Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have paid 3 months ago 1700 swiss francs for 75''. Price exceptionnal with the shop Migros.
I am happy.
I hope the xbox will be ok with the 4k 120hz 420 on hdmi4. Maybe it will be better in 4k 60hz.

I hope too for the earc and a new OCB with full hdmi 2.1

Last edited:
So i when i first bought this tv, i saw the avforum review, i noted the eotf was slightly higher than it should be and knocked down the contrast as suggested to get it close to reference. All good there, so i seen this on rtings, it also shows the eotf out slightly in movie mode, it also shows the curve for game mode.

q90r-eotf-game-large.jpg

How would you fix this? Presumably if you lower contrast like in movie mode you are making darker areas darker while fixing the areas that get over brightened. Would you meet in the middle and set it to 48 contrast so its slightly brighter and slightly darker than reference? Or is it not that simple.

Finaly,yestrday i was able to buy Asus rtx TUF 3080 OC.
One month ago i buy 48gbps hdmi cable so last night i connect my pc to q90r.
Now i have option to play games in 4k/120hz/4:2:0/10bit/hdr

Finaly,yestrday i was able to buy Asus rtx TUF 3080 OC.
One month ago i buy 48gbps hdmi cable so last night i connect my pc to q90r.
Now i have option to play games in 4k/120hz/4:2:0/10bit/hdr
That’s great!
But what about VRR/Gsync? Does it work?

LOL i tried to put 12bit and now i cant enable deep colors on hdmi port 4,if i try i only get black screen......
Now i need to find solution for this sh.t

LOL i tried to put 12bit and now i cant enable deep colors on hdmi port 4,if i try i only get black screen......
Now i need to find solution for this sh.t

4k 120hz 12bits color? Tv does not support that

4k 120hz 12bits color? Tv does not support that
I just wanted to try it out...and now i have hell....i cant use deep colors on port 4

I just wanted to try it out...and now i have hell....i cant use deep colors on port 4

disconnect the cable and reconnect it, maybe it works, it did when the xbox didn't recognize the TV as 4k

disconnect the cable and reconnect it, maybe it works, it did when the xbox didn't recognize the TV as 4k
That was the first thing i tried,then reboot of tv and theen reinstal of gpu drivers.
Fixed now...kinda...but there is still some small issue that tv is changing picture mode by itself...dont know.

That was the first thing i tried,then reboot of tv and theen reinstal of gpu drivers.
Fixed now...kinda...but there is still some small issue that tv is changing picture mode by itself...dont know.

anyway a firmware update is likely to be needed for everything to work well, as the LGs have needed

From the moment i tried 12bit my setup is not behaving normally.
I tried soo many things....i dont know anymore is it Tv is it 3080
EDIT:
I removed 10bit from 4K/60hz so we will see.....

Last edited:
I also have Q90R and Founders Edition 3080 and when using on HDMI Port 4 it doesn't seem to play nice. What should be the maximum we are able to achieve using this setup in terms of resolution, refresh rate and bit depth and with or without HDR? and G-sync/FreeSync?

When I connect my PC to my OLED65C9PLA in the living room using the latest available 5.00.03 firmware from LG I am able to set 3840x2160 @ 120Hz at up to 12bit RGB, HDR and with FreeSync/G-Sync!

Also another thing I noticed, the available audio formats when using the LG are huge when compared to what's available when using the Samsung?

Is getting a 4k player which has hdr10+ support a big difference from using my xbox one s with hdr10?

Looking at this one but only if its worth the upgrade, after reading some stuff it does feel that Dolby Vision is becoming more and more popular while hdr10+ seems to be fading away.

Is getting a 4k player which has hdr10+ support a big difference from using my xbox one s with hdr10?

Looking at this one but only if its worth the upgrade, after reading some stuff it does feel that Dolby Vision is becoming more and more popular while hdr10+ seems to be fading away.

I also use the xbox one s as a player.
Did you correct the crushed blacks?

Because watching the same original movie in uhd on the xbox and a remux on the TV player, or plex, the difference in shadow detail is really big

I also use the xbox one s as a player.
Did you correct the crushed blacks?

Because watching the same original movie in uhd on the xbox and a remux on the TV player, or plex, the difference in shadow detail is really big
I have not noticed to be honest, it looks ok to me but it could be crushing. I seen a bit ago about confusion as to what to have black level set too on tv while using xbox, when i put it on auto it looks ok, when i change it to limited or full (csnt remember which one) the image goes really grey so i assume that is in correct so i just leave it at auto. On ps4 it is essier as you have options on the ps4 and tv but you can't change the black level on xbox

I also have Q90R and Founders Edition 3080 and when using on HDMI Port 4 it doesn't seem to play nice. What should be the maximum we are able to achieve using this setup in terms of resolution, refresh rate and bit depth and with or without HDR? and G-sync/FreeSync?

When I connect my PC to my OLED65C9PLA in the living room using the latest available 5.00.03 firmware from LG I am able to set 3840x2160 @ 120Hz at up to 12bit RGB, HDR and with FreeSync/G-Sync!

Also another thing I noticed, the available audio formats when using the LG are huge when compared to what's available when using the Samsung?

Unfortunately Q90R is not officially a hdmi 2.1 equipped TV whereas you OLED is. However Q90R Hdmi port 4 does go beyond hdmi 2.0b and according to emanual supports 3840x2160 @120hz 10bit but only if you select chroma 4:2:0 rather than RGB. If that works you could try 10bit chroma 4:2:2 but officially that's not supported. Let us know how you get on.

Unfortunately Q90R is not officially a hdmi 2.1 equipped TV whereas you OLED is. However Q90R Hdmi port 4 does go beyond hdmi 2.0b and according to emanual supports 3840x2160 @120hz 10bit but only if you select chroma 4:2:0 rather than RGB. If that works you could try 10bit chroma 4:2:2 but officially that's not supported. Let us know how you get on.

Just to add to this, I think the TV needs a firmware update to play nicely with 4K 120hz. The OLED's from LG required a update too.

Just to add to this, I think the TV needs a firmware update to play nicely with 4K 120hz. The OLED's from LG required a update too.

The LGs were having issues with VRR when paired up with 30xx series of gfx cards. Our TVs don't support VRR at 4k/120hz regardless of bit rate (max VRR is 60hz at 4k) so I don't believe a firmware issue will resolve that ☹️ who knows what fun and games we will get when Xbox series X and PS5 come out though. I guess I'll find out in two weeks when my Xbox turns up lol

There is no option for 4k/120/4:2:2 only 4:2:0.
I played yestrday Forza Horizon 4 in 4k/120fps all ultra with hdr....experience is fantastic BUT things with this kind of signal gets fast buged and i get no source signal black screen.
So thing is....it works but it needs to be improved by Samsung i think.

There is no option for 4k/120/4:2:2 only 4:2:0.
I played yestrday Forza Horizon 4 in 4k/120fps all ultra with hdr....experience is fantastic BUT things with this kind of signal gets fast buged and i get no source signal black screen.
So thing is....it works but it needs to be improved by Samsung i think.

What do the colours look like at 4:2:0? And is text really jaggy like some report at that bit rate?

Hopefully Samsung address the signal problem asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom