Shallow Driver BOSS Build

Congratulations, excellent work.

I liked it so much that i decided that i want to build something like this in a near future :D

A quick question, i assume the semi-balls are there for a reason, to provide support while at the same time "transmitting" and absorbing energy? Is there any alternatives more "professional", for example, like these?
- Rubber Foot / Extra Large

Congratulations, excellent work.

I liked it so much that i decided that i want to build something like this in a near future :D

A quick question, i assume the semi-balls are there for a reason, to provide support while at the same time "transmitting" and absorbing energy? Is there any alternatives more "professional", for example, like these?
- Rubber Foot / Extra Large

According to guidelines that I've seen over on AVS:

The isolators can be any pieces of soft rubber that's 1" thick "after compression". The "after compression" is important because you want to give the drivers about 1/2" of breathing room between their faces and the floor. 1" tall rubber while everyone is sitting on the platform is best. This will give you 1" clearance between the bottom of the 3/4" plywood and the floor. With the foam face on the JBL's being 1/2" thick, this gives them 1/2" clearance between that foam face and the floor. You also want the rubber pieces to be no more than about 1-2" in diameter. The less contact with the floor the better. This is shown in a drawing below for visually oriented readers like me. A link to isolators is provided below as an example of something that has been tested and works great with a BOSS. The key is the durometer or softness of the isolator (20-40 durometer is good). Lastly, all the above guidelines are for the mini-riser BOSS shown in the picture below.

So yes, they look good. In fact I found them on ebay only having purchased the balls otherwise I may have used them myself. At the end of the day it doesnt really matter since you will likely never see them.

Yeah they're not that soft - the softer the feet, the more wobble you get :)

I think my carpet is devouring some of the wobble, do you think a thinner piece of ply for the feet and tubes to rest on (like it was a hard floor) would help?

So you've cut out wood for the inner tubes to sit on and those plastic cups for the rubber feet?

I feel another trip to B&Q coming...:confused:
Yup :D

D6KRK7i.jpg

So you've cut out wood for the inner tubes to sit on and those plastic cups for the rubber feet?

I feel another trip to B&Q coming...:confused:

My set ups the similar to richardsim7 (discs cut then stuck to the inner tubes). If you do it this way your more guaranteed no air leakage which helps the 'BOSS hover' :)

My set ups the similar to richardsim7 (discs cut then stuck to the inner tubes). If you do it this way your more guaranteed no air leakage which helps the 'BOSS hover' :)

That's the smart way to do it, I see the logic. Don't fancy more cutting though.😢

I might get a piece of wood the size of the platform and sandwich the feet and tubes between them. Not sure how thin a piece of wood i can get away with that can take the weight without bending etc. I would imagine since the weight is distributed over a large surface area it shouldn't matter right?

Cheers Rich, trying to avoid adding extra height if possible. The current height is the sweet spot for me I reckon.

That's the smart way to do it, I see the logic. Don't fancy more cutting though.😢

I might get a piece of wood the size of the platform and sandwich the feet and tubes between them. Not sure how thin a piece of wood i can get away with that can take the weight without bending etc. I would imagine since the weight is distributed over a large surface area it shouldn't matter right?

That's how I had mine set up at first (full sheet) I was just using 3mm ply. Since changed to discs just so I know the driver/inner tube and wood disc are as air tight as possible. I think @paulst10 was/is using a full sheet of ply with his build?

Or you could buy ready made discs: Clear Acrylic Perspex® Round Circular Plastic Discs - 5mm Thick Various Sizes | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
That's how I had mine set up at first (full sheet) I was just using 3mm ply. Since changed to discs just so I know the driver/inner tube and wood disc are as air tight as possible. I think @paulst10 was/is using a full sheet of ply with his build?

Or you could buy ready made discs: Clear Acrylic Perspex® Round Circular Plastic Discs - 5mm Thick Various Sizes | eBay
I went with 3mm hardwood ply for the base, And with a full size base as the discs added height to the sofa and made it feel like a rocking chair. With the full base the Iso feet remain in contact better.

That clear acrylic stuff sounds good to me. Great find. I'll keep this option as a potential backup.

tbh it'll sink into the carpet/squish the tubes, you won't really notice any height difference

Are you guys using double sided carpet tape to seal the inner tube?

I went with 3mm hardwood ply for the base, And with a full size base as the discs added height to the sofa and made it feel like a rocking chair. With the full base the Iso feet remain in contact better.

This is sounding more and more like the path I want to try first. Have the shop cut the wood to size and I'll do the rest. I take it you ain't using those plastic cup things any more since you've got the full base?

Can't believe you all are getting away with 5 and 3mm ply! Sounds perfect!:eek:

Last edited:
Yep, I do both surfaces - platform and disc.

Nice, cheers.

An interesting observation and something I believe I've seen you mention elsewhere Wull, I don't have to crank up the system so loud to get good tactile response anymore. In effect it means I'm getting cleaner sound with lower volume levels as the system overall doesn't have to work so hard for me to achieve a satisfying balance between loudness and great tactile feedback. :smashin:

@MI55ION , its starts now, and its your fault ...
I'm going to use the Hideaway Theater for questions and once the built starts, i will create a detailed build thread :)

@MI55ION I like the fabric covering better than paint. Mine really needs a few more coats, but that looks much more professional. Can I ask where you got it?

Last edited:
@MI55ION , its starts now, and its your fault ...
I'm going to use the Hideaway Theater for questions and once the built starts, i will create a detailed build thread :)

That question you asked about its response on avs. Don't know if you've got your answer already as its been a while but I finally got a chance to take some REW sweeps and can confirm in my setup it has zero effect on the overall room response.

... I finally got a chance to take some REW sweeps and can confirm in my setup it has zero effect on the overall room response.

Thank you :)

This was confirmed on AVS.

That's why i'm going with a HooverBossDisc, instead of a BOSS build.
I already sent the plans to the builder, i'm expecting to get the build in around 3 weeks (along with my speaker cabinets that only took 2 years to build :D)

Thank you for your help, i will create a thread here once i have everything ready :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom