Seven Worlds, One Planet 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Thanks for the review Cas. I watched one episode then said im not watching anymore as i need the 4k bluray. david attenborough to me is a god. and this documentary series commisioned by the BBC (or indeed many of recent years are absolutely breathtaking in quality of sound,vision education and truly is beautiful. really derserves the unmissable badge without a doubt and should be in everyones collection.
David Attenborough's legacy wil go down in history as legendary and inspiring. I can't see anyone ever reaching his heights. I for one will collect this box set to add to his already outstanding series. This is what 4K UHD is all about.

Can anyone who owns this on 4k disc or can stream in 4k via iplayer check something please ?

In the Antarctica episode, at around the 5:18 mark, there's a shot where the camera pans over a group of seals. I'm seeing quite bad image noise around the seals, especially the ones in the bottom right of the picture. Can anyone else see this ?

So far I've tried the following combination of devices :

Panasonic UB820>Denon X3600H>Optoma UHD51
Panasonic UB820>Marantz NR1509>LG OLED65B7
iPlayer app on LGOLED65B7

I've also tried streaming the HD version from a Sky Q minibox via the Denon X3600H to the Optoma UHD51 and there is far less noise, so it seems this issue is limited to the 4k version.

You went to all that effort because one shot looks off?

Thanks for the helpful reply. "All that effort" ?? It took me 2 minutes to try the scene in question in each room.

And it may be one scene, but I've only watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode, so there may be other examples.

I'd just like to know if this is an issue with the program itself or something to do with my setup, or if there are any settings I can change to minimise the issue.

Last edited:
Can anyone who owns this on 4k disc or can stream in 4k via iplayer check something please ?

In the Antarctica episode, at around the 5:18 mark, there's a shot where the camera pans over a group of seals. I'm seeing quite bad image noise around the seals, especially the ones in the bottom right of the picture. Can anyone else see this ?

So far I've tried the following combination of devices :

Panasonic UB820>Denon X3600H>Optoma UHD51
Panasonic UB820>Marantz NR1509>LG OLED65B7
iPlayer app on LGOLED65B7

I've also tried streaming the HD version from a Sky Q minibox via the Denon X3600H to the Optoma UHD51 and there is far less noise, so it seems this issue is limited to the 4k version.
I just checked the 4K disc and I'm seeing it too on my setup^^

Currently at £22.49 at zoom (using code BLUEME25) for 48hours only.

Same, nearly got it for Christmas but will get involved now.

I've finished watching this disk now and it is as epic as the review states. Outstanding picture quality and fantastic storytelling.

The only downside is that it makes you really hate the human race; we're destroying our world :(

Finished watching this today
Are there any BBC series out this year?

Probably been answered, but with the 4K disk versions, do you get the bbc logo on the screen? If not, I think I’ll have to get this...

IMG_20200502_121001.jpg
MVIMG_20200502_121203.jpg
I have been watching it this week,it is not a landmark event as the first Planet Earth,but the formula is still as fascinating as ever and the content and the presentation impeccable.Maybe the best WCG use i have ever seen,here are some phone camera shots.The image is even richer,sharper and deeper in room.

View attachment 1231621View attachment 1231622
I realise you said the image is far superior in person, buy just wondering if your phone cam crushed blacks, colour and brightness? Reason I ask is I recently watched this and some of the images I took with my phone cam seemed to have come out better than similar shots taken by you.

Probably been answered, but with the 4K disk versions, do you get the bbc logo on the screen? If not, I think I’ll have to get this...
Nope. Didn't notice BBC logo on screen.

View attachment 1292517View attachment 1292518
I realise you said the image is far superior in person, buy just wondering if your phone cam crushed blacks, colour and brightness? Reason I ask is I recently watched this and some of the images I took with my phone cam seemed to have come out better than similar shots taken by you.
Even a DSLR camera cannot take a shot as good as the real thing and my screen is 120 inches.

Even a DSLR camera cannot take a shot as good as the real thing and my screen is 120 inches.
You're right. There's no sense comparing, especially since your screen is 120 inches.

I just watched this, I'm a huge fan of all of Attenborough's Nature documentaries and this did not disappoint.

However there's one thing in particular bothering me about this series. Is it just me or did some of the ocean sequences in this series resemble very closely similar sequences in his 2017 series Blue Planet 2? I think they may have even reused footage from Blue Planet 2, I'm thinking of a particular closeup of sea urchins munching at kelp and a few other shots.

There's another sequence where false killer whales are chasing bottle-nose dolphins, Attenborough's narration states that the false killers are hunting their prey, then it cuts to a different sequence with different species. The same sequence (same footage?) is in BP2 except the sequence continues and shows the dolphins are not actually being chased as prey, it's all a big game and the two species are rather friendly which each other.

Anyone else notice this or just me?

I finished this recently. It has, without question, the best looking images I have ever seen in my dedicated room. Jaw dropping indeed. The content wasn't bad either.

If you are a fan of David Attenborough, I recommend Zooquest in Colour on Blu. Very interesting and amazing images from the equipment from the period.

Martin

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom