Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both seem pretty even after looking at it so why they say the q90t is the better overall tv. What points do they make to say this, is it the wider viewing angles? Earc? Or is it because they now try to follow the industry standard etc. It looks like the contrast and sdr/hdr peak brightness levels are higher on the Q90r also. I've not looked at it but I'm guessing the colour coverage is more on the Q90T?

Just checked the colour and appears the Q90R covers a bit more dci p3 coverage.

Most of the things that I want out of a TV the 90R had better scores so that's good to me. The black tests were more black and with less blooming.

eARC and the potential for 4K 120 4:4:4 on the 90T is great for future proofing but overall I think they are both great but if movies are what you want the 90R has the nod.

Need more reviews but anyone that wants either TV they are good in their own ways which is promising both ways.

Fingers crossed Samsung comes up with the eARC update and then the 90R is a truly great allrounder.

RTINGS review of the 90T for those that might be thinking about either TV.

As i suspected less blooming at the cost of greyer blacks

And DSE and clouding... Does not sound great if I am being honest

Also no mention of inverse ghosting in vrr mode, or game mode performance

As i suspected less blooming at the cost of greyer blacks

And DSE and clouding... Does not sound great if I am being honest
Honestly the Q90R does not have blooming at all compared to other sets I have owned, like the recent XG95 I returned.

Honestly the Q90R does not have blooming at all compared to other sets I have owned, like the recent XG95 I returned.
There is some slight blooming if you look for it, or in very specific circumstances, like subtitles etc but its not much of an issue for me. 99% of the time there is no visible blooming

Its insane what Samsung did with only 100+ zones.....
Imagine what could they do with mini led and thousends od zones.....

Is anyone going to get the new Sonos Arc next month to go with this TV? I don’t know if I should get that or the Q90 soundbar?

Any news on the eARC update for Q90r tv? I m getting the Sonos arc soundbar 😱
Only news is it is coming but when it happens is another thing, even though they have re-confirmed that the update will happen . . . . I am not holding my breath.

Only news is it is coming but when it happens is another thing, even though they have re-confirmed that the update will happen . . . . I am not holding my breath.

does the tv currently decode atmos before sending it through arc (Dolby digital plus) for built in Netflix app? So at least Sonos will be able to play that?

When i watch Amazon Prime programs that are in Atmos my av receiver shows Atmos/DD+ which sounds a lot better than just DD+ i currently get on Disney+ due to the limitations in bandwidth

does the tv currently decode atmos before sending it through arc (Dolby digital plus) for built in Netflix app? So at least Sonos will be able to play that?
My understanding is that Netflix transmit Atmos in DDplus format, so transcoding should not be needed to send it out on ARC.

My understanding is that Netflix transmit Atmos in DDplus format, so transcoding should not be needed to send it out on ARC.

ok great then Sonos should sound Awesome hopefully lol

Interestingly RTINGS have modified their comparison of the 90R and 90T now in their summary, removing the view the 90T was better. I suspect that is a fair comparison as both have their strengths.

The Samsung Q90T QLED and the Samsung Q90/Q90R QLED have similar performance overall. The Q90T is the Q90R's replacement in name only, as it doesn't have the One Connect Box and its feature set is closer to the Q80R. The Q90T has better viewing angles due to the new implementation of the 'Ultra Viewing Angle' layer, and it has a lower input lag. The Q90T gains eARC support, but its black uniformity is noticeably worse compared to the Q90R.

Interestingly RTINGS have modified their comparison of the 90R and 90T now in their summary, removing the view the 90T was better. I suspect that is a fair comparison as both have their strengths.

The Samsung Q90T QLED and the Samsung Q90/Q90R QLED have similar performance overall. The Q90T is the Q90R's replacement in name only, as it doesn't have the One Connect Box and its feature set is closer to the Q80R. The Q90T has better viewing angles due to the new implementation of the 'Ultra Viewing Angle' layer, and it has a lower input lag. The Q90T gains eARC support, but its black uniformity is noticeably worse compared to the Q90R.
That seems a lot better worded now, i was a bit baffled why they said it was a overall better tv with the scores they gave for both tvs and the negatives and positives points etc

That seems a lot better worded now, i was a bit baffled why they said it was a overall better tv with the scores they gave for both tvs and the negatives and positives points etc
Yes more in-line with Lord Vincent Teohs assesment / explanation of the 2020 line-up. Anyone who is considering the Q90R, I would get it before stock runs out. Blown away by the TV and even the wife things it's a big improvement.

"but its black uniformity is noticeably worse compared to the Q90R."

Q90r ftw.

"but its black uniformity is noticeably worse compared to the Q90R."

Q90r ftw.
This is result of 100+ zones.But in any case fantastic tv....

This is result of 100+ zones.But in any case fantastic tv....
Ive not seen one so can't really say how good it is, sounds decent going off the reviews but the 2 main points for me are deeper blacks and brighter peak brightness on the Q90R so im glad i got this instead of waiting for the 2020 lineup.

Does anyone know how the Q90T behaves in game mode? Does it reduce the local dimming like the Q90R does? Or does the elevated blacks reduce that issue?

As is always the case my TV purchases go in cycles and I'm hovering on the 55" Q90R after a good few years with a 50" Panasonic plasma.

And I'm sure this is going to be a question posed a billion times before - but with all equipment going into a receiver first (Marantz NR1510), is that going to play nice with the connect box as it's almost like using two receivers?!

The connect box isn't really any more separate than the internals on any other TV. If it was built in it would have all the same connections. There's no way to plug something directly into the TV so it's not like it's optional. The receiver shouldn't have any problems.

It's often the case that the simplest explanations are the best, isn't it? :D I appreciate the response - it's amazing what being out of the TV-buying game for 4-5 years does to you... "a separate box, what is this sorcery and how does it WORK?".

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom