SharePoint issue since Jan 2020

millerlfc

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Any advice appreciated here - we use SharePoint at work (I know, I know) which was fine up to December 2019 but now in January there is an issue that Word files can't be opened in the desktop app from SharePoint. It just keeps repeatedly asking for a user's SharePoint credentials (which they have already entered to get to this point). The files open OK for editing in the browser app from SharePoint, but the browser app has reduced functionality.

There is a workaround as you can download the file from SharePoint, then open in and make changes using the desktop app, then reupload it back to SharePoint. But it's very long-winded considering previously you could just open in the desktop app directly from SharePoint, and any changes could be saved directly.

Try this first to see if it fixes the issue and let us know how you get on
  • Open Word
  • Click the File tab.
  • Select Options to open the window shown directly below.
  • Click Trust Center on the left of the window.
  • Press the Trust Center Settings button to open further options.
  • Click Protected View on the left of the Trust Center window.
  • Then deselect all the Enable Protected View settings, and press the OK button.

Have just tried deselecting all those settings but unfortunately no change, still getting the same login request when in SharePoint and trying to open a file via the desktop app option. (Same thing happens if I open Word first and from there try to access a file in SharePoint from the File > Open).

If I (or anyone else) enters their login details the same login screen just flashes up again straight away.

SharePoint screenshot.JPG

Are your office account and SharePoint account using the same account and login credentials?

Yes office account and SharePoint account both the same, and same login credentials for both.

Are you using any particular browser?

Make sure your browser includes SharePoint Online within its trusted sites.

Have tried IE, Firefox, Chrome and same issue in all of them (SharePoint already added to trusted sites).

Strangely it still works OK on a MacBook, it's only on Windows desktops/laptops where we are now having the problem.

MS never cease to amaze me at what they can do with their services running on their own platforms, which they are now depending on for revenue. I will take a look at what else I can find.

Should have asked. Which version of Office/SharePoint are you using?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom