Sea Of Thieves Xbox One Review & Comments

Hey @sparkymark75 your missing out on the fun on SOT with me and @N0ddie :rotfl:
time to dump tarkov:p and get back on SOT
Nah, he'll be too used to the slow/non skilled play style of Tarkov to more to a quick paced game that requires skill to win fights :rotfl:

Nah, he'll be too used to the slow/non skilled play style of Tarkov to more to a quick paced game that requires skill to win fights :rotfl:
I’m an auld man, I need slow. Tbf, you only played it for a few hours, you deffo need skill to do well in Tarkov. Being a rats a skill right?

think that`s me done with SOT after this update :( they have nerfed the megs, i hit 1 of them with pistol it attacked me then disappeared :mad: and no i wasn`t anywhere near an island

getting sick of rare nerfing the game for bloody noobs :mad:

Sounds like it might be time for me to give it a whirl....;)

Would be a shame if you did give it up. I quite enjoying dropping in on your broadcasts from the high seas...

Sounds like it might be time for me to give it a whirl....;)

Would be a shame if you did give it up. I quite enjoying dropping in on your broadcasts from the high seas...

should play it ;) when it doesn`t frustrate you it is a good game, could join up with me and N0ddie on the seas one night :thumbsup:

just annoying i`m trying to get the meg commendations and rare has change it they won`t attack sloop :(

got to love getting called a PVE grinder in arena by a double gunner and that i`m rubbish :D yet he killed me 0 and i killed him twice :rotfl:

I'm in the test for xcloud and this is the game I tend to play when using it. It's reminded me how awesome this game is, but also highlights why I fell off of it. It just requires so much time. I start the game knowing that I can probably do 1 or 2 easy quests at most and if I'm lucky I might even get to cash in my rewards, but more often than not I have to come off the game before doing so. I don't even attempt to team up with anyone because I know i won't be sticking around long, and I don't even consider starting any of the new story type stuff. I know it's an online game but the ability to save your position and come back later would be amazing. Even if it required you to dock on an island to do so it would make me play much more of the game.

Also is there a bug that means you have to apply ship cosmetics every time you load the game? Dunno if it'san issue with the game or just the xcloud version.

I was curious to see if anyone else was still playing it and was having a read through the thread and feel this is still one of the biggest problems. It's frustrating nothing saves and anything worthwhile takes too long much of the time which is off putting and makes it harder to do co-op when each person needs a decent chunk of free time. I've been trying to do some solo stuff in between when I can get time with friends but finding it too frustrating losing everything to enemy players that the game makes it impossible to defend against.

Last edited:
I was curious to see if anyone else was still playing it and was having a read through the thread and feel this is still one of the biggest problems. It's frustrating nothing saves and anything worthwhile takes too long much of the time which is off putting and makes it harder to do co-op when each person needs a decent chunk of free time. I've been trying to do some solo stuff in between when I can get time with friends but finding it too frustrating losing everything to enemy players that the game makes it impossible to defend against.

I jumped back in for the first time in ages last night, mainly to check out the Pirates of the Caribbean stuff. I still love this game. I played through the first voyage of the POTC stuff and part way through the second voyage, and loved every minute of it.
It turns out they've added checkpoints for it, and for the tall tales stuff too, which is ideal for me. My main complaint about the game was not having the time needed to do anything substantial and this really helps.
The other thing is I tend to play alone, as my playing times can be very sporadic, and the POTC stuff (so far at least) has been doable alone yet still challenging. I'm hoping the tall tales stuff is doable alone too. It would be great if the game could scale difficulty to the size of your crew, if it doesn't already.

I've been reading up on some of the details of the new content and if I'd still been playing the game I'd have given it a go but I gave it up a while ago. The game still feels like it's an early access game with the very unbalanced gameplay and lack of content and variety. It's a shame because I think the game does many aspects extremely well and can make for great co-op experiences but I'm glad I'm done with it, I don't miss working away just to get sunk and lose everything yet again by an enemy team I have no chance against.

I've been reading up on some of the details of the new content and if I'd still been playing the game I'd have given it a go but I gave it up a while ago. The game still feels like it's an early access game with the very unbalanced gameplay and lack of content and variety. It's a shame because I think the game does many aspects extremely well and can make for great co-op experiences but I'm glad I'm done with it, I don't miss working away just to get sunk and lose everything yet again by an enemy team I have no chance against.

I don't think it feels like it's in early access at all anymore. There is loads of content in the game now. Loads of tall tale stuff, a bunch of different factions to do voyages for as well as the random voyages that can be found on your travels. There's a load more enemy types too. I certainly feel like there is more content in this than in plenty of other open world games.

The bumping into other aggressive ships was definitely an issue before but since they added the arena mode I've only been sunk by another ship twice, and I'd only just set sail so weren't really fussed. I don't even fight back I cling to the ladder on their ship and tag along. When they next get off I board the ship, and set it on fire, nick and hide their stuff, raise the anchor and send the ship on its way without them. It's a fun bit of revenge. Also in the Pirates of the Caribbean stuff the voyages in that are kind of isolated locations where you other crews can't get to you.

I was playing the second PotC mission yesterday to find the Pearl and after what must have been 20 minutes I finally got there, dived down but didn’t realise I had to follow the debris’s so drowned, when I re-spawned on my ship it was in flames as another player was blowing me to bits and shouting in Russian with loud music blaring, needless to say I died and then it re-spawned me at an island 10 minutes away from where I just was.

Turned it off and doubt I will go back.

Last edited:
That's odd - there aren't meant to be other players in the PotC missions.

I don't think it feels like it's in early access at all anymore. There is loads of content in the game now. Loads of tall tale stuff, a bunch of different factions to do voyages for as well as the random voyages that can be found on your travels. There's a load more enemy types too. I certainly feel like there is more content in this than in plenty of other open world games.

The bumping into other aggressive ships was definitely an issue before but since they added the arena mode I've only been sunk by another ship twice, and I'd only just set sail so weren't really fussed. I don't even fight back I cling to the ladder on their ship and tag along. When they next get off I board the ship, and set it on fire, nick and hide their stuff, raise the anchor and send the ship on its way without them. It's a fun bit of revenge. Also in the Pirates of the Caribbean stuff the voyages in that are kind of isolated locations where you other crews can't get to you.
I didn't think there was that much content because it doesn't take long to exhaust it and much of it is very repetitive. I was excited to finally unlock the Athena missions only to find it's just exactly the same missions you've been doing already but longer, more tedious versions of them. Fortnite gets a lot of flack in the gaming community but there is a lot they do well especially their season changes with often big events and significant changes to the game whereas the Sea of Thieves change was is this it?!

Also giving it the early access feel is the completely unbalanced gameplay, the big problem with the PvP is the risk/reward is tipped too far to attacking ships. If you're coming back from a mission you have absolutely everything to lose, potentially hours of work but an attacking ship has absolutely nothing to lose. If you beat them they can simply respawn and attack you as many times as they want until they finally beat you and take all your hard earned rewards. And if you're in a smaller ship you simply have no chance against the bigger ones which can easily cripple you in their first barrage no matter what you do.

It sounds like you've been extremely lucky because your sort of tactics will not work with experienced players who will be on the look out for you trying to get their ship and putting yourself on the ladder makes you very vulnerable, just a single shot from the blunderbuss and you're done with no ability to fight back.

I do appreciate pirating and plunder is one of the main parts of the game and I can appreciate why so many players are so aggressive because the game rewards them for that but it makes the game itself very unbalanced. There seems little point in doing the little content there is because there's a good chance you're going to come across enemy players at some point and they're going to attack you and force you to start again. Perhaps with more balanced gameplay there would be a better range of players which I think was the original idea, alliances with some, enemies with others but it hasn't happened.

Ultimately despite there being many elements I liked about the game it pretty much forced me to stop playing because I was getting killed and blown up on everything I did and there wasn't much left to do anyway.
I was playing the second PotC mission yesterday to find the Pearl and after what must have been 20 minutes I finally got there, dived down but didn’t realise I had to follow the debris’s so drowned, when I re-spawned on my ship it was in flames as another player was blowing me to bits and shouting in Russian with loud music blaring, needless to say I died and then it re-spawned me at an island 10 minutes away from where I just was.

Turned it off and doubt I will go back.
Yes that's the classic SoT gameplay I don't miss at all.

That's odd - there aren't meant to be other players in the PotC missions.

The mission doesn't start till you get down there the first checkpoint below, so there are sometimes other ships and crews at the point where you start the dive. The few times I've been there to do that mission I've seen crews and ships there, but have never had any hostility there.

Honestly I've been playing a lot since my post above and have only been attacked once. And in fact I've had a couple of positive encounters, one in which they pointed me in the right direction for pigs. Another where I was alone exploring an island bumped into a crew of 3 who help took out some of the skeletons I was fighting with.

It really seems to me that the addition of the arena and the reapers mark flag combat in the explore mode is minimised.

Last edited:
I might try this again, I just like exploring solo most of the time. Is it easy to get back into, Ive not played it for ages.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom