Samsung RU 7 series owners thread

interested in the RU 7400 50 inch having read the thread it will be a VA panel which is fine as its for a bedroom. at only 260 nits is the hdr picture unwatchable or acceptable? Would you recommend this tv? Or should I look elsewhere. I did look at the Sony KD557073 but was put off by the number of owners reporting screen lock ups, loss of Wi-Fi and limited app choice due to Sony deciding to use a Linux os instead of Android. and also only a 1 year warranty on it.

interested in the RU 7400 50 inch having read the thread it will be a VA panel which is fine as its for a bedroom. at only 260 nits is the hdr picture unwatchable or acceptable? Would you recommend this tv? Or should I look elsewhere. I did look at the Sony KD557073 but was put off by the number of owners reporting screen lock ups, loss of Wi-Fi and limited app choice due to Sony deciding to use a Linux os instead of Android. and also only a 1 year warranty on it.
Good tv For the bedroom, got it also there. You have got to get into the service menu to fix the global dimming issue when it annoys you (i hated it), but that's all. Of course the settings out of the box are terrible as always, but you can fix that and get really dark. Great TV!

Good tv For the bedroom, got also there. You have got to get into the service menu to fix the global dimming issue when it annoys you (i hated it), but that's all. Of course the settings out of the box are terrible as always, but you can fix that and get really dark. Great TV!
thanks, ill turn that off as soon as I get it and power it on. did you find recommended picture settings or use the ones mentioned in this thread fpr the 7300 model?

thanks, ill turn that off as soon as I get it and power it on. did you find recommended picture settings or use the ones mentioned in this thread fpr the 7300 model?
I've got my own settings, but believe me every TV is different.

yes true but its good to start with a baseline and then tweak and adjust them.

Just bought a 65" RU7100 after receiving not so good customer service from Hisense after the telly stopped working. I've totally gutted with this Samsung its not a patch on the Hisense. Really bad light bleed. Terrible handling of motion (can't even handle hand movements). Black levels are pathetic. Local dimming can not be switched off and finally, the sound is mediocre. View attachment 1254132
Are people 100% sure that Samsung aren't using IPS panels in TV's 50" and above? Seeing and reading this, and reading someone elses experience with the 55" version is putting me off getting the 7400.

its a minefield. not sure about the VA panels bring used in 50 inch > but by all accounts the 7400 is better than the 7100. it has more nits of brightness for hdr and a higher PQI rating.

its a minefield. not sure about the VA panels bring used in 50 inch > but by all accounts the 7400 is better than the 7100. it has more nits of brightness for hdr and a higher PQI rating.
I was considering the 65 inch 7100 or 7400 but after seeing the state of his 7100 I won't be going with that as it looks like it could be an IPS panel in his tv, even though everyones saying that they use VA at 50" and above. Or can VA panels look that bad as well?

according to the RS website the panel on the 7400 is only 50 Hz too which explains hy people have reported getting motion blur

according to the RS website the panel on the 7400 is only 50 Hz too which explains hy people have reported getting motion blur

Think that might just be a typo by RS. It's a 60Hz screen.

They also have TVs with 120Hz screens, such as the Q70, listed as being just 100Hz.

cheerrs for confirming thsy itsa 60. it almost put me of buying it

The motion issues people talk about is just due to the inherent difficulties 60Hz panels have dealing with telecine on PAL signals.

Think that might just be a typo by RS. It's a 60Hz screen.

They also have TVs with 120Hz screens, such as the Q70, listed as being 100Hz.

Same thing. They can easily switch between 50/60 and 100/120. It saves manufacturers from having to make separate PAL/NTSC compatible panels.

As for question above re panel types, all even numbered sets (40”, 50” etc) are va. There’s nobody making these sets in ips. Most other sizes can be either, hence why you can’t be sure to get va in 43” etc.

I was considering the 65 inch 7100 or 7400 but after seeing the state of his 7100 I won't be going with that as it looks like it could be an IPS panel in his tv, even though everyones saying that they use VA at 50" and above. Or can VA panels look that bad as well?

Backlight bleed is always exaggerated by photos. But there is still the possibility that it was a bad panel, and the bleed was that bad.

But that would be more a result of the panel lottery than VA panels. VA panels typically exhibit far less light bleed than their IPS counterparts.

I've just ordered a 50RU7400. Can someone let me know should I bellowing for a '1'?

Will it be in the serial number, or is it the model number on the box?

Many thanks

looked at the 50' 7470 in pc world last night which is meant to be the same as the 7400 despite the fact that Samsung states a higher PQI for the 7470??? it was next to a Panasonic and to me was far better. does anyone here know if the 7400 and 7470 are in fact the same and that the 7470 is just a shop variant??

I think they are the same TV, the 7470 is the model no. exclusive to Curry's.
Thanks that was my understanding too but when I asked Samsung support (who are pretty crap really) they gave me links for the specs on both and the 7470 had a higher PQI rating.

I went out and about yesterday to Richer Sounds and John Lewis. I (eventually) decided on the 50" Samsung UE50RU7400. I got it for £399 from RS with their 6 year guarantee. I would have got from JL, but wasn't in stock. It has a VA panel. The UI is very slick. Has eververything I want, Now TV, Prime, Apple TV, Netflix and all the catch up services. It's a breeze to set up and navigate around. I've managed to achieve very natural colours. The picture quality is amazing for the price. Good blacks and contrast. I would recommend anyone checking it out if you are after a 50".

The only negative, so far, is I didn't like having to enter my Paypal info, etc, as I went through setting it up.

I went out and about yesterday to Richer Sounds and John Lewis. I (eventually) decided on the 50" Samsung UE50RU7400. I got it for £399 from RS with their 6 year guarantee. I would have got from JL, but wasn't in stock. It has a VA panel. The UI is very slick. Has eververything I want, Now TV, Prime, Apple TV, Netflix and all the catch up services. It's a breeze to set up and navigate around. I've managed to achieve very natural colours. The picture quality is amazing for the price. Good blacks and contrast. I would recommend anyone checking it out if you are after a 50".

The only negative, so far, is I didn't like having to enter my Paypal info, etc, as I went through setting it up.
Did it say or explain why your PayPal details were required ??? that sounds a bit moody to me ?

Did it say or explain why your PayPal details were required ??? that sounds a bit moody to me ?

No, i believe for paid for services for the smart side. I didn’t see a skip button

No, i believe for paid for services for the smart side. I didn’t see a skip button
there must be a skip button because not everyone will be using the smart apps so there should be a choice I'm going to be connecting an Nvidia shield tv to the tv for example so I'm not going to be putting in my PayPal info. check the security options or settings to see if there Is a way for you to remove your credentials.

You can remove PayPal from Samsung Pay in the PayPal app or the Samsung Pay app. In the PayPal app, tap the Settings gear icon, then Samsung Pay, then select “Disconnect from Samsung Pay.” In the Samsung Pay app, tap on the PayPal card, at the bottom of the details screen, select “Remove card.”

You can remove PayPal from Samsung Pay in the PayPal app or the Samsung Pay app. In the PayPal app, tap the Settings gear icon, then Samsung Pay, then select “Disconnect from Samsung Pay.” In the Samsung Pay app, tap on the PayPal card, at the bottom of the details screen, select “Remove card.”

Done that. Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom