Shaun of the Dead 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Simon, could you just clarify about the Audio please? I see a mention of Dolby Atmos( on the tags/banners at the beginning) and the SQ review stating DTS-X..many thanks for a great review. 👍

That's my bad, I mistakenly added the Atmos tag. It's DTS:X as per Simon's review. Changed now.

That's my bad, I mistakenly added the Atmos tag. It's DTS:X as per Simon's review. Changed now.
Thanks Cas, much appreciated. You and simon keep up the excellent work. Spending my hard earned on these discs keeps my food bill and water rates at a minimum:thumbsup:

Excellent Review. While I still don't think I want to shell out for the Trilogy, will have to pop this one onto the Rental list

I would have already bought the trilogy but the
price is £60 which is double the Amazon US price. Someone had even commented on it.

I like the movie but it’s not one I particularly feel I need to own in 4K. Probably stick with my Blu Ray for this.

Any way of getting this on its own? Can only see it as a trilogy and, after the poor Hot Fuzz review, don’t want the full set in 4K.

Any way of getting this on its own? Can only see it as a trilogy and, after the poor Hot Fuzz review, don’t want the full set in 4K.

It will be available region free in the US individually in November but currently not in the UK.

Last edited:
UX0RtFe.jpg

As I mentioned elsewhere I'm hoping to get it for a bit less than £17 delivered from either New Zealand or Australia.

Just need to wait and see and keep an eye on the £'s value.

Finally watched this last night and the picture quality is a definite step up from the Blu Ray. It's not that there is suddenly a lot more detail or wow colours. But increased contrast does make a visible difference and overall it just looks like a much better picture. The audio is DTS-x. That's really all you need to know if you have heard other DTS-x tracks before :) A massive upgrade on the Blu Ray.

Finally snapped up this 4K trilogy using yet another free 30 day Prime trial, at around £22 for the three films.

Having only watched Shaun of the Dead 4K, I have to say that going off memory (I've seen the movie countless times on the 1080p blu ray release), that the image is surprising (because it's by Universal and is a cash in release) better by some margin mainly due to HDR/WCG, and decent level of natural grain and detail, in spite of it upscaled transfer.

However, I always thought that the original DTSHD Master Audio 5.1 audio was an absolute winner. For some years, I watched it more than once using the same setup with the DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer, AKA faux-Atmos), and I'm not sure this was an upgrade. In fact, some moments seemed better to my ear with the 5.1 upmixed, over this native DTS: X track. Strange and disappointing.

Most people, including critical reviewers, seem to focus more on image and sound, I've noticed.

So, whilst the 4K image could be better for the format (it's still a step up over the 1080p transfer), it's a shame the DTS: X mix isn't as good as everyone seems to make out. Perhaps they never used either DSU or Neural: X for comparison before giving their rating?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom