Self-Isolation Top 10 Movie Franchises Part 2 - article discussion

I think you need to get real here - no one is EVER going to have time to watch the middle earth franchise!

Interesting.
We have already done Saw, Purge, Hostel and are two films into the Final Destination films. For when the wife is working, I have just started a chronological Coen brothers run.

I think you need to get real here - no one is EVER going to have time to watch the middle earth franchise!

me and my daughter did it over two weekends a couple of months ago. I lost the will to live, she loved every minute of it and wants to do it again :eek:

me and my daughter did it over two weekends a couple of months ago. I lost the will to live, she loved every minute of it and wants to do it again :eek:
Lets hope this lockdown ends soon then

Another excellent article.

Marvel pre Iron Man is an interesting choice. The quality is all over the place. I would have said X2 is the best but Spiderman 2 is excellent too.

Star Wars...relatively unknown?! Give me a break!
Also Jedi is the best one, a.k.a. Star Wars Greatest Hits

Last edited:
Nice read but am I missing something or are you not actually naming the films?

Would be really good to have the films your talking about actually listed (especially where you're referring to "17 Marvel films" which to a non-Marvel fanatic like me means almost nothing!)

Just a thought

G

Nice read but am I missing something or are you not actually naming the films?

Would be really good to have the films your talking about actually listed (especially where you're referring to "17 Marvel films" which to a non-Marvel fanatic like me means almost nothing!)

Just a thought

G
Good note.
I think if I'd put a list of all the films in every franchise we'd end up with pages and pages to scroll through.

I guess on this occasion I'll point you to the Wikipedia entry:
Take a look at everything between Blade (1998) and Iron Man (2008)

There are similar entries for each of the franchises mentioned.

I'll definitely be making note for the future, though, thanks

Good note.
I think if I'd put a list of all the films in every franchise we'd end up with pages and pages to scroll through.

I guess on this occasion I'll point you to the Wikipedia entry:
Take a look at everything between Blade (1998) and Iron Man (2008)

There are similar entries for each of the franchises mentioned.

I'll definitely be making note for the future, though, thanks

No worries. Put them on one line separated by a comma.

Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001), The Two Towers (2002) and The Return of the King (2003)
The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey (2012), The Desolation of Smaug (2013), and The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

It's a PITA to do though, especially if you create them as links to reviews on this site ;)

G

By the time you finish watching all of the middle earth movies maybe this flirtation with police states will be over.

Good shout for Punisher: Warzone.

I much prefer it to Lundgren’s horribly dated effort and Thomas Jane’s watchable (if ultimately a bit bland) take on the character. Travolta was also in his slightly camp bad guy phase with the highlight being The Punisher’s fight with (behemoth-esque) The Russian. Warzone is much more fun than both of those in its gloriously OTT depiction of violence. Who doesn’t want to see (very well cast as Castle) Ray Stevenson punching right through a gimpy bad guy’s face?

Good shout for Punisher: Warzone.

I much prefer it to Lundgren’s horribly dated effort and Thomas Jane’s watchable (if ultimately a bit bland) take on the character. Travolta was also in his slightly camp bad guy phase with the highlight being The Punisher’s fight with (behemoth-esque) The Russian. Warzone is much more fun than both of those in its gloriously OTT depiction of violence. Who doesn’t want to see (very well cast as Castle) Ray Stevenson punching right through a gimpy bad guy’s face?
I broke my own rules and cheered in the cinema at this bit. Also the bit with the rocket launcher.

I broke my own rules and cheered in the cinema at this bit. Also the bit with the rocket launcher.

I do like it a lot but I feel it’d have been even better with a more experienced director - the action scenes feel a bit by-the-numbers at times. Imagine if someone like Verhoeven had directed it?

Star Wars...relatively unknown?! Give me a break!
Also Jedi is the best one, a.k.a. Star Wars Greatest Hits
I think you may have missed the irony in that part of the article ;)

I quite enjoyed the Hobbit films. OK nowhere near the overall quality or storytelling of the LOTR trilogy, but deffo more fun and lighthearted.

Truth be told, can't say I want to watch any of them anymore...seen them all toooooo many times now. Need a 10+ year hiatus before I return. Bit like Harry Potter as well. So many viewings (except the 1st..zzzz).

"The Star War was a small, relatively unknown film until professional Hollywood superfan JJ Abrams rescued it from obscurity with a new trilogy which kicked off in 2015."

This was awesome. If I had been drinking milk, I would've done a spit take!

The new Planet of the Apes fantastic trilogy took a rewatch, fitting for current pandemic. Think Rupert Wyatt as director is under rated, considering his limited resumé before apes, his Rise movie is the best of the bunch, such a great reboot, a 9.7/10.

Technically Matt Reeves' Dawn and War are amazing, but pacing is not as good. Great music from Michael Giacchino in the latter two films.

Interesting.
We have already done Saw, Purge, Hostel and are two films into the Final Destination films. For when the wife is working, I have just started a chronological Coen brothers run.

I also loved those romantic type of movies...

I've done the extended LOTR once but have never made it through the Hobbit trilogy.

I've done the extended LOTR once but have never made it through the Hobbit trilogy.
I did ....once. but I was very very drunk, so I slept through 27 hours of it

The new Planet of the Apes fantastic trilogy took a rewatch, fitting for current pandemic. Think Rupert Wyatt as director is under rated, considering his limited resumé before apes, his Rise movie is the best of the bunch, such a great reboot, a 9.7/10.

Technically Matt Reeves' Dawn and War are amazing, but pacing is not as good. Great music from Michael Giacchino in the latter two films.
I thought the 3rd was dreadful. The first was good, the second OK...but the third had less appeal then stepping in dog shit barefoot

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom