Samsung Q950TS QLED 8K TV Review

Power via the fibre optic cable ? ? ( My credit card awaits.. ! )

Just hopebthe picture quality matches the design and features. Because i thought the q90r and 950r were poor compared tonthe q9fn.

So how does light carry mains voltage and current ?
Well Samsung refer to it as a single fibre optic cable, but the actual cable is a combination of fibre optics and power. It's incredible that everything can go down such a thin cable, and it makes tidy wall mounting so much easier. I'm surprised no other manufacturer has copied the One Connect box, because I think it's a great idea.

Well Samsung refer to it as a single fibre optic cable, but the actual cable is a combination of fibre optics and power. It's incredible that everything can go down such a thin cable, and it makes tidy wall mounting so much easier. I'm surprised no other manufacturer has copied the One Connect box, because I think it's a great idea.
Thanks Steve. I thought for a moment that they had made a major breakthrough that defied the laws of physics ! Have a good time over there, and a big thanks for all your info.

Thanks Steve. I thought for a moment that they had made a major breakthrough that defied the laws of physics ! Have a good time over there, and a big thanks for all your info.
@JH4 It's amazing what Mr Withers can do while safely in the UK! From AVForums, only Mr Phil Hinton is in Las Vegas.

Physically Stunning looking TV...Bezel less tv's aint new though

Sounds very promising. Hopefully this is based on an actual hands on with testing and not what Steve has been told by Samsung reps. No more Samsung Q90r soundbar eARC misinformation thanks.....

What's the deal with these and Dolby Vision then, and if you wanted to go via an AVR which supports that, presumably the lack of HDMI 2.1 on all AVRs currently means you won't be able to take full advantage of the HDMI 2.1 features... with gaming for example, when such GPUs/consoles area available? Is that the case or am I misunderstanding? I know here and now today, with no such 2.1 devices available, it wouldn't be an issue, but that will obviously change this year.

“Samsung offers a comprehensive selection that includes Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Rakuten TV, Now TV, and all the UK catch-up services. In addition, there’s support for TV Plus, Apple TV+ and Disney+.”

good.

What's the deal with these and Dolby Vision then
Samsung televisions do not support Dolby Vision - company policy, apparently. Just as LG (and Sony) televisions do not support HDR10+.

Hi Steve,

Will I be able to enjoy Rakuten 8K streaming service on my Samsung Q950R QLED 8K TV? I am not fussed about YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strange Business decision by Samsung consistently refusing to back Dolby Vision on their TV's. Akin to LG not backing HDR10+ which they'll never do with it being a Samsung Driven Format. But for me I would Never Buy a Samsung TV, No matter if MicroLed becomes the King of TV Tech in the future, due to their refusal to include DV. Particularly now more than ever with Dolby Vision gaining more & more traction as the No.1 defacto Dynamic HDR System. DV is growing week on week on 4k UHD Disc, Netflix and being used by the majority of Movie houses. Guess they feel it isn't impacting on Global Sales and Profit, allied with they don't want 3rd party Proprietary end to end Hardware in their TV's they can't control.

Maybe they think Dolby are in cahoots with the US Government:D

Not that Samsung give a jot about me or my opinions, but if in the next decade or so they get include DV then I'm all in.

Does this have the same sound issue as my Q85R tv.
When you use a soundbar connected to the tv via HDMI ARC, any external devices using Dolby Digital sound output has lag through the soundbar but normal sound is ok.
Lots of people complaining about it on Samsung and your forums.

I'm just not clear if all the HDMI inputs are 2.1?

Design looks nice and glad to hear about the new sound system.

Will this topple the OLEDs for overall picture quality? Will the FALD algorithm be relaxed to.make HDR pop and look more impactful than OLED? Will this win any shootouts this year?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom