Samsung UE**H6400 Owners' thread + Related 2014 6 Series TVs

I agree it should still be supported... the trouble is, we bought them right when companies moved across to other platforms ie Android-based ones... so the focus is more on them.

I can see it being fully dropped within the next year.

As for Plex... try having a library of thousands or streaming 4K ;) Heck, the TV has a 100mbit LAN port... and some 4K Direct Plays exceed that in bitrate!

LG tv's are still not Android based ones!

Hello,
I'm looking for a concrete answer as to whether the H6400 series will pass through dolby 5.1 from an external HDMI source (in my case Playstation 4) to 1 - the HDMI (ARC) port or 2 - the optical output?
Nope, all of my external HDMI devices get downgraded to Stereo on the way through the TV.

Just to check (the set is still under Richer Sounds 5 year guarantee) but this is a panel/backlight fault I assume, nothing I can deal with myself?

View attachment 1164693

Andre

Sadly for me, the same has happened to my H6400 7 months after my 5 yr RS guarantee expired.

I have been quoted £180 + £90 labour by RS to repairs the tv. Samsung are yet to respond my compliant. I'm looking for a replacement tv now but I'm very wary of investing in another Samsung.
:-(

Does anyone have any suggestions up to 49" £600 budget?

Sorry to hear about ya TV mate... my tv is Same make and model as yours and it’s in my bedroom only... watch it for 2 or 3 hours before bed... I got a few picture settings off this forum and I love it, still an amazing picture - got mine from richer sounds for £315 discounted at Cheltenham store.. think it was 2016.... so mines coming up for the 5 year warranty but fingers crossed it won’t start playing up anytime soon... my main TV in living room is a 55” 4K Panasonic which is awesome

Sadly for me, the same has happened to my H6400 7 months after my 5 yr RS guarantee expired.

I have been quoted £180 + £90 labour by RS to repairs the tv. Samsung are yet to respond my compliant. I'm looking for a replacement tv now but I'm very wary of investing in another Samsung.
:-(

Does anyone have any suggestions up to 49" £600 budget?

I can understand your desire not to repair, technology/aesthetics move on.

For nearly £300 quid, just not worth it.

Thanks dude, I noticed playing PES, the green of the football pitch just wasn't right!!!! The self diagnosis picture test confirmed it.

This will become a bedroom TV for as long as I can tolerate the discoloration. The other gripe with this set was Samsung dropping support for the apps almost instantly, further supporting the short termism and life cycle of their products. It does seem so wasteful to have to bin off a set that isn't 6 yo. We have a Sony in the kids bedroom that must be 15 years old still going strong (using this to educate the next generation on Mario Kart 64 and Sonic the hedgehog).

The other gripe with this set was Samsung dropping support for the apps almost instantly, further supporting the short termism and life cycle of their products. It does seem so wasteful to have to bin off a set that isn't 6 yo.

Don't just chuck it away, a good way to keep these tv's smart through Samsungs appalling lack of support is to buy an Amazon firestick, you then have a smart tv with all the apps you enjoy. They are usually on offer on Amazon. If you buy the firestick 4k one that is the best and most efficient in terms of software.

Hi there Samsung H6400 owners.
My story:

I have 6xSamsung TV different models since 2009 till 2018.
This week the model 48H6400 bought in 2014-2015 stopped recognizing any of the 4xHDMI's.
I have tried everything that can be done to fix it: software wise, different hdmi cables, different sources, factory reset, Service menu nothing can be done to FIX the HDMI no signal problem.
So I googled about a week on what can be done to my tv and I found that the only thing to do is to change the motherboard (not the tcon, but the motherboard).
I want to specify that EVERYTHING else works on the TV except HDMI. 3D OK, TV channels OK, usb OK, etc.
Also the Wi-Fi does not work for 2 years (I believe after a firmware update but not sure) or so but I do not need the wifi and it's not important for me, I only need the HDMI since I am using the TV to a PC source for games and movies/tv-shows nonstop, and occasionally Tv channels.
So my question is this:

Will a motherboard from a different SIZE TV and model work? not different SERIES but model?!
For example: from a SAMSUNG 40H6500 TV to my SAMSUNG 48H6400?
I have a friend who is willing to give me his motherboard and he will have mine since he does not care about HDMI at all, only TV channels.
Also my second question: are the motherboard from different size but SAME MODEL SERIES compatible?? ex:
32H6400, 40H6400, 48H6400, 55H6400 are these motherboards working for any of this models? like putting an 32H6400 motherboard to an 48H6400 model?

I am asking this question here for an expert or advance user or someone that really knows this or tried this because I can search on google all day and see that the motherboard fits and compare the specs and say yes I BELIEVE it will work.
I need a correct answer to know what to do because I do not have the possibility to buy the EXACT motherboard for my TV.
Would really appreciate an response from someone how has this type of knowledge.
Thank you!

LE:
The Samsung H6500 improvement in incorporating the dual tuner, there aren't more differences with the H6400 model.

So with this difference wound the motherboard swap be compatible? would the tcon board give errors? does this board have to be swap also? or it will work by just swapping the motherboard and be compatible from the 6500 to 6400 model?

Last edited:
Hi guys

I have this TV in my bedroom and noticed this option to select on my amazon fire tv, so is my TV an 8, 10 or 12 bit panel??

Attachments

• B25D569C-456E-4CC9-AE66-7D860D326BB8.jpeg
    B25D569C-456E-4CC9-AE66-7D860D326BB8.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 93
Hi guys

I have this TV in my bedroom and noticed this option to select on my amazon fire tv, so is my TV an 8, 10 or 12 bit panel??

Its an 8bit panel.

My 48H6400 has also given up the ghost.

It seems it's happened to quite a few fellow members on the thread.

Going to ask an obvious question - what is a good / currently avaliable replacement.

Thinking of going a little larger in size.

Sorry to hear about everyone’s TV’s going wrong😔
What seems to be the common issues and why does this happen?

I bought mine for £370 back in June 2016 from Richer Sounds in Oxford.. got £30 off as a clearance deal

Mine is still fantastic but I’d like to upgrade as I do want a 4K TV in bedroom, but for now it’s doing fine..

I’ve put some recommended picture settings in from this forum and much better

Attachments

• EE73AD8B-5B46-4884-999C-9DDEE86E9641.jpeg
    EE73AD8B-5B46-4884-999C-9DDEE86E9641.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 75
  • BDE4831F-127D-4776-BC86-B1F1992B2D4B.jpeg
    BDE4831F-127D-4776-BC86-B1F1992B2D4B.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 73
Sorry to hear about everyone’s TV’s going wrong😔
What seems to be the common issues and why does this happen?

I bought mine for £370 back in June 2016 from Richer Sounds in Oxford.. got £30 off as a clearance deal

Mine is still fantastic but I’d like to upgrade as I do want a 4K TV in bedroom, but for now it’s doing fine..

I’ve put some recommended picture settings in from this forum and much better

A) Spots or dark blotches on the screen

B) Complete panel failure

C) The ports go

D) Backlight goes

I will say one thing - straightforwardly - the panel on this TV when new was shockingly good for it's time.

I remember watching Elysium on it - the shot where they grab/pickup boy genius - it was almost too good to be true.

Well... I got the 5 year warranty on it.. if that actually means anything with Richer sounds?

That runs out June 2021

Fingers crossed she’s still running after that

For me panel issues are prevalent across manufacturers, so your either lucky (you find fault in the warranty) or unlucky (it goes wrong outside of warranty). The other thing that disappointed me was Samsung’s lack of app support past 12-18months. The OS is pretty clunky so as much as the screen needs to perform, for my next screen I will also be looking at how the smart OS element is supported.

I have heard good things about LG’s webOS so I’m leaning towards them at present. The biggest size screen I can fit is 50”. LG has only just added an OLED model in 49”-50” range (at a premium price). I haven’t decided what to replace the h6400 with yet but I was looking at the 2020 LG sm86 series or the New 49 OLED But that’s some way out of my initial budget.
Sorry not really a direct answer but just some general thoughts on the situation.

In regards to warranty.. what if your within warranty and they don’t produce the TV that has the fault anymore? Do they repair it or give you the nearest model from this years range? 🤔

In regards to warranty.. what if your within warranty and they don’t produce the TV that has the fault anymore? Do they repair it or give you the nearest model from this years range? 🤔
Depends on the terms and conditions of the warranty really. I believe it would be a repair first and then if that was not possible a Similar spec alternative set would be provided. RS for example.

I bought 2 of these when they came out, both 40" models, for the kids rooms, my daughters TV is still perfect, not a single issue, however my sons has a line that runs down the whole screen vertically, a very thin line, sometimes the line is red, sometimes green. Sometimes this line can disappear for weeks, then it returns, been told it could be a loose cable to the panel, but also a broken panel itself, going to get him a 4K at Xmas and will sell it on for parts, their still fetching around £80 - £100 even broken.

Still hoping for some suggestions for the replacement of this fantastic set?

What are people replacing it with?

Still hoping for some suggestions for the replacement of this fantastic set?

What are people replacing it with?

Basically any TV can be a great replacement over a 2014 1080p TV - it just depends on what you want, what areas are most important and what you are willing to spend. I doubt you will find a HD TV anymore so you have 4k - an improvement on resolution. It depends on whether you want HDR or not as that can affect both the picture quality and/or viewing angles - especially if you are not willing to spend a lot of money. If its not important to you, then you can get away with 'mediocre' HDR PQ and potentially as good, if not better black levels in SDR but again depends on budget.

The 'best' PQ without a doubt is an OLED but that comes at a price and some potential drawbacks under certain circumstances. The alternative is another LCD which again comes with some advantages and drawbacks in certain circumstances. There isn't likely to be a '1 TV' for everyone to upgrade to and everyone would need to research, decide which TV's fit their budget and then decide which of those offers the most pros for their needs and/or the fewest cons that they can live with accept.

There are a number of great TV's, all with their own strengths and weaknesses comparatively but also depends on budget, so you have to make the choice yourself as to which is the TV to upgrade to as what is most important to you ma not be important to another or the weaknesses of one may be too much for one but acceptable for you...

I also was thinking of upgrading my 48”
H6400
Mines absolutely fine.. but want someat with 4K and slightly bigger than a 48”

might sell mine and have a look online for TV reviews🤔

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 55” Q90R last week, only the fact that my 48” H6400 is still working absolutely flawlessly stopped me... kind of wish it would go wrong so could justify replacing it! 😂

👍🏻

Last edited:
Sold my 48 inch H6400 today on Facebook marketplace, bought it in 2016 for £370, sold it for £250 cash.. a loss of £129 over 4 years, I’m well chuffed with that price and guy really happy with the pic

Picking up a Sony 55 inch XF9005 tomorrow for £649

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom