setting up my receiver properly

henerz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Current set up is Sony STR-DN1050 receiver, with speakers effectively in a 3.0 set up - all fairly inexpensive Tannoy Mercurys. I have it set up with the auto calibration mic but am still fiddling around with the other settings. Tbh I don't really know what I'm doing and think I could probably get better sound out of it.

One thing I find irritating is the volume seems to vary itself - presumably something to do with auto volume levelling in the receiver? But I do quite like this feature, its just a bit strong when just listening to music e.g. spotify direct through the receiver.
Then there's allsorts of presets - Neo6 cinema, Dolby pro logic and all that which I don't really understand. Is there one that I should just leave it on? Or different ones for music and video.

Or is there some kind of guide a bit like picture perfect for receivers?

80% of usage is just normal TV programmes, the rest mostly spotify music.
Thanks

Apologies if this is very obvious.

I'd say it will more than likely be the broadcaster which is at fault rather than the amp. Consult your amps manual to see if it has some form of intelligent volume control which should help.

Broadcasters are notorious for it. I call it an "invasion of my privacy" and hate it, but its something they're all guilty of and its usually when the adverts are on so they grab your attention :rolleyes:

As for switching sources, that can happen depending on the quality of the material and isn't actually anything to do with the amp

Neo6 and Pro Logic are two upmixing modes that are designed to bring into use all the speakers connected, a maximum of 7.1. It will convert a 5.1 soundtrack and bring in the extra speakers to add an extra dimension. With just having a 3.0 you do not want or need to use either. The only real difference using them would be to bring in the centre channel for a stereo broadcast. I would certainly not engage any upmixer for stereo music.

You have to configure the 1050 for a 3.0 set up so make sure you just have those three speakers active on the set up screen. As for the difference in volume from broadcasts, we all have to suffer that as it's down to the broadcast itself.

Thank you both. With regards the volume, I know about the whole broadcasting adverts louder thing, but its like the receiver auto adjusts the volume itself too aggressively sometimes, especially if listening to music. So do I just turn this auto volume feature off?

That's explained about the upmixing modes thanks!

I like to turn off the calibration type in the settings. I find having the sound opitmizer set to normal helps with bass especially if like me you're not running a sub.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom