Samsung Q90T thread

Will be interesting to read your comparison review giving the pro’s and con’s of each tv.

I have a 12 year old 52 inch Sony LCD..so I’m planning to upgrade just after Christmas.
My short list is a wall mounted Samsung Q95T or wall mounted LG GX.

I have quite a large 14 foot long wall and will be sat 11 foot away....
so still not sure whether to go from 52 inch to 65 inch or to a 75 inch.

The reason I have gone from LG to Samsung is I have been very unlucky with LG.

Ive had two replacements from LG, first fault was screen burn(watching too much news), second was dead pixels and now this one has the 25% window issue which LG won’t fix after months of chasing.

All my other TVs in the house are Samsung and have never had a problem. I will do a comparison C7 vs Q90T next week once I’ve had chance to play. It arrives tomorrow.

Will be interesting to read your comparison review giving the pro’s and con’s of each tv.

I have a 12 year old 52 inch Sony LCD..so I’m planning to upgrade just after Christmas.
My short list is a wall mounted Samsung Q95T or wall mounted LG GX.

I have quite a large 14 foot long wall and will be sat 11 foot away....
so still not sure whether to go from 52 inch to 65 inch or to a 75 inch.

let s try a pro and con

OLED
+ absolute black
+ better HDR color space
+ no blooming
+ no dse (did not see on mine)
+ very good game latency
+ thinner, low weight
+ best for cinema in night env.
+ true 10bit
+ wide angle with no loss
+ great default calibration
- bad black gradient (near black show blocks)
- cannot sustain white (Abl; forget winter sport watching)
- limited nit for bright daylight env
- limited HDR , only great in dim or night env.
- subtitles not dimmed , blinding the watcher in HDR
- linear led degradation 5% per year , burn in
- not adapted at all for long game or tv news sessions.
- reflexive glass panel

QLED
+ nit POWER master , can be used either in bright day or in full night
+ impressive sustained whites, snow is not grey but so white :)
+ beautiful and delicate near black gradient , much better than oled
+ Best HDR display for cinema and games
+ great game latency , but ghosting problems when flirting with the limit.
+ no degradation / burnin ,you can leave it all day on tv news or game
+ great ambiant light diffusion, lest prone to reflexions
+ Black is really near true black (Q90/95t)
+ very efficient dimmed subtitles ; so great for HDR cinema
+ HDR 10+
+ serious candidate for modern cinema lovers , with great accuray in SDR , and impressive HDR
- not absolute black, but very close
- blooming still visible on some scenes and on PC flat colors surfaces
- some panels may show DSE, mine not
- awful default settings , uncalibrated; but can be calibrated to near perfection display.
- loads ads whithout consent every few minutes , adsl pertubations observed when homeworking or streaming
- too few modes and 2 modes unusable with locked parameters (natural and dynamic)
- no dolbyvision
-narrow angle of vision , then loss of color accuracy and gamma
- bad HDR color space (on this model ) , lack the ability to go high in the greens
- 8bit + FRC , not easy to see the difference but you may see lack of smoothness in monochrome gradient (sunsets etc)
- massive and not thin at all
did i missed something

oh yes, choose your poison !

And apparently it fixed the dimming issue among others.... and added a new feature in External device manager, HGIG was added, supposedly it optimizes PQ in game mode. Pretty awesome if true!
Anyone know of it will fix the stuttering bug on some content? There’s a lengthy thread on here about it as causing lots of people including myself problems where we can’t watch certain programs or sports without horrendous stuttering.

it seems the new firmware is not yet available in the U.K.

The reason I have gone from LG to Samsung is I have been very unlucky with LG.

Ive had two replacements from LG, first fault was screen burn(watching too much news), second was dead pixels and now this one has the 25% window issue which LG won’t fix after months of chasing.

All my other TVs in the house are Samsung and have never had a problem. I will do a comparison C7 vs Q90T next week once I’ve had chance to play. It arrives tomorrow.
Guess it’s luck of the draw. I have the q90t and it has about 8 dead pixels if you look closely at it (doesn’t affect viewing from normal viewing distance though).
I saw an online article where there is a certain amount of bright or dead pixels that’s deemed acceptable and Samsung even state in the tv manual that the tv may have bright or dark spots due to the complexity of manufacturing(can’t remember the exact sentence now).

65 inch Q90T arrived today! Wow it’s bright(compared to C7)! Done an initial Screen uniformity test and I’d say it 90% perfect, will do another test after a couple of days and give a more detailed report.

65 inch Q90T arrived today! Wow it’s bright(compared to C7)! Done an initial Screen uniformity test and I’d say it 90% perfect, will do another test after a couple of days and give a more detailed report.
fot me blooming and uniformity are the 2 problems of the local dimming technology. with flat color surfaces this is visible . But in real cinema condition, we don't see it.

I can't seem to get over the DSE with this TV.

It's perfect in most cases but for games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the skybox looks awful.

Can't decide whether to return. Don't want to think it'll be fine then get two months down the road with a TV that only produces a high quality display 90% of the time. What's the point in bright HDR whites and Grey's if they are 'stamped' with DSE?

I bought a 65" version last week to replace a Sony OLED AF8 which was driving me mad due to its ABL - the algorithm which dims the picture when detecting static content.

Whilst much brighter and no risk of burn in, I found the Q90T as a much inferior experience - visually.

Netflix / Prime content looked decent (but not better than the OLED), but it was the PS4 and "standard TV" output such as SKY, BBC, etc., which looked desperately inferior. I tried to tinker with settings, but simply couldn't find anything which worked. The gaming experience was also underwhelming. Good input lag times, but very rugged and oversaturated visuals.

On top of that my panel displayed obvious signs of DSE and it also suffered from the judder / stutter which other users have reported. It was an easy decision to take it back.

Richer Sounds were extremely useful and I got it replaced with an LG CX OLED, which arrived yesterday and is vastly superior in absolutely every department. Most visual presets work out of the box (Dynamic being the only one which is unusable) and I have done no tweaking of settings whatsoever. Football looks amazing on Sky and both PES and FIFA look stunning on the PS4 in Game mode. It lacks DTS, but it's no biggy to me as I rarely watch Blu Rays.

I have no allegiance to brand or technology but to me there is not even a comparison. Yes, I paid £300 more for the LG OLED (on top of the £2K for the Q90T), but it's the best £300 I've ever spent, plus I got a nice pair of free LG blutooth earbuds - both John Lewis and Richer Sounds currently offer this deal.

I have no doubt the Q90T will be a great TV for many, but for me it was simply not. Glad I tried the QLED technology though as I always wondered whether it was comparable to OLED.

One thing I will miss is the Samsung smart remote control (which comes alongside the standard remote) - which is a really well though and an elegant piece of equipment and worked beautifully with my BT box. I wish LG offered the same.

Last edited:
I understand your disappointement , but this is because samsung is delivering their tv with absolute nonsense settings, while now LG sony panasonic deliver calibrated ones. When you talk about oversaturation , this means that you let the tv in the defaut native colour space, which is not usable, but when you don't know it , you think that "native" mode is right. moreover the tv is difficult to calibrate when you don't have the keys to converge to an acceptable setting. With all this mess , they finally published a filmmaker mode which is quite correct ; too much bright for night viewing, but with the right setting for colour space (auto) , at last, Intelligent mode must be off also. set it to warm2 , and you have still to add red to reach the 6500K. Cf my calibrated settings.

So for tuning junkies like me , this is not a problem , and once calibrated this tv set is a real gem, but for people who want just to switch on their tv and enjoy it , this is simply not acceptable to sell the tv with such defaut settings. I still don't understand them. For me they are stuck with old school internal hierarchy constraints, where you say yes to the bosss even if he s wrong, which is unfortunatly a cultural problem.

So that s why i worked a lot to understand the tv settings and share my calibration results with everyone , so that we can enjoy our invested money.

Last edited:
I understand your disappointement , but this is because samsung is delivering their tv with absolute nonsense settings, while now LG sony panasonic deliver calibrated ones. When you talk about oversaturation , this means that you let the tv in the defaut native colour space, which is not usable, but when you don't know it , you think that "native" mode is right. moreover the tv is difficult to calibrate when you don't have the keys to converge to an acceptable setting. With all this mess , they finally published a filmmaker mode which is quite correct ; too much bright for night viewing, but with the right setting for colour space (auto) , at last, Intelligent mode must be off also. set it to warm2 , and you have still to add red to reach the 6500K. Cf my calibrated settings.

So for tuning junkies like me , this is not a problem , and once calibrated this tv set is a real gem, but for people who want just to switch on their tv and enjoy it , this is simply not acceptable to sell the tv with such defaut settings. I still don't understand them. For me they are stuck with old school internal hierarchy constraints, where you say yes to the bosss even if he s wrong, which is unfortunatly a cultural problem.

So that s why i worked a lot to understand the tv settings and share my calibration results with everyone , so that we can enjoy our invested money.

Thanks for this. That will be useful when I get my replacement Q95T, hopefully by the end of the month. However I am seriously considering cancelling it and wait for a good deal on the Sony XH95, as all the reports of DSE issues on the Samsung are disconcerting. My first one was a complete disaster.

Hi All, apologies for not getting back sooner, I’ve been contemplating......

Im seriously thinking of sending the Q90 back and replacing it with and LG CX, on comparing the C7 with the Q90 I feel the detail is way better and the colours just pop out at you more on the LG C7, I also have a small amount of DSE on the left and right edges which is mostly seen on brighter/lighter backgrounds(although this is far from the worst I’ve seen and is bearable). I have used some custom settings to improve picture and it’s made a tremendous difference for the better. I just wonder if I’m going to see a difference between the C7 and Q90 more because the C7 is 10 inches smaller than the Q90?

In general I’m happy with the Q90 but going from my C7 OLED I really feel that I’m missing something with the Q90T. :(

Oled image quality is still ahead, since there is no blooming at all and pure black, even if samsung Q90T black is near perfection. But oled is not able to sustain white scenes and is not adapted for heavy tv/game sessions nor bright light rooms. So if you are mainly watching cinema in dim environment , go for oled !! otherwise...

Last edited:
Right All, I made the call today and I choose to return the Q90T! It gets picked up on Saturday, I’ve asked for a refund for now.

I took a trip to my local Curry’s and they have a 75 inch Q90R X Display model going for £1799, it looked a lot better than mine (DSE), although I could still see that fade on the outer edge of the screen. I must admit, I was tempted by this model as it is so cheap, when speaking with the guy in store he suggested I would be better going with the smaller 65 inch LG CX (quality rather that quantity), what do you think?

Hi , we just got the 1402 firmware in Europe , so im working on my calibrated settings to see if things changed.

so now we have HGIG mode for hdr gaming, to be tested.

i noticed slightly more blue in dark tones, i m wondering why since i have to correct more, maybe to be coherent with their color temp setting which is not 6500K in warm2 but slightly more.
And they worked also on the saturation ramps for dark environnement. i need to do less corrections, which mean more accurate default settings.
i did notice more blooming on text/titles in black background but this is maybe expected , since they removed the dimming on that cases to prevent annoying luminosity fading. I have to play with local dimming setting (low/standard/high) to see if they keep the local dimming on low or high , which would be nice for people that prefer less blooming.

i will publish the new calibration settings today so that they match more closely with alterations done in firmware 1402. Previous ones are still working ,gamma ramps are untouched, but less precise in saturations ramps if you are already in 1402.

I have a new 65” Q90T and the brightness setting is not working. Everything else is adjustable but the brightness from 0 to 50 gives the exactly same picture. It’s not bad but I would like to be a little lower. Is there anyone else that have similar issue? Screen brightness is stuck at a specific level.
I found out that brightness setting is actually the backlight setting for the 2020 models. So the backlight setting doesn’t work. I can’t say for sure if it is stuck at maximum level but definitely is to bright.

Have you got Eco Solution on? There is a setting in there for ambient light detection and energy saving mode. These could affect the brightness (Back-light) issue you're having. I have Eco mode turned off and adjusting the back light does work.

Have you got Eco Solution on? There is a setting in there for ambient light detection and energy saving mode. These could affect the brightness (Back-light) issue you're having. I have Eco mode turned off and adjusting the back light does work.
Both of them are set to off. Nothing is able to dim the backlight led. in a dark room you can’t watch a bright scene. I have already updated to the latest firmware version and I‘ve also made a factory reset. I hope that is not a hardware malfunction

Both of them are set to off. Nothing is able to dim the backlight led. in a dark room you can’t watch a bright scene. I have already updated to the latest firmware version and I‘ve also made a factory reset. I hope that is not a hardware malfunction
Hi,

do you have intelligent mode on ? if yes disable it , it s not intelligent. but you should see big variations when playing with brightness., are you in cinema mode ? what signal do you send ? stick to 1080p yuv444 50Hz (not 60Hz) to check , even it it should not block . for night viewing you should expect to be confortable with lum/contrast setting e 10/40 or 15/27 (100 nits)

Last edited:
Hi,

do you have intelligent mode on ? if yes disable it , it s not intelligent. but you should see big variations when playing with brightness., are you in cinema mode ? what signal do you send ? stick to 1080p yuv444 50Hz (not 60Hz) to check , even it it should not block . for night viewing you should expect to be confortable with lum/contrast setting e 10/40 or 15/27 (100 nits)
The intelligent mode is disabled. Unfortunately non of these settings cause the issue. And brightness is blocked with any kind of signal.

I've connected my PC to my 55" 95T. I want to have 1:1 pixelmapping, but I can only chose the standard 16:9 mode. The rest of the options are greyed out. The source is already named "PC", so what are my options?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom