Question Samsung (Tizen) vs AppleTV : best video/audio quality

lowrisk

Novice Member
I ordered a QLED Q60T, I know it’s come with most of the apps (Netflix, Apple TV+ etc...) (and I also know Tizen is full of security holes but I will put it on its own VLAN anyway)

I wonder what is the best video quality for playing 1080P and 4K content ? Apple TV obviously have a better CPU but not sure do video / audio quality

Some content are from local server (Plex,SMB...) some from Netflix, Disney Plus and Amazon Prime

The AppleTV 4K will be connected to Samsung sound bar through eARC with an HDMI 2.1 cable (pretty sure the AppleTV only support 2.0 though ?! — update 2.0a) also both are connected through Ethernet with a gigabit link

next010

Distinguished Member
The streaming services are most likely feeding the same video streams as video decoding is done through hardware not software and the Q60T is an up to date TV so has current video/audio codecs.

For non-streaming content the ATV4K is better.
* PCM 7.1 audio support
* match range and frame rate 24Hz, HDR etc
* Media players like InFuse and MrMC can connect to Plex servers so all content is played locally on the ATV avoiding transcoding by the server. You can also read NFS/SMB shares with them too.

Playing through the TV will likely limit you to PCM 2.0, DD/DTS, 60Hz output and Plex only.

lowrisk

Novice Member
Thank you, yes that make sense, I’ll keep the AppleTV 4K so, and on top of the advantages, I won’t have to connect the actual TV to any network which is a big relief!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom