Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I currently own and use a 2014 58" 4k Panasonic but would really like to upgrade and have been eyeing the Q90R 65 for a while. It seems to be between this and the LG C9 that are the better options at the moment.

I use the tv mainly for xbox and F1 and I will be getting the Series X when it launches so want a capable set to go with it and also watching the F1 in HD/UHD.

Sounds like the Q950TS will be the telly to get when it comes out but unfortunately it also sounds mega expensive. Not very realistic.

Should I just go ahead and buy the Q90R? It may not have HDMI 2.1 but I'd assume that even with the next gen consoles it will still be one of the sets to beat and will look decent for another 5 years?

Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend looking back through this thread and keeping in mind that just as every 'best case' example you'll find people have posted, the negative images are equally as true. There are also some issues which can't be simply photographed unfortunately. For example one of the more frustrating things I've found with the Q90R is how the backlight local dimming gets confused and causes dark shadows to creep back and forth over a lot of shallow depth of field cinematic scenes - impossible to show without taking and uploading videos. It is possible you may not experience this as much with the 65" model however due to it having extra dimming zones compared to my 55".

Personally speaking, I've spent almost two months trying to get along with this TV now and I'm done. I'll most likely be moving to a C9 for what it's worth (thought I'd mention that simply because you mention the C9 as an option yourself). You get the full HDMI 2.1 and the price difference means that unless you've got a significant discount on the Samsung then the money saved immediately takes you over half way towards buying another new TV if necessary in a few years.

If you feel happy with your current TV however then I'd honestly hold on to see where the TV market is at in another year's time. It's what I'd have done if I already had a 4K TV. I'd personally like to see what Sony or one of the other long established brands could do with mini-LED. I think it's going to take a change of technology to see any meaningful differences beyond just an increase in screen size. I guess it depends how important the extra 7" in size would be for you and if you're happy with your current TV or not and so are willing to take the chance of switching manufacturer in the process.

Good luck whatever you choose.

What did you see with f1? The broadcast is pretty rubbish with picture breakup and loss of sound, I hope it isn't a sign of things to come with their coverage. However, when there were none of those issues the pq was second to none...

If you look back to the images I posted and look to the rumble strip on the left side of the screen you'll see that it has the same corruption as I've posted previously. It's not the break up that's common to on-board shots in F1, instead it's like every instance I've had of graphical corruption appearing on the Q90R. In movement it looks like flashes as the TV seems to struggle with displaying the alternating red and white rumble strip colours in much the same way I've caught the TV breaking up with blue strobing out of focus lights in the past. If the car you're on-board with slows down it stops doing it, but as soon as they hit a race level pace it's like the TV can't decide if it's meant to be displaying a white or red curb and so you get a combination of the red being greyed out and bits of red and white appearing randomly within the other section of curb.

If you look at the stills I posted you can see that the corruption of the picture isn't even displaying as blocks as is normal in F1 on-board picture break up. Instead they look like swirls of red or white. It's almost like a strobing paint splash effect. One which appears even with all picture processing turned off.

Hi all,

I currently own and use a 2014 58" 4k Panasonic but would really like to upgrade and have been eyeing the Q90R 65 for a while. It seems to be between this and the LG C9 that are the better options at the moment.

I use the tv mainly for xbox and F1 and I will be getting the Series X when it launches so want a capable set to go with it and also watching the F1 in HD/UHD.

Sounds like the Q950TS will be the telly to get when it comes out but unfortunately it also sounds mega expensive. Not very realistic.

Should I just go ahead and buy the Q90R? It may not have HDMI 2.1 but I'd assume that even with the next gen consoles it will still be one of the sets to beat and will look decent for another 5 years?

Thanks in advance.
Gaming + oled....you will be in danger of burn in if any game you play has red,yelow,orange icons in hud.
Btw if you guys go to rtings.com to check their burn in test take a look on user coments....they got burn in in same time period of 2 years as me.
If you wach ONLY movies you are good to go with oleds but like i wrote before i think i got also subtitle "line" burn in on B7.

So i dont know....we will se in 1-2y how is going for owners of 2018/19 series of oleds here on forum.

Power Off TV then press: Info + Settings + Mute + Power

By the way I tried a video at 4k 120 Hz HDR, the TV plays it, so if anyone doubted it, yes, it does 4k 120Hz with HDR

Can you explain a bit more? I thought HDMI4 Could only do 4:2:0 at 8-bit for 4k/120, which should mean no HDR.

Last edited:
I'd recommend looking back through this thread and keeping in mind that just as every 'best case' example you'll find people have posted, the negative images are equally as true. There are also some issues which can't be simply photographed unfortunately. For example one of the more frustrating things I've found with the Q90R is how the backlight local dimming gets confused and causes dark shadows to creep back and forth over a lot of shallow depth of field cinematic scenes - impossible to show without taking and uploading videos. It is possible you may not experience this as much with the 65" model however due to it having extra dimming zones compared to my 55".

Personally speaking, I've spent almost two months trying to get along with this TV now and I'm done. I'll most likely be moving to a C9 for what it's worth (thought I'd mention that simply because you mention the C9 as an option yourself). You get the full HDMI 2.1 and the price difference means that unless you've got a significant discount on the Samsung then the money saved immediately takes you over half way towards buying another new TV if necessary in a few years.

If you feel happy with your current TV however then I'd honestly hold on to see where the TV market is at in another year's time. It's what I'd have done if I already had a 4K TV. I'd personally like to see what Sony or one of the other long established brands could do with mini-LED. I think it's going to take a change of technology to see any meaningful differences beyond just an increase in screen size. I guess it depends how important the extra 7" in size would be for you and if you're happy with your current TV or not and so are willing to take the chance of switching manufacturer in the process.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Thanks for that :)

I can get the Q90R 65 for £1599 which is £400 less than the C9 at the moment. I would like to get a decent sound system for it too, as expensive as it is I'd probably go for something like the Q90 soundbar. Do games use Atmos these days?

Its difficult with new tellies isn't it cause you could just end up going round in circles and spend most of your time waiting to find the right set that never comes and you end up buying nothing.

Can you explain a bit more? I thought HDMI4 Could only do 4:2:0 at 8-bit for 4k/120, which should mean no HDR.

Well, a guy here with the unreal engine 4 made some videos at 120fps with and without HDR with the HVEC codec, in principle to test if they worked on his C9, and yes, he does, then I played it on the Q90r and they also work, and goes into HDR mode too.

But I didn't do it for HDMI, I did it for USB , I don't have anything that has HDMI 2.1 to prove it from there

Best you can do is switch game mode off mate. Local dimming is cut back in game mode to keep input lag down. To get local dimming working you need to switch game mode off and just deal with 70ms responses time. See my video here. Look at the white writing on the black background with game mode off, then game mode on. Game mode off has significantly less blooming.
HDTVTEST YouTube channel recently covered this also if you want to take a look.
If you want to see a better example of this then play PlayStation 4 game Days Gone. The Days Gone loading screen is plain black with a thin white loading line that travels across the screen towards a spinning ring. It shows off exactly what Vincent Teoh was talking about when he said the full array local dimming misfires when in game mode. The white loading line and the spinning ring not only bloom pretty badly you can also literally see the local dimming misfiring like crazy on it. Have you got Days Gone? I'd be very interested to see how your Panasonic dx902 handles that loading screen compared to your Samsung q90r if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks for that :)

I can get the Q90R 65 for £1599 which is £400 less than the C9 at the moment. I would like to get a decent sound system for it too, as expensive as it is I'd probably go for something like the Q90 soundbar. Do games use Atmos these days?

Its difficult with new tellies isn't it cause you could just end up going round in circles and spend most of your time waiting to find the right set that never comes and you end up buying nothing.
Bare in mind that Samsung's 2019 TVs and soundbars do not support earc. Samsung promised the update but never delivered on the promise. I only know of one game that uses Atmos at present and that's metro exodus. I'm sure there are a few more though. But most are 5.1 Dolby as usual. Not having earc on the q90r soundbar at that price is crazy and not future proofed.

Picked up my 65" Q90R a couple of days ago. Despite all of the discussion above I am happy with it so far.

I would like to get Atmos working over ARC though on the built in apps. I've seen demos and discussions of people getting atmos (lossy version) working from the Netflix app but I do not get the option. I've got ARC working and when I connect my receiver the TV reports a detected ATMOS receiver (Denon) is connected. I've enabled the atmos setting in on the TV but still not Atmos opton on Netlifx.

Anybody else got this working or hve any advice? It's not a huge deal but Sky Q Netflix doesn't do Atmos or HDR, my Nvidia Shield does HDR and not Atmos and my Xbox One X does Atmos but not over ARC. It would be nice to get it working on the built in app although I feel an Apple TV 4K may be the answer....

Picked up my 65" Q90R a couple of days ago. Despite all of the discussion above I am happy with it so far.

I would like to get Atmos working over ARC though on the built in apps. I've seen demos and discussions of people getting atmos (lossy version) working from the Netflix app but I do not get the option. I've got ARC working and when I connect my receiver the TV reports a detected ATMOS receiver (Denon) is connected. I've enabled the atmos setting in on the TV but still not Atmos opton on Netlifx.

Anybody else got this working or hve any advice? It's not a huge deal but Sky Q Netflix doesn't do Atmos or HDR, my Nvidia Shield does HDR and not Atmos and my Xbox One X does Atmos but not over ARC. It would be nice to get it working on the built in app although I feel an Apple TV 4K may be the answer....

Hi mate, this vid is in German but someone else managed to get Atmos from Netflix over arc by following it:-

With the shield you can also get Atmos from Netflix by using the kodi Netflix add-on

Cheers

Thanks for the reply. Can't get the youtube video to play, just get an error. I've heard about the kodi add-on before. I'll look into it. I only use the shield for Plex content at the moment.

Thanks for the reply. Can't get the youtube video to play, just get an error. I've heard about the kodi add-on before. I'll look into it. I only use the shield for Plex content at the moment.

Strange mate, seems to be working now

Either way the jist is, he launches Netflix, then goes into the tv audio settings and selects DD+ after which he turns on the Atmos compatibility setting, plays Atmos content in Netflix then brings up the soundtrack options and selects the Atmos one

Strange mate, seems to be working now

Either way the jist is, he launches Netflix, then goes into the tv audio settings and selects DD+ after which he turns on the Atmos compatibility setting, plays Atmos content in Netflix then brings up the soundtrack options and selects the Atmos one

Yeah video works fine now. Strange. - I'll give that a go later! Thanks!

Last edited:
Yestrday Amazon offered me 1 month free Prime so i tried a bit content in HDR10+.....
First i must say that this Prime app is horor,i cant even compare it to Netflix.
I wached alot of Netflix Dolby Vision content on B6 and B7 and i think in general DV for me looks better then this hdr10+ on Amazon except one Nature show about animals from bbc i think.
This show looks incredible on q90r,brightness,colors,details....such realistic picture....only better thing i saw was on the wall micro led.
This and GT Sports in HDR show what this TV can do when content is properly done.
Today is wery suny day and i play games in extremly bright living room and handling of reflections is really on another level,never before saw something like this....ususly always battling with windows curtains to damppen sun light.

More and more and more happy with this purchase and now i would not wona go back to oleds.

If you want to see a better example of this then play PlayStation 4 game Days Gone. The Days Gone loading screen is plain black with a thin white loading line that travels across the screen towards a spinning ring. It shows off exactly what Vincent Teoh was talking about when he said the full array local dimming misfires when in game mode. The white loading line and the spinning ring not only bloom pretty badly you can also literally see the local dimming misfiring like crazy on it. Have you got Days Gone? I'd be very interested to see how your Panasonic dx902 handles that loading screen compared to your Samsung q90r if it's not too much trouble.
I can yeah. I just fired up Days Gone on the Q90R and can see what you mean. That is pretty noticeable. The black levels on that loading screen are more like an edgelit TV than a full array local dimming one. On the Panasonic DX902 that screen is deep inky black with no local dimming problems at all. I'll try do you a quick video or some pics over the weekend if i can.

Bare in mind that Samsung's 2019 TVs and soundbars do not support earc. Samsung promised the update but never delivered on the promise. I only know of one game that uses Atmos at present and that's metro exodus. I'm sure there are a few more though. But most are 5.1 Dolby as usual. Not having earc on the q90r soundbar at that price is crazy and not future proofed.
Forza Horizon 4 uses Dolby Atmos as well just as long as you plug the Xbox directly into the soundbar. Sounds great on my Samsung Q70R soundbar. Bought the rear speakers to get 7.1 i think it is. Xbox One X lets me use 7.1 anyway. Metro Exodus sounds great as well. Really pleased with that soundbar. Really does need eArc though as these soundbars only have 1 to 2 HDMI ports. Mine only has one so i have to keep messing around flipping the soundbar over and swapping HDMI cables around. Adding eArc means i wouldn't need to do any of that. Samsung recently promised the eArc update again on Youtube. They've promised it 3 times before and not delivered it so i won't hold my breath. Someone started a petition against Samsung over it. Its got a surprisingly large number of signatures to it in a short amount of time. Anyone wanting the eArc update go over and sign the petition. Link here:Sign the Petition

Last edited by a moderator:
List of Xbox atmos games here

In case anyone isn’t sure, once atmos is enabled on the Xbox all audio is output as atmos, for none atmos content the overhead channels are empty. Downside to this approach is certain kit (such as Samsung soundbars) will not upmix as it believes that it’s receiving a full native atmos signal

Another annoying thing with the 2019 models is that you Need to make a decision on whether to sacrifice atmos audio or VRR. Most AVRs cannot pass VRR, and both the TV and avr needs to support EARC to get atmos due to the Xbox using Dolby MAT

Who wona fast and easy checkif is Dolby Atmos working....just fire up Netflix and if you have DV or DA logos available on show/movie description that means you are good to go.
At least its like this if i remembered corectly.

Hi all,

I have the 55" version of the Q90R tv and the Q90R soundbar. Apart from the eARC update that we are all waiting for, my big issue with the TV is the dimming of white letters/objects against a black background (such as credits for example). I also notice that sometimes then on-screen information such as volume levels or the channel information when changing channels with the remote (P+, P-) also tend to dim when they first appear, only to go brighter a bit later.

Do others with the 55" versions have this issue? Is it a "feature" or is there something wrong with mine?

I wish I could go for the 65" which has more dimming zones, but I simply don't have the space for it.

Forza Horizon 4 uses Dolby Atmos as well just as long as you plug the Xbox directly into the soundbar. Sounds great on my Samsung Q70R soundbar. Bought the rear speakers to get 7.1 i think it is. Xbox One X lets me use 7.1 anyway. Metro Exodus sounds great as well. Really pleased with that soundbar. Really does need eArc though as these soundbars only have 1 to 2 HDMI ports. Mine only has one so i have to keep messing around flipping the soundbar over and swapping HDMI cables around. Adding eArc means i wouldn't need to do any of that. Samsung recently promised the eArc update again on Youtube. They've promised it 3 times before and not delivered it so i won't hold my breath. Someone started a petition against Samsung over it. Its got a surprisingly large number of signatures to it in a short amount of time. Anyone wanting the eArc update go over and sign the petition. Link here:Sign the Petition

Thanks, I just signed the petition.

I can yeah. I just fired up Days Gone on the Q90R and can see what you mean. That is pretty noticeable. The black levels on that loading screen are more like an edgelit TV than a full array local dimming one. On the Panasonic DX902 that screen is deep inky black with no local dimming problems at all. I'll try do you a quick video or some pics over the weekend if i can.

It is a known problem, at least I knew it and I remember seeing it on some known channel, when they passed a test of local diming to the Q90r in game mode, he himself showed his strangeness for it, but I do not remember the name now.

It is a bug of the local dimming in game mode, if there is a horizontal line that runs through the panel from side to side or for the most part without anything else, or nothing more important, on black background, the lights of the entire panel were activated, and therefore a blooming appears throughout the screen, but it only happens in those circumstances.

I will see if I find the video, but anyone can cause that failure simply with a black image and a horizontal white line from side to side

But it is an exception, not the norm, it is not what happens in 99.99999% of the time.

And here is when in my opinion your personal contribution comes, when trying to pass that fault as normal, and not as the exception that is.

In Germany there is still old firmware.

Today i started up Death Stranding on Ps Pro,looks spectacular in HDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom