Scrolling probs in win 10 help !!!.please

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
My daughter's got an Acer aspire using windows 10 and just recently it's had mad auto and erratic scrolling problems with the wireless mouse..tried a hard wired mouse ..same problem..tried a different wireless mouse.same.

Googled it and tried a few suggestions..including trying the wireless adapter in a different usb slot..using a different user ...also did a clean install after setting up a bootable USB stick with the latest windows 10 on...still got the problem !
Sometimes goes for a bit then comes back
Hard buttons on keyboard for scrolling up and down do it as well?

Not used windows 10 before so I'm trying to sort it out but not getting very far and getting loads of grief from said daughter as it's making web pages unusable

Anyone got any experience or ideas I would be most grateful!

Thought a new install would cure but alas no.

Cheers

Last edited:
What about the normal scrolling on the touchpad?

If a clean install hasn't done anything then you can rule out most software issues. It could be dirt in the keyboard/touchpad (it's worth giving the latter a clean, especially the edges if it's recessed), or it could be them failing.

If you disable the built in touchpad does that stop it? What if you do the same with the keyboard?

There's often a setting for the former, but you might have to disable the latter in device manager.

ill have to try...think she did disable the touchpad before i got my hands on it ...and it did'nt stop it.

configuring windows updates at the mo and it's taking a while

yeah touchpad control is doing it....keyboard up and down buttons is doing it...so is both wireless and hard wired mice.

disabled the touchpad.

....just used device manager to look at the keyboard....no 'disable' option....but did notic there were 2 keyboard options....a quick google suggested that if there was no disable option...uninstall it.

uninstalled one of the keyboard options...got a bit windy that i'd be left with out a keyboard...so came out of device manager and back onto the forum webpage...noticed i could still type ok....and the mad scrolling had stopped......scrolled up and down fine a few times.

got excited...so posted this message....

problem now back again :mad::facepalm::thumbsdow:(
only one keyboard now showing up in device manager..but keyboard is working.

tried the windows 10 hardware trouble shooting...but that just comes saying there a 'problem' and it cant continue :confused:

Last edited:
The second keyboard may have been keyboard functionality for something like Macro software, I have one for my joystick. If you have anything like that it's worth uninstalling. If there's anything like that installed (external mouse software suites etc.) it might be worth uninstalling temporarily.

It's worth looking through the properties of the keyboard devices to see if there's anything that identifies them. A manufacturer name, or _ID values.

Has the second keyboard device come back?

The troubleshooters are just there to pick up the obvious problems, if you know the slightest thing about computers they're not useful.

just been using keyboard tester.com to test and see what the keyboard is doing...

all seems ok except for some scrolling keys....they should but ..'the arrows in a cross' ...they are lighting up in the testers keyboard layout arrows in the same way....but seem to make only the 'page up' box flash ...if that makes sense.

anyway it look like these keys are playing up somehow but would these interfer with a connected mouse?

i've got in with a pin and cleaned round the keys

the @ key was also iffy...that seems a bit better .

edit:

just been watching a vid on how to pop the keys off ....i'll have a go at that later and give it a blow/clean....then run the keyboard tester again

all seems ok except for some scrolling keys....they should but ..'the arrows in a cross' ...they are lighting up in the testers keyboard layout arrows in the same way....but seem to make only the 'page up' box flash ...if that makes sense.

Not really. You seem to say the arrow keys light up their indicators on the web page in the same way as other keys do (i.e. correctly) and then say they only make the page up box light up.

anyway it look like these keys are playing up somehow but would these interfer with a connected mouse?

So is it only doing it when the mouse is connected?

Having a mouse/touchpad connected won't disable keyboard shortcuts for scrolling if that's what you're asking.

Are you seeing the unwanted scrolling when you're not interacting with the laptop at all?

If it only shows up when you're using the laptop does it show up when you're pressing keys on the keyboard or also when you're using the external mouse alone?

Well latest is.....I popped off and cleaned ....then put back each key that looked problematic .

Tiny page up and down keys along the top of the keyboeke were pretty fiddly as the 'rocking frame'.and the key itself came off together.

Anyway popping them off...giving it a blow ...then a brush...putting them back ..

The scrolling on the mouse is now working better...and the keyboard up and down buttons seem to be working.

Half an hour in and it's happening occasionally but nothing on the scale it was.

Sounds like it might be the connections in the keyboard at fault then, they're often replaceable.

well gave it back to my daughter thinking it was cured.....doing it again now!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom