Question Samsung Q95T 4K 120Hz

Bravo1c

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning guys,

I am having a little trouble and wonder if you know a solution. I am trying to get the display from my PC to display at 4K 120hz but it keeps reverting to 60hz within Geforce Control Panel. Not sure if this a HDMI thing or my GPU(very much doubt this) or a bug from NVIDIA. I have tried the below with no success.
  • Lower Resolution at 120Hz then 4k 120Hz
  • Custom resolution(Cannot due to duplication)
  • Changing colour format
  • Using both Ultra UD, HD, SD and PC resolutions
The steps are for me at least, go to change resolution, scroll down to the required resolution under PC (3840x2160) once selected i can see two options in there for 100Hz and 120Hz, but when i select apply it changes to the 120Hz then back to the 60Hz resolution under Ultra UD, HD, SD in the list. I can set the resolution to 1440 at 120Hz and that works like a dream but 4K will not no matter what i try. I am open to any suggestions.

PC Build Link <- (Click me)

FYI the image is not mine but rather a reference.

Many thanks for any help.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 193
Seems someone has asked and been answered, i didn't seen this until i did a very specific search. It is there but it seems the quality is not, i don't mind and the TV wasn't bought for 4K 120Hz specifically but it is nice to see 120Hz at 1440.

Have you tried changing the monitor refresh rate under windows graphic properties?

HDMI 2.0b doesn't have the bandwidth (18 Gbits/s) needed to support 4K@120Hz. However HDMI 2.1 (48 Gbits/s) does support 4K@120Hz but not many TVs have it - 2019 LG OLED models do.

At present there are no GPUs with HDMI 2.1 support available (although the higher end RTX 3000 series GPUs are rumoured to support it).

I have the Q90R and it will do 4K at 120hz

I see you have checked the dynamic range setting but is HDR also disabled within windows display options, if HDR is on then it'll limit it to 60hz

I have the Q90R and it will do 4K at 120hz

I see you have checked the dynamic range setting but is HDR also disabled within windows display options, if HDR is on then it'll limit it to 60hz

You know what i didn't think of this, i normal have that turned off as its hot garbage and causes so many issues. I'll check and see if this is an issue. I have tried 8bit, 4:2:0 and that doesn't support 4k 120Hz. I'm guessing that driver updates are needed. What is nice is that G Sync seems to work on this TV. I wasn't expecting that. Regardless i am so happy with the TV, the picture is amazing, the menu us smooth and easy to used. The Anynet works way better than my last TV and the HDR is perfect and almost no bloom. Its a real step up from my KS9000. I think if you can afford this TV it is work every penny. Especially if you are a core gamer and watch a lot of UHD Blu Rays.

HDMI 2.0b doesn't have the bandwidth (18 Gbits/s) needed to support 4K@120Hz. However HDMI 2.1 (48 Gbits/s) does support 4K@120Hz but not many TVs have it - 2019 LG OLED models do.

At present there are no GPUs with HDMI 2.1 support available (although the higher end RTX 3000 series GPUs are rumoured to support it).

I would be surprised if they do support it. It would think NVIDIA will hold this out for a mid year refresh.

I would be surprised if they do support it. It would think NVIDIA will hold this out for a mid year refresh.

@Bravo1c I did say rumoured.

Nobody knows for certain what specs the RTX 3000 series cards will have. FWIW I agree they may well hold back on HDMI 2.1 on the RTX 3060/3070 cards but if their "flagship" GPUs (RTX 3080 or 3090) didn't have HDMI 2.1 it would be a huge mistake by NVIDIA.

@Bravo1c I did say rumoured.

Nobody knows for certain what specs the RTX 3000 series cards will have. FWIW I agree they may well hold back on HDMI 2.1 on the RTX 3060/3070 cards but if their "flagship" GPUs (RTX 3080 or 3090) didn't have HDMI 2.1 it would be a huge mistake by NVIDIA.
@moonbeam120 i know :)

It would but NVIDIA control the market at the moment on the high end, they can do whatever they want. They are just going to do what makes them the most money while they can. With AMD catching up on GPU's and Intel launching something later next year i find it likely they are going to grab as much cash as possible as the market is going to get more diluted every launch cycle. Personally it doesn't matter but i hope Intel and AMD really step it up a gear and help drive down prices again. I wont be buying a new card for a few years but it will be interesting to see what comes of it all.

I bought a RTX 2070 Super in March (thankfully before the prices ramped up). So I will not be upgrading anytime soon either.

I suspect the 3000 series cards are being overhyped as usual. I'm expecting around a 15% increase in performance over the current RTX range. The 3090 might push 20% but certainly no more than that. The new GPUs will most certainly have their performance restricted to allow the release of a "updated" GPU late next year to milk the market as much as possible. It's what NViDIA do.

Like you I hope AMD and Intel challenge NVIDIA's dominance at the high end but I'm not holding my breath. Far to many folk are assuming AMD will overtake team Green the way they have Intel. They won't. At least not for the foreseeable future anyway.

Would it be possible to go display port to HDMI to get around this?

Would it be possible to go display port to HDMI to get around this?

If you can find a reliable display port 1.4 - HDMI 2.1 adapter then technically yes. Good luck finding one that actually does what it claims to do.

If you can find a reliable display port 1.4 - HDMI 2.1 adapter then technically yes. Good luck finding one that actually does what it claims to do.
I work in the CI industry so I can probably find something that claims to do the job, but like you say, these things are often not very reliable.

Like you I hope AMD and Intel challenge NVIDIA's dominance at the high end but I'm not holding my breath. Far to many folk are assuming AMD will overtake team Green the way they have Intel. They won't. At least not for the foreseeable future anyway.
The problem with the high end market of GPUs, comes to how many people will buy them?
How many people will spend £1000+ on a GPU? Not many. So why spend a lot on money on R&D for such a niche market?
AMD are on par with Nvidia but cheaper in the mid and lower range. The last high end card (Radeon VII I believe) came to the market too late to tackle Nvidia.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom