Sennheiser Ambeo Soundbar Review & Comments

Another great review Steve, thanks.

It seems that the Ambeo has the same issues as every other Atmos soundbar that doesn't actually have atmos speakers. Massive advantage is the number of HDMI ports, earc, etc.

This is a superbly specified and extremely well made soundbar, and if you stick some two-channel through it you'll be stunned at how good it sounds. However people need to manage their expectations when it comes to single unit soundbars. Evolution has ensured our brains are very good at determining where sounds actually emanate from, so it you genuinely want to hear sounds from behind you have to put speakers at the back.

I tried so many soundbars from Samsung, LG or even Bowers & Wilkins and kept my eye on this Sennheiser as well.

Honestly, these big bars do sound well and can fill your room and create a "fake" surround sound, but if you ever had a proper surround setup you never gonna like them... even the most expensive Ambeo.
But for rich people who only have a sofa and a TV in their living room Ambeo can be the excellent choice. :thumbsup:

Nice review! It's always interesting reading articles here. :)

As ever the problem is the height of the bar blocking the screen. I can't see any mention of the price. (using mobile)

As ever the problem is the height of the bar blocking the screen. I can't see any mention of the price. (using mobile)

SRP £2199

Great review- I'd loved to hear this soundbar in person. Sounds like if it had wireless rear spks it would probably merit a perfect '10' score. If you do not have side walls for sounds to reflect off them that will hinder some of the surround effects I'd assume. Also numerous reports state there is a lag or audio delay in some instances. I think Sennheiser are good at addressing issues like this tho.

I can't say I noticed any lag but you're right, a lack of side walls or soft furnishings and curtains will effect the sense of immersion. The same goes for your ceiling, if it's vaulted forget it.

Great review but how does it compare to the yamaha ysp 5600 ? Is it worth the upgrade ?

I think it's much better than the YSP-5600, which was good in its day but seems rather long in the tooth now.
Maybe they are working on a follow up it's about time :rolleyes: Concluding your review you give the samsung q90r soundbar the advantage over the Ambeo ?

Maybe they are working on a follow up it's about time :rolleyes: Concluding your review you give the samsung q90r soundbar the advantage over the Ambeo ?
Yes, the Samsung is a grand cheaper and has genuine surround and rear overhead channels. Believe me, that makes a massive difference when it comes to immersive audio.

Yes, the Samsung is a grand cheaper and has genuine surround and rear overhead channels. Believe me, that makes a massive difference when it comes to immersive audio.
Thanks for the reply and advice:smashin:

Grown tired of Soundbars quickly noting like a decent receiver /Amp and a pair of speakers the combo could be had for a lot less , most receivers have very nice features where you couldn't squeeze inside a soundbar .

Grown tired of Soundbars quickly noting like a decent receiver /Amp and a pair of speakers the combo could be had for a lot less , most receivers have very nice features where you couldn't squeeze inside a soundbar .
This is true, but some people have no choice and need to go with a soundbar solution.

if you stick some two-channel through it you'll be stunned at how good it sounds.

I have to say, I find myself looking at this and thinking of two channel hifi I could try for £2,200 that ultimately wouldn't take up much more room than this leviathan and would still sound pretty tidy for film and TV.

Can I just ask in the review you say one could purchase an AVR/speaker/ sub package for the same price. What would you recommend that would be wife friendly? Or would you just recommend the Samsung soundbar?
I purchased the Samsung Q90 soundbar and returned it as I couldn't get the bass to integrate well in my room. Probably with corner placement and only being a 4.5*3.5m living room!
Would the Ambeo maybe a better choice? Or is it too big for the room size too?

Last edited:
This is true, but some people have no choice and need to go with a soundbar solution.
Without saying Mr editor in your site you recommend a bunch of receivers & speakers with awesome features that surpasses any soundbar in sound quality . I guess I am too old for the sound bar.:rolleyes:

Without saying Mr editor in your site you recommend a bunch of receivers & speakers with awesome features that surpasses any soundbar in sound quality . I guess I am too old for the sound bar.:rolleyes:

Not sure what you're point is? No one is saying a soundbar is the ultimate in audio performance, but if the space dictates then a soundbar is a great solution. It might not even be a money issue, so why not splash on a top end feature pact soundbar if that is all you can fit in your space?

Can I just ask in the review you say one could purchase an AVR/speaker/ sub package for the same price. What would you recommend that would be wife friendly? Or would you just recommend the Samsung soundbar?
I purchased the Samsung Q90 soundbar and returned it as I couldn't get the bass to integrate well in my room. Probably with corner placement and only being a 4.5*3.5m living room!
Would the Ambeo maybe a better choice? Or is it too big for the room size too?

For speakers you could get something like the Kef T105 which maybe more wife friendly than this sound bar if you mount on the wall and hide the cables.

Then a sub £1000 receiver, plenty great options to choose from. Maybe the top slimline model Marantz do NR1710 if you want to keep as wife friendly as possible.

Reviews occasionally frustrate me on this site when reviewing high end items in a specific product category and I always wonder how much value/price factors into the review ratings? This is an awful lot for a single box solution considering it's almost £1000 more than it's nearest rivals. I've written before in other posts that I feel the reviews don't seem to really weigh the value/cost aspect enough. Or rather I'm never clear on what part it plays.

What I'm trying to say is if you're paying £1000 more for 2% or even 10% improvement in a product that costs £2000 is that in any way good VFM? How can a product be given 9/10 when I'd suggest the VFM should be near 3 or 4/10, not the 8/10 given and the overall score should probably be nearer 7/10. The law of diminishing returns in AV has never been greater when even low end kit now gives you 95% of the performance of high end kit in most categories while costing 1/10th the price.

Value is of course relative to its peers, relative to the person buying and relative to overal cost of the item coupled with the delta with reguards to how much better it is for how much money. Reading this review I really struggle with the use of "Value" or VFM as a metric at all because frankly I don't think you can really ever give any higher end product a high score in this category. That is unless you clearly set out the criteria you're judging that value against - otherwise it's a meaningless metric which has no "value".

G

Reviews occasionally frustrate me on this site when reviewing high end items in a specific product category and I always wonder how much value/price factors into the review ratings? This is an awful lot for a single box solution considering it's almost £1000 more than it's nearest rivals. I've written before in other posts that I feel the reviews don't seem to really weigh the value/cost aspect enough. Or rather I'm never clear on what part it plays.

What I'm trying to say is if you're paying £1000 more for 2% or even 10% improvement in a product that costs £2000 is that in any way good VFM? How can a product be given 9/10 when I'd suggest the VFM should be near 3 or 4/10, not the 8/10 given and the overall score should probably be nearer 7/10. The law of diminishing returns in AV has never been greater when even low end kit now gives you 95% of the performance of high end kit in most categories while costing 1/10th the price.

Value is of course relative to its peers, relative to the person buying and relative to overal cost of the item coupled with the delta with reguards to how much better it is for how much money. Reading this review I really struggle with the use of "Value" or VFM as a metric at all because frankly I don't think you can really ever give any higher end product a high score in this category. That is unless you clearly set out the criteria you're judging that value against - otherwise it's a meaningless metric which has no "value".

G

It's a difficult one though and I see what you're saying. What if though you're looking for the best soundbar money can buy with Dolby Atmos and certain features, the this would be value for money to you?

To me it's not and I couldn't justify the money on just a soundbar but hey ho :)

For speakers you could get something like the Kef T105 which maybe more wife friendly than this sound bar if you mount on the wall and hide the cables.

Then a sub £1000 receiver, plenty great options to choose from. Maybe the top slimline model Marantz do NR1710 if you want to keep as wife friendly as possible.
thanks for the reply

Excellent review Steve.I have listened to one of these in the flesh and will be receiving it next week.I currently have a 5.1.2 avr/speaker set up and previously owned the hwn-950 7.1.4 soundbar.Whilst the ambeo lacks the rear capabilities,what it does up front,at the sides and up above, are simply stunning.Easily as good as the avr set up and better than the samsung IMO.I find it isolates individual sound and places them so accurately,it makes a pleasure to listen to.I cannot wait to get my hands on it next week.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom