Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting the brightness down on HDR material is what I do, and the picture quality is very good. I have the 55Q90R, which I believe has somewhat less native contrast compared to the larger models, so settings needs also to be selected to have the black bars black. I watch in a dimmed lighting so I reduce the backlight in HDR (a no-no according to some) and use local dimming= Low. I have two reasons for this; Not to have the subtitles burn my eyes and not see any scene brightness pumping when subtitles are shown. My HDR picture (Netflix mostly) still has some more punch than SDR. For sure it doesn't give the "correct NITS" but I like it ;) It could also be that content providers/implementers need to adapt to the new capabilities and design picture elements like logo and subtitles to suitable brightness (without sunglasses).

thanks. would you say the Q90r is brighter than an Oled full stop even with SDR ? i'm just worried that if i got one i would say reduce the brightness but then lose the quality of the display as well . On my ancient plasma its not bright but gives what i believe is very realistic picture.

thanks for the info and the suggestion ..any other sets i can consider ? i need something with a 5 year warranty
No probs. Not alot about really, especially if you don't want oled. Samsung and Sony do full array local dimming TVs. Btw, the Q90R has a 500 nit peak brightness in SDR mode. And 1500 in HDR. So it's pretty bright. You can pop it into movie mode an ambient an eco modes tho. Those mode's automatically dim the image to match the light in the room and dim the image to save energy. But if you don't like bright you will hate most of the picture mode's on this TV because dynamic, natural and standard are all bright.

... You can pop it into movie mode an ambient an eco modes tho. Those mode's automatically dim the image to match the light in the room and dim the image to save energy. But if you don't like bright you will hate most of the picture mode's on this TV because dynamic, natural and standard are all bright.
I don't understand your comment. I use Movie mode, to avoid oversaturated less natural colours. If the default backlight setting is too bright, just use the Backlight setting (in expert menu) to reduce it. I do think Backlight setting is available also in the other modes, but they use other picture processing parameters (but I haven't checked because Movie was the best starting point).

last night I was getting quite a bit of sound breakup on BBC 1 HD last night,
this was watching through Sky Q. Anyone else had this issue.

I don't understand your comment. I use Movie mode, to avoid oversaturated less natural colours. If the default backlight setting is too bright, just use the Backlight setting (in expert menu) to reduce it. I do think Backlight setting is available also in the other modes, but they use other picture processing parameters (but I haven't checked because Movie was the best starting point).
I was telling him the ways he can make the picture darker as he doesn't like a bright image. You have a few options to darken the image.
1.Movie mode
2.Ambient light mode
3.Eco mode
(Or a combo of all 3 above)
4.Just dim the backlight or brightness

I know you shared a number of different settings a couple of pages back in this thread, but do you have any specifically for viewing sports/football? Got the TV this week and whilst I've been happy with it so far, I just finished watching the football on Sky HD and spent the majority of time playing about with various settings and couldn't settle on anything I was happy with, motion/blur/judder were particularly disappointing.
Only just seen your post so my apologies for the delayed reply. As I have stated before my settings are more or less these:
Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 23
Brightness 0
Contrast 41
Sharpness 0
Color 23
Tint 0
Digital Clean Off
Motion > Custom (0,0)
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancer Low
Color Tone Warm2
BT.1886 -1
Color Space Native
Only my backlight is 20, auto motion is off, colour tone warm 1, gamma 2.2 colour space auto.

My Q90R arrives tomorrow evening so i'll let you know how it compares to the F8000...miss that TV it had a stunning picture.....the NU8000....worst TV PQ....l have ever owned....=LIGHT POLLUTION,should have done my research....we all make mistakes...lol

I have the NU8000 and have to agree with you about the "light pollution," Milano...utterly horrific. Can't wait to move on from this thing...

Only just seen your post so my apologies for the delayed reply. As I have stated before my settings are more or less these:
Picture Mode Standard
Backlight 23
Brightness 0
Contrast 41
Sharpness 0
Color 23
Tint 0
Digital Clean Off
Motion > Custom (0,0)
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancer Low
Color Tone Warm2
BT.1886 -1
Color Space Native
Only my backlight is 20, auto motion is off, colour tone warm 1, gamma 2.2 colour space auto.
Thanks, what's the reasoning for disabling auto motion? Particularly for sports content.

That is one of two settings recommended, but, as with all the Samsungs I've owned turning it off seems to work best with tv viewing. However, with the apps, sometimes setting it to custom then all settings to zero can be better. It's what suits you..

Showing out of stock for Samsung Store and Currys now. Was thinking of going for a Q90 but may settle for a Q85 if no stock comes in before black Friday.
I think I've seen you @cuke2u around a "motoring forum" I'm registered on there as DaveW. Small world! 🖐
Indeed it is, good to see a fellow Audi owner :)

Showing out of stock for Samsung Store and Currys now. Was thinking of going for a Q90 but may settle for a Q85 if no stock comes in before black Friday.
I think I've seen you @cuke2u around a "motoring forum" I'm registered on there as DaveW. Small world! 🖐
Try Hughes Electrical. The Q85 has significantly less dimming zones. 98 zones believe. Q90R has 480 on the 65 and 75 inch and 240 on the 55 inch.

Dbs rang me today and informed me that Samsung have agreed to replace the TV so that will be in touch, more waiting but at least they're going to change it
Got a phone call off samsung with an uplift number for a replacement or refund on my 65q90r, rang richer sounds and am upgrading to the 75 q90r for no extra money so a result

Disgusted. Just hung my Q90R, and after a careful set up, the sound drops every 10-15 seconds during all things streaming, including Netflix, Prime, and the Apple TV App. Audio is fine with blu ray and Directv. Did a firm ware update. Everything going through the new Onkyo receiver (840). Can anyone PLEASE provide me with any tips?

Sound from the amp or the tv speaker itself?

What's New😉
Just found this link, it's in german, and it gives the following with google traduction:
Update Verion 1335.0 - November 2019
- An error has been fixed that could lead to freezing while zapping.
- An error in interaction with SKY Q (flickering) has been fixed.
- The automatic HDMI detection has been improved.
- An error that could lead to picture dropouts has been fixed.

Just found this link, it's in german, and it gives the following with google traduction:
Update Verion 1335.0 - November 2019
- An error has been fixed that could lead to freezing while zapping.
- An error in interaction with SKY Q (flickering) has been fixed.
- The automatic HDMI detection has been improved.
- An error that could lead to picture dropouts has been fixed.

I wonder why they never publish this in the UK...

After I installed the updated firmware my picture mode had changed from standard to movie..

Sound from the amp or the tv speaker itself?

So I have a brand new Onkyo 840 receiver that everything is running through. When watching TV from my BluRay or Directv, everything works fine. Including streaming from the Blu ray player. However anytime I use ANY of the Samsung apps, the sound cuts out every 10-15 seconds. This TV cost me a freaking fortune. Not happy at all. Not one bit. The work around from doing research seems to be to either stream from my Sony 4KBlu ray player or hook up Apple TV directly through the receiver and streaming that way.

Have you swapped hdmi cables around just to eliminate that?
Does seem strange though

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom