Samsung Q90T thread

Does the Q95T have a hdmi 2.1 port ? I am reading up on this and cannot seem to find out. I am planning on buying the new xbox and ps5 so having only 1 hdmi 2.1 ports will be a bit of a bummer..
Yes, it has one hdmi 2.1 port

I have my 95T for a week now and I'm loving the picture quality. The only thing that's slightly bothering me is that the reds are a bit too saturated.

Where do I go to dial back the bright reds? I looked into the service menu already, but it's a bit too overwhelming for me and I cannot find a lot of information about what does what in the service menu. Any tips?

Does the Q95T have a hdmi 2.1 port ? I am reading up on this and cannot seem to find out. I am planning on buying the new xbox and ps5 so having only 1 hdmi 2.1 ports will be a bit of a bummer..

Yes it does. HDMI port 4. It is only one port that is hdmi 2.1

I have my 95T for a week now and I'm loving the picture quality. The only thing that's slightly bothering me is that the reds are a bit too saturated.

Where do I go to dial back the bright reds? I looked into the service menu already, but it's a bit too overwhelming for me and I cannot find a lot of information about what does what in the service menu. Any tips?
Hi, I am sorry I have no answer for you, but more questions! :)

How do you enter the service menu on a Q90T/Q95T?
Doesn't that void your warranty?
Couldn't that harm the tv if you mess up the service menu settings?

I have purple ghosting problems with my Q90T and wanted to try changing the response time settings, but I'm not sure if I should go messing up in the service menu...

i agree also , if sport is priority , sony !
about local dimming , samsung has "corrected" the problem with the firmware. now you can choose between blooming and image pumping, given the local dimming setting. local dimming to low will not trigger dimming, but you have to accept more blooming.
Hi there,

I'm not sure I understand your post.

When I play on SDR Game Mode, the local dimming is terrible. I have to put it to low and brightness to 23 to have something playable, but then I miss out on some color brightness.

Could you expand on the difference between blooming and dimming?

this is a classic, when you let your tv in native colour space.

first : in the setting:
intelligent mode off
don't use dynamic or natural mode
choose cinema/filmmaker mode:
colour space : auto
then it depends on your brightness setting:
you must lower saturation if brightness is too high
if you have a brightness at 30 and above, set saturation around 16-18,
if you have a brightness at 15-20 , saturation should be ok by default at 25... if you have the latest firmware, otherwise you have to lower saturation to 20-23.

for more details you can try my calibrated setting published above.

and come back to tell us if it improves

there is also a way to lower saturation by colour , this is the customised colour space. example to remove too much red : set RED to RED 50 GREEN 35 BLUE 35. but first try to just lower the saturation using the space colour auto, it should be ok.

I have purple ghosting problems with my Q90T and wanted to try changing the response time settings, but I'm not sure if I should go messing up in the service menu...
the only way i know to remove ghosting in game mode is to activate the GMP ; game motion plus.

Hi there,

I'm not sure I understand your post.

When I play on SDR Game Mode, the local dimming is terrible. I have to put it to low and brightness to 23 to have something playable, but then I miss out on some color brightness.

Could you expand on the difference between blooming and dimming?

i think that you are talking about lack of contrast in gaming mode; not dimming.

the dimming/blooming is triggered when locally you have too much contrast: example a white text over black background . Due to the technology , this will create a halo of white around the text : this is blooming.
so to prevent too much blooming , the tv darken the white text : this is dimming. too much dimming will be visible , your tv wil show some pumping: the white text becomes... grey.

so now about game mode , i think your complaint is more about the lack of contrast: push the game enhanced contrast to 5. and try high brightness settings , like bright/contrast 30/50. or more.

if it is still greyish , there is also another parameter in game mode, because maybe you are in rgb and the tv is not set to auto to detect full range rgb : the parameter is in the general menu -> extern peripheral , black level hdmi. it should be to auto , but you can force it to test (only if you are in rgb).

Just do not do it!

Anyone had experience with Samsung performing a repair on a screen with noticeable DSE? (Almost a grid pattern)

the only way i know to remove ghosting in game mode is to activate the GMP ; game motion plus.
The problem is that the ghosting is not present in Game Mode with GMP off (went away after 1304) but in every other modes... even Game Mode with GMP On.

i think that you are talking about lack of contrast in gaming mode; not dimming.

the dimming/blooming is triggered when locally you have too much contrast: example a white text over black background . Due to the technology , this will create a halo of white around the text : this is blooming.
so to prevent too much blooming , the tv darken the white text : this is dimming. too much dimming will be visible , your tv wil show some pumping: the white text becomes... grey.

so now about game mode , i think your complaint is more about the lack of contrast: push the game enhanced contrast to 5. and try high brightness settings , like bright/contrast 30/50. or more.

if it is still greyish , there is also another parameter in game mode, because maybe you are in rgb and the tv is not set to auto to detect full range rgb : the parameter is in the general menu -> extern peripheral , black level hdmi. it should be to auto , but you can force it to test (only if you are in rgb).
Maybe I am missing some technical jargon, but what I've always understood from local dimming was that the tv limited the brightness of the screen around a bright object on a dark background by turning off LEDs, keeping the screen as black as possible. When well done, it results in a limited blooming around bright objects, with deep blacks on the rest of the screen.

My problem is that my tv doesn't do that on Game Mode, it lets the screen brighten up when a bright object comes up.

To see what I mean, you can take a look at my thread on Samsung EU Community forum :
Re: Q95T/Q90T : Local Dimming not functional in Game Mode

this is a classic, when you let your tv in native colour space.

first : in the setting:
intelligent mode off
don't use dynamic or natural mode
choose cinema/filmmaker mode:
colour space : auto
then it depends on your brightness setting:
you must lower saturation if brightness is too high
if you have a brightness at 30 and above, set saturation around 16-18,
if you have a brightness at 15-20 , saturation should be ok by default at 25... if you have the latest firmware, otherwise you have to lower saturation to 20-23.

for more details you can try my calibrated setting published above.

and come back to tell us if it improves
That's it. Perfect. The only thing is, for my PC, I can only choose dynamic or natural and I don't have any colour space settings. I know I can rename the PC source to something else, but gives a lot of other issues.

That's it. Perfect. The only thing is, for my PC, I can only choose dynamic or natural and I don't have any colour space settings. I know I can rename the PC source to something else, but gives a lot of other issues.

i will give you a secret lol : change your pc setting to yuv422 and ... 50Hz, and voila ! you have all modes back and you can tune the tv in cinema or filmmaker mode. careful on the resolution , keep 1080p or 2160p (native) , 1440p is not supported ,( well it is but in the degraded mode you have currently).

Anyone had experience with Samsung performing a repair on a screen with noticeable DSE? (Almost a grid pattern)

Mine had a terrible grid pattern, but it was not repaired. Samsung took it back as dead on arrival.

Last edited:
Hi All, just wanted to update you on the experience I had with the Q90T. A couple of pages back I mentioned I sent mine back, I wasn’t happy with the DSE, lack of colour and detail (after changing the settings). I want to say that overall I was happy with the TV but when comparing it with my LG C7 I didn’t feel the Samsung had the immersive experience. So after waiting a week I now had the LG CX, it really is a huge leap forward(to my eyes), I am actually shocked at how bright it is as I thought this would let it down. Overall the Q90T is an excellent TV and I’m sure a lot of people will be happy with it but for me I think I just prefer OLED. Thanks to @anthemized for the help changing setting, really appreciate your commitment to this page.

oled is still ahead in term of image quality, but needs more care! and not for bright day rooms. enjoy your new tv set !!!

Hi All, just wanted to update you on the experience I had with the Q90T. A couple of pages back I mentioned I sent mine back, I wasn’t happy with the DSE, lack of colour and detail (after changing the settings). I want to say that overall I was happy with the TV but when comparing it with my LG C7 I didn’t feel the Samsung had the immersive experience. So after waiting a week I now had the LG CX, it really is a huge leap forward(to my eyes), I am actually shocked at how bright it is as I thought this would let it down. Overall the Q90T is an excellent TV and I’m sure a lot of people will be happy with it but for me I think I just prefer OLED. Thanks to @anthemized for the help changing setting, really appreciate your commitment to this page.

Have fun with the burn-in in 2-3 years. and yes - it happens almost to eveyone.

Have fun with the burn-in in 2-3 years. and yes - it happens almost to eveyone.

Hi,
yes I’ve experienced burn in on my first OLED (C6), but in 2016 I wasn’t aware of burn in and watched GMB (with logo) every morning before work (3 hours a day), after a year of use the screen was buggered but luckily I managed to get it replaced under warranty. I no longer watch anything with bright static logos and I’ve been fine since(don’t watch football or sports). Although I have had other issues with LG TVs like 25% window issue.
Ile be happy if I can get 2-4 years out of this TV and then I will buy the latest one again, I just think you need to be more cautious with OLED. Honestly though, I think if it wasn’t for that DSE and lack of colour I would have kept the Q90T, it really is a great TV, maybe they should have put a bit more time into the 4k line up this year instead of the 8k TVs.
The other 3 TVs in my house are Samsung (budget models) and my sound bar is also Samsung so all in all I love the brand, great products and support.

i can give you the one i use in game HDR with latest firmware.
lum 50
contrast 38 , not above or you overshoot the 50% white value
saturation 30
sharpness 0 or 1
localdimming High
dynamic contrast low.
ST2084 -1 (for the same reason above , to keep 50% white correct)
shadow +1
Game Motion plus on , game contrast enhancer 5.

HGIG off , why ? because unless you find a game that uses it correctly, it simply dimmer the max nit to a category2 , so 1000nits max. and i saw burned white while i have no problem when off.

on the PS4 you have also to tune the HDR in PS4 setting in order to tell the PS4 what max nit you have, with the help of their checkerboard. but you must do it AFTER entering the TV settings. moreover , thanks to "clever" samsung gui , the HDR setting on the PS4 is only available if you are already in a HDR game / film.

For SDR, it is easier , it depends on you light env , in dim env you keep saturation to 25. and if you go high in luminosity , you must couterbalance saturation to 18 to 16.
cf my published settings above.

and to remember the contrast in HDR game mode will be always worse that the HDR cinema/filmmaker . so you have to choose either latency or max quality HDR rendering.
Hi there,

Your settings are really really good. I'll admit being doubtful at first, but after trying your HDR Game Mode and SDR Filmmaker Mode settings, I am convinced for now!

Would you have precise settings for SDR Game Mode on PS4? I hate the bad contrast of that mode and want to get it to look as best as it can currently (since the other modes are plagued by purple ghosting for me).

Thanks and kudos for all your work! :)

Hi all,

I have an old Samsung soundbar linked to my TV. It has surround but no Dolby Atmos, and no eArc (only TV-ARC)

Should I link it to the TV with HDMI or Optical? HDMI doesn't give me surround, can I get it with optical (I ask since I can't test it yet, I'd have to buy a cable)?

Hi there,

Your settings are really really good. I'll admit being doubtful at first, but after trying your HDR Game Mode and SDR Filmmaker Mode settings, I am convinced for now!

Would you have precise settings for SDR Game Mode on PS4? I hate the bad contrast of that mode and want to get it to look as best as it can currently (since the other modes are plagued by purple ghosting for me).

Thanks and kudos for all your work! :)
thanks !
not really , i play always in HDR , in theory , you can take the SDR day or day bright to apply on the PS4 SDR, since it should not change. but i think always there is something strange in the saturation in the main menu, maybe due to the RGB mode that is used by the PS4 in SDR.

let me try to launch one or 2 games in SDR to see if all is ok.

thanks !
not really , i play always in HDR , in theory , you can take the SDR day or day bright to apply on the PS4 SDR, since it should not change. but i think always there is something strange in the saturation in the main menu, maybe due to the RGB mode that is used by the PS4 in SDR.

let me try to launch one or 2 games in SDR to see if all is ok.
Hey thanks.

The thing is that in your settings, SDR day/day bright are in Standard Mode, and that mode is a no go for me right now because of that damn purple ghosting! And Game Mode in SDR brings quite a lot of changes from normal Standard Mode, that's why I asked.

But really, don't make it some extra work on my account, you've done enough already! ;)

Hey thanks.

The thing is that in your settings, SDR day/day bright are in Standard Mode, and that mode is a no go for me right now because of that damn purple ghosting! And Game Mode in SDR brings quite a lot of changes from normal Standard Mode, that's why I asked.

But really, don't make it some extra work on my account, you've done enough already! ;)

well i ve done some times with gran turismo , no extra work :)
so i was in game mode , and applied the SDR bright day settings on it 35/41, BT1886+1, shadow 0 or +1 and enhanced contrast 5, GMP on . it works well , and for saturation , i believe 16 is still the right one , since i found some places oversaturated in the game if i keep 25.
in SDR with the latest firmware, you cannot really go wrong , since it tries to compensate, to follow the curve you define in the BT1886 field. here in bright day config , gamma 2.2 (BT1886+1) is working well. but i feel for night playing it would be too much.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom