Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Samsung no gap for 70 quid, it was listed as used but the only thing used about it was the box had been opened. Everything else was still sealed in bags.

Keep an eye on ebay

One thing I have noticed in my short time with this TV is Local Dimming seems a little more aggresive than my KS8000, on video content and gaming this is no issue, it's just loading screens and GUI's, one area that it really shows is on XBOX One, if you go to games and apps, then updates, whilst the circle is spinning whilst checking for updates, there's a wave of grey goes back and forth in time with the spinning circle, this is a darker grey on a grey background (dark theme). Does this happen with anyone else? Local Dimming is set to standard, and it's 4K SDR. If someone can check this is normal I would be super grateful and you will earn a virtual cookie.
This is normal

Anyone use safety straps and have any recommendations...?

Anyone here from the U.K have the new firmware yet? Usually it doesn’t take this long for a roll out and someone stated they had it a few days back

I have just ordered the 55" q90r today. Can anyone recommend a good wall mount (preferably tilting but flat would probably be fine)? I can't justify the cost of the Samsung no gap and am looking for something cheap and cheerful.

Also, are there any particular sites whose recommend calibration settings are considered best/ worthwhile using as a starting point?

Thanks
DD
I recently bought the Samsung alternative off amazon for £36 - does the job and I’m pleased but it isn’t no gap. Not sure how it compares to the Samsung one as I ain’t paying £129 for a wall mount!

This one - gone up a bit in price now

Maclean MC806 QLED TV No Gap Bracket Wall Mount Compatible With Samsung Q7 / Q8 / Q9 49"-65" to 50kg Ultra Slim(For Ultra Slim Screens) Amazon product ASIN B07NY34M7L

Cheers mate, I was actually looking at that exact one earlier. Does it seem sturdy enough?
From what I understand you're basically hooking the TV in place rather than a screwed fixing

Cheers mate, I was actually looking at that exact one earlier. Does it seem sturdy enough?
From what I understand you're basically hooking the TV in place rather than a screwed fixing
You screw the back plate to wall and then the part that moves to the tv then it just hooks on. I managed it on my own with a 55 but was a bugger to get off the wall when I had to make some adjustments - least I know it ain’t going anywhere now though!

It lets you tilt side to side as well so no chance of fitting it on the squiff

I purchased one myself, it's quality, exactly the same as the Samsung one, but for a fraction of the price, it's very sturdy, you attach the bracket to the TV, then use the hook to attach it to the bracket on the wall, can be tilted slightly if you like, or almost flat with no gap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200711-213950.jpg
    Screenshot_20200711-213950.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200705_134019.jpg
    IMG_20200705_134019.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 97
Just thought I'd mention, if your TV is a little sluggish this might help, isn't required to do often, a full power cycle will probably do the same thing but anyways, cache and clear background applications, to do this it's;

Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > TV Device Manager.

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_215154.jpg
    IMG_20200711_215154.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 101
You screw the back plate to wall and then the part that moves to the tv then it just hooks on. I managed it on my own with a 55 but was a bugger to get off the wall when I had to make some adjustments - least I know it ain’t going anywhere now though!
I purchased one myself, it's quality, exactly the same as the Samsung one, but for a fraction of the price, it's very sturdy, you attach the bracket to the TV, then use the hook to attach it to the bracket on the wall, can be tilted slightly if you like, or almost flat with no gap.

Cheers lads, I think I'll buy one. Need something to stop my 1 ur old from pulling the TV over

Cheers lads, I think I'll buy one. Need something to stop my 1 ur old from pulling the TV over
Not sure what you’re fixing to but I used these - probably a tad overkill for a 55 but tv is nice and secure

Corefix PLUS30 Heavy Duty Dot & Dab Wall Fixing for Flat Screen TVs, Wall Cabinets, Radiators & Boilers | 24 Trade Box Amazon product ASIN B07B3XKGBZ

Last edited:

I have a 4 year old and another on the way, wall mounting is the way to go, or straps like has been mentioned. Also contents insurance 😂

I have a 4 year old and another on the way, wall mounting if the way to go, or straps like has been mentioned. Also contents insurance 😂

In fairness, I had to buy this TV because my current TV got its screen smashed, nothing to do with any of the kids though, my wife launched her phone through it 🤷‍♂️

In fairness, I had to buy this TV because my current TV got its screen smashed, nothing to do with any of the kids though, my wife launched her phone through it 🤷‍♂️

Does she support Man U by any chance?

Nah she's not a fan of football - or of me evidently

Speaking of football though, it's the main thing I watch, how do you find this TV with motion/ football? And do you disable any of the motion features?

Speaking of football though, it's the main thing I watch, how do you find this TV with motion/ football? And do you disable any of the motion features?

Haha I know the feeling.

The same reason I purchased the TV, I leave the motion settings on auto. I find it fine, might need tweaking but I'm happy as is.

Disable them all mate, once they start doing their thing trying to make it smooth it can look pretty weird sometimes, even on lower settings, all the sites suggest having it all off.

Quick question for those in the know on Brightness setting in picture settings, I know it increases overall brightness of the picture, but have questions relating to my room layout.

On the KS8000 I used AVForums settings, which were absolutely brilliant, minus the backlight setting, I needed to raise it about 3 notches from the recommended, the reason for this is my TV is in front of my window in the living room, this is totally unavoidable and not ideal at all, but increased backlight made the TV Pop and image was fantastic. HDR was on Max (20) and SDR was on 8. I think AVF suggested a 5 or 6 Backlight.

Now on the Q90R I am loving the TV but there is a dark tint to everything, I actually still have the KS8000 and on a side by side the difference in brightness on my settings is uncanny. I'm not trying to get my Q90R to look like my KS8000, but I'm trying to replicate the overall brightness for my situation.

Q90R Main settings

SDR Movie Mode
Backlight 30
Contrast 40
Colour 25
Local Dimming Standard

HDR Movie Mode
Backlight 50
Contrast 45
Colour 25
Local Dimming High

Everything else is 0 more or less

Now if I increase the Brightness setting to say max which is 5, the image is pretty much a replica of my KS8000, in fact the Q90R Pops a little more and the image is much cleaner and overall better.

However many sites I have looked at have Brightness at 0 for both SDR and HDR. I could raise to 3 or 4 instead of 5 and it still looks amazing. I know every panel is different and settings are generally advised to put as what looks best to the owner, but I also like to try and keep some form of accurate image.

Are there any drawbacks to me raising the overall brightness setting to say 4 or max 5? I know the higher I go the more out of reference it gets, but if I like the image this way, is there any other drawback to raising this? Or is it literally just a preference? Will it send Local Dimming out of whack? Will it cripple input lag? etc etc, I have checked the whites with brightness on 5 and everything still looks white (no tints).

I want to raise to 4 or 5 but want to know what will I sacrifice doing so? Currently tested all sources with it at 4, and everything looks so good, so I am hoping it has no bad effects.

Using the current suggested settings of 0 brightness just makes thinks harder to view in my room setup, especially when the suns out. With brightness on 5 HDR still looks insane. If I do settle on a brightness of 4 or 5, should I change the contrast in anyways? Lower or Higher.

Quick question for those in the know on Brightness setting in picture settings, I know it increases overall brightness of the picture, but have questions relating to my room layout.

On the KS8000 I used AVForums settings, which were absolutely brilliant, minus the backlight setting, I needed to raise it about 3 notches from the recommended, the reason for this is my TV is in front of my window in the living room, this is totally unavoidable and not ideal at all, but increased backlight made the TV Pop and image was fantastic. HDR was on Max (20) and SDR was on 8. I think AVF suggested a 5 or 6 Backlight.

Now on the Q90R I am loving the TV but there is a dark tint to everything, I actually still have the KS8000 and on a side by side the difference in brightness on my settings is uncanny. I'm not trying to get my Q90R to look like my KS8000, but I'm trying to replicate the overall brightness for my situation.

Q90R Main settings

SDR Movie Mode
Backlight 30
Contrast 40
Colour 25
Local Dimming Standard

HDR Movie Mode
Backlight 50
Contrast 45
Colour 25
Local Dimming High

Everything else is 0 more or less

Now if I increase the Brightness setting to say max which is 5, the image is pretty much a replica of my KS8000, in fact the Q90R Pops a little more and the image is much cleaner and overall better.

However many sites I have looked at have Brightness at 0 for both SDR and HDR. I could raise to 3 or 4 instead of 5 and it still looks amazing. I know every panel is different and settings are generally advised to put as what looks best to the owner, but I also like to try and keep some form of accurate image.

Are there any drawbacks to me raising the overall brightness setting to say 4 or max 5? I know the higher I go the more out of reference it gets, but if I like the image this way, is there any other drawback to raising this? Or is it literally just a preference? Will it send Local Dimming out of whack? Will it cripple input lag? etc etc, I have checked the whites with brightness on 5 and everything still looks white (no tints).

I want to raise to 4 or 5 but want to know what will I sacrifice doing so? Currently tested all sources with it at 4, and everything looks so good, so I am hoping it has no bad effects.

Using the current suggested settings of 0 brightness just makes thinks harder to view in my room setup, especially when the suns out. With brightness on 5 HDR still looks insane. If I do settle on a brightness of 4 or 5, should I change the contrast in anyways? Lower or Higher.

Don't raise the brightness setting, instead activate contrast intensifier, either in low or High, depending on the light you have in the room.

Raising the brightness setting affects the entire range by washing the blacks, but not the contrast intensifier

I bought a QE75950R direct from Samsung for £3500 but discovered that it cannot display my photos at native 8K resolution so I have initiated a return & ordered a QE7590R from John Lewis for £2,700. The first suitable delivery slot wasn't for 2 weeks & now it should be arriving next Wednesday but I see that the price is now £2,499 but they have no stock. Does anyone know of somewhere that does have stock at £2,499 so I can get John Lewis to price match?
I changed my mind again as the price on the QE75Q950R just dropped £500. I've cancelled the QE75Q90R & ordered another QE75Q950R with 5 year warranty from John Lewis. It's a £500 saving on what the current set cost me from Samsung & only £200 more than the QE75Q90R. I'll be keeping this set for 10 years or more so for the extra £200 I may as well invest in the possibility of displaying my photos at 8K sometime in the future when the price of 8K graphics cards becomes more affordable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom