Question Samsung UE50TU8502 or Philips 50PUS7304/The One?

Which is better?

• Samsung TU8502

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JackStillAlive

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am looking at replacing my Samsung 40" NU7122 and after a day of searching, I ended up with two finalists, both are 50" and cost the same:
  • Samsung TU8502
  • Philips PUS7304, also referred to as "The One"
I barely found anything about them and on other forums I got recommendations for both. I know that the Samsung one has Dual Led Technology and comes with the shitty "smart" Remote, while the Philips has Dolby Vision support. I'd use the TV mostly for Netflix(4kHDR) and gaming(PS4 Pro, later on PS5). Which one would be the better choice?

You should consider spending more money with your HDR usage. Cheaper TVs don't make the cut with HDR.

Upper mid range or higher in the best buy guide here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

So for sub 55" that would be the Sony 49XG9005 followed by the Samsung 49Q70R.

You should consider spending more money with your HDR usage. Cheaper TVs don't make the cut with HDR.

Upper mid range or higher in the best buy guide here: My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

So for sub 55" that would be the Sony 49XG9005 followed by the Samsung 49Q70R.

Personally, I am find with mediocre HDR, especially since it's going to be an upgrade compared to my current TV regardless, and unfortunately, neither of your recommended TVs are good for me due to their stand, my TV table is only 84cm wide, so bigger TVs with side-stands don't fit. Another issue is pricing in my country, the Sony one costs a bit more than double the price of the PUS7304 and TU8502, and the Q70R is out of stock here.

Personally, I am find with mediocre HDR, especially since it's going to be an upgrade compared to my current TV regardless, and unfortunately, neither of your recommended TVs are good for me due to their stand, my TV table is only 84cm wide, so bigger TVs with side-stands don't fit. Another issue is pricing in my country, the Sony one costs a bit more than double the price of the PUS7304 and TU8502, and the Q70R is out of stock here.
The problem is there really isn't a 'mediocre' HDR. You can buy a custom central stand to fit any TV...for example this one: Ergolynx UK 28"-55" Universal Tabletop TV Pedestal Stand Bracket LED LCD VESA 5055606405839 | eBay
Another issue is pricing in my country, the Sony one costs a bit more than double the price of the PUS7304 and TU8502, and the Q70R is out of stock here.
Prices usually fluctuate a lot, the other TVs you are considering are cheaper models to make, but those today may be cheaper, and the Sony gets a discount tomorrow.

Unfortunately displaying HDR is a bit more complicated than it seems when you shop for TVs. Its not really a case that by buying a cheaper model you are only getting mediocre HDR. Mediocre HDR starts with the models I suggested and beneath them, is next to unusable due to picture quality problems like the image being too dark, or washed out.

The solution on cheaper TVs to bypass HDR is not to use internal apps, but instead play back 4k content that comes with HDR on an external smart device so you can disable HDR on the HDMI port and enjoy the content in SDR instead.

Unfortunately its becoming increasingly harder and harder to recommend cheaper TVs as their future proofing is very very poor, it makes little sense to buy a cheaper model compared to keeping what you currently have for a while longer, and upgrading later to a TV that really has better HDR capability.

If you don't mind avoiding HDR, you want a VA type panel on the TV and you're confident it is not going to be an issue for you avoiding it, then there's more value in cheaper TVs. All 50" models perform very similar be it from Samsung, Philips, LG, Hisense or TCL. So if that is the size you are shopping for just find the cheapest deal from all those TVs. In my guide based in the UK Hisense models are suggested above others due to better picture accuracy and cheaper price, but perhaps locally TCL or other models are cheaper. Generally you want to avoid new 2020 models like the Samsung TU8500 as they are only replacements for last years RU7400/RU7000 range and cost a lot more money presently as they have just been released.

If you are looking for a quality model that are a little more of a step up, but not as expensive as the HDR TVs I mentioned in my last reply, try to look for a 49" Sony XG85 series.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom