Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Review & Comments

I’ve just started thinking about obtaining another set of Headphones after my old faithful Grado 325’s recently came to an unexpected sticky end. I have an Iphone for the first time as well so obviously a wireless set is now of interest. Presumably the Sony WH-1000 would be another obvious comparison? Have you any experience of that set as well to liken with the two mentioned in the review?

i was curious why Ed only referenced against the P7's and not the XM3's as they are still probably the best N/C headphones on the market.

Would you be reviewing the Sennheiser's PXC-550 II as well @Ed Selley ? I have the Mk1 and they are quite good. Never liked the Momentum signature as it sounded too warm to me. I haven't tried these new ones though.

Love the momentum sound. I've had my M2's for around 4 years and they get a bashing everyday - may just invest in these if I can find a bargain.

I came in here to raise the same question, about the odd lack of XM3 comparison, noothers have pointed out. Aren't they considered to have the best ANC in the game (he says, wearing them on an inaudible train)?

Still, great review. The one thing that lets the Sony down, to my mind, is SQ - especially if one prefers a less mellow/warm sound than that provided by the Sony. Not to say they're bad, but it's good to see alternatives. Still searching for the best of both worlds - great ANC and SQ.

Are later versions of these more comfortable? I have the very first incarnation of the momentums and I find them uncomfortable after a short while.

Are later versions of these more comfortable? I have the very first incarnation of the momentums and I find them uncomfortable after a short while.

I find that with momentums, it's important to get the headband adjustment spot on. Otherwise, I find that my ears/top of my head can get sore after a small while.

Points of correction, Ed. The M3s can both be used without noise cancelling (the switch has Anc off in its three way positioning and 'off' is pushed to the top) and passively - one needs to hold down the multifunction when unfolding the headphones to turn off the headphones. This is a significant difference from the B&W PX7, as it means they can be used wired when tbe battery dies (the PX7s can't).

Also, the M3s do not have Aptx HD as a codec.

Finally, there is no mention of Tile functionality built into the M3s.

Good review otherwise and a good read.

Last edited:
Points of correction, Ed. The M3s can both be used without noise cancelling (the switch has Anc off in its three way positioning and 'off' is pushed to the top) and passively - one needs to hold down the multifunction when unfolding the headphones to turn off the headphones. This is a significant difference from the B&W PX7, as it means they can be used wired when tbe battery dies (the PX7s can't).

Also, the M3s do not have Aptx HD as a codec.

Finally, there is no mention of Tile functionality built into the M3s.

Good review otherwise and a good read.

Also, there is a "passthrough" mode by fully sliding the switch past the ANC On mode.

Bought these before Christmas to replace my old B&W PX. After spending over an hour in Richer Sounds listening to the Sony XM3s (2nd choice, great ANC and feature set, not quite good enough sound despite lots of playing with the EQ), Dali IO-6 (terribly bass light), B&W PX7 (not special enough in the sound department, and felt cheap in the hand), Technics F70 (just awful sound), these absolutely shone to me. Yes, ANC isn't quite where it should be, and battery life could be better, but the sound was head and shoulders above the others, and the only one that could actually give a visceral feeling when cranked up (I know, bad idea). Probably the happiest I've been with a pair of headphones for some time.

I'm still a little confused so please bear with me... Can these headphones be used as good old fashioned wired headphones with no noise cancellation and no app etc?

I'm still a little confused so please bear with me... Can these headphones be used as good old fashioned wired headphones with no noise cancellation and no app etc?

Yes. You can either use them wired without charging the battery, or, if the battery is charged, you unfold the headphones (which normally switches the headphones on) holding down the multifunction button on the right ear cup ( which turns the headphones off) and this means they can be used wired just as a pair of regular, passive headphones. Ed's review misses this important function, as the headphones don't have a conventional on/off button, using the folding hinge instead to engage the electronics. Hence, my correction.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of these about 4 weeks ago. I use them purely for home when I'm doing my paperwork or want to chill around the house. The noise cancelling works perfectly when I need to cut the usual background house noise out of the wife and 2 kids.
They do sound great and I preferred them over the Sony wh 1000 wxm3's as they seemed to have a slightly better soundstage and the instruments in the background of a track just seemed slightly clearer and noticeable but as you know everyone is different so its all a matter of personal preference.
The Sony's were noticeably lighter, however, I wear these for 2-3 hours at a time and forget they are on, the comfort and fit are great.
What I absolutely love about these, is when you do need to take them off to talk or just stop for a moment, the stop-start functionality of pausing a song mid track and re-starting where you left off, by just removing them is a great thing. I would also add that taking phone calls on them (they have a built in mic) is crystal clear and better than taking a call on your phone. Bluetooth works great all around my house and my phone or computer doesn't need to be anywhere near me when the headphones are on. If you work from home, these are a dream.
Personally, I would never wear them out just because big headphones on a journey ain't my thing and these are fairly big so I can't comment on what the noise cancellation is like when its really noisy.
If you want them for the office or home like me, they are fantastic.
These were a costly purchase for me but I have no regrets at all and have not been disappointed in the slightest.
I managed to get a pair of these at Richer Sounds and just by pure luck, Amazon, on the day, had them for £290 which Richer Sounds price matched. Big up RS. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and you won't regret buying them. 9/10 for me.

I have the M2 On Ear with noise cancelling. I actually like it that the noise cancelling isn't the absolute best; the Bose 35 or Sony make me feel sick and unnatural. I've flown thousands of miles with my and they are plenty good enough noise cancellation for on a place.

I hope the M3 also still allows for the combination of using wired together with noise cancellation. That is how I use them with in-flight entertainment systems. Great option.

Despite a lot of use, the build quality of the M2 was so good that I have no need for the M3...

'I hope the M3 also still allows for the combination of using wired together with noise cancellation. That is how I use them with in-flight entertainment systems. Great option.'

Yes, they do. Agree it is a great option. I also have to say that the M3's noise cancellation is an upgrade on the M2s (less white noise and more effective cancellation, plus three settings in terms of types of ANC), but, even on Max setting, the M3 avoids any sense of 'cabin pressure'.

I have the M2 On Ear with noise cancelling. I actually like it that the noise cancelling isn't the absolute best; the Bose 35 or Sony make me feel sick and unnatural. I've flown thousands of miles with my and they are plenty good enough noise cancellation for on a place.

I hope the M3 also still allows for the combination of using wired together with noise cancellation. That is how I use them with in-flight entertainment systems. Great option.

Despite a lot of use, the build quality of the M2 was so good that I have no need for the M3...
Can relate to that sick feeling, I tried these M3’s and felt an unnatural pressure, something I didn’t feel with the px’s or Sony’s, even with the NC turned off.

I also found them a bit boomy even with the EQ slap bang in the middle (easily altered via the though)

For anyone interested I’m settled on the B&O H9 3rd gen. Best all rounder in my opinion. That cliche about a veil being lifted springs to mind when listening with these.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom