and there is no point using that for a PC, so it'll be no use, it has to be 8K 60, and even then it's just for the PC crowd.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom