Shazam! Review & Comments

Saw it last night and totally agree with Kumari's review. 8/10 - a fun movie that doesn't take itself too seriously.

What a charmer! Really enjoyed this. Fun from beginning till end. Zack Levi was an absolute hoot & seemed like he was having a blast, great kids too & Mark Strong gave really good bad guy, felt like a film from the 80’s/early 90’s & I mean that in a good way.
Heart, humour & Heroics...everything I want from a film of this type.
8/10

Much wrong with it for a 3 or 4 year old?They're tough as nails.

That is always going to be a tough question for anyone else to answer as the best person to judge what is acceptable for your own children is always going to be yourself. I wouldn't personally have shown it to my son at that age but I did think that it was a movie that could quite easily be edited for a bit of swearing and the odd graphic scene (12A graphic of course) and you wouldn't actually lose all that much from the overall effect so it could quite easily be accessible to a younger audience. It was a fun movie with bits that appealed to the kids and the adults in the audience separately along with plenty of parts that appealed to everyone.

Just seen it with my son...really a nice surprise!!! Very refreshing and dare I say “realistic” approach to this kind of situation...
Not same league as aquaman but very enjoyable indeed. Solid 8 indeed
Note: didn’t know dc did a scene at the end like marvel...nearly missed it leaving the cinema...stay there

Big Marvel fan here, went to see it on the fly, and ended up really enjoying it!

Best entry in the DC film lineup by far.

Thinking only Marvel did the post credit scenes I didn’t stay to see anything.

"Shazam! manages to give a little bit of life-force to the flagging super hero trend..."

Errrm...nice review but really?

Looking forward to this. Only solo Captain Marvel picture I'll be bothering to see at the cinema this year.

Watched it last night at cinema with my 8y old son,it felt like i was kid again

Looking forward to this. Only solo Captain Marvel picture I'll be bothering to see at the cinema this year.

I'm not that interested interested in either Captain Marvel film I'm afraid. I started a CM thread on this film back in 2008 but the thread title obviously had to be changed to Shazam. The clips I've seen look terrible. A kind of superhero version of Big and/or Vice Versa. I gather the other CM is heavily tied into the last Avengers film which I didn't care for. I'd have probably enjoyed a "straight" version of this CM.

Bri

I came out of it a bit confused. I didnt like the main character, just too stereotypical and annoying but some jokes landed well, although most felt like they were trying too hard, and playing too safe. I was bored during large sections in the middle of the movie. But it paid off at points.

I would give it a 6/10, close but no cigar.

Really wanted to like it.

Watched this last night and also found it a bit of a mixed bag which might’ve benefited from a less bloated edit.

There’s some amusing moments which made me chuckle but I found Levi’s goofy antics rather hit & miss, just as I did when he starred in Chuck, so probably laughed more at his sidekick’s quips.

The action sequences were also disappointing due to the CGI looking like poor versions of those used in Tom Cruise’s failed reboot of the Mummy franchise.

A family friendly Kick-Farce: 6/10

The action sequences were also disappointing due to the CGI looking like poor versions of those used in Tom Cruise’s failed reboot of the Mummy franchise.

It only had a budget of $100mil so that would probably explain why. That said, it's already made over that in global box office takings.

I haven't watched it yet so can't comment on the movie.

Saw this yesterday, I didnt hold much hope but was pleasantly surprised. Zachary played the part of child hero well enough to be entertaining but not too annoying, Mark did his usual sterling job as a bad guy and the rest of the cast were ok (the walking stick guy started to grate a few times but not enough to detract from the fun). Its a watch and forget kind of film, enjoyable but no cigar.

Post credit scene definitely suggests a follow up so this now has a big learning curve to get up for the next one to bring it into the realms of serious blockbuster material.

6/10 or 7/10

I'm not that interested interested in either Captain Marvel film I'm afraid. I started a CM thread on this film back in 2008 but the thread title obviously had to be changed to Shazam. The clips I've seen look terrible. A kind of superhero version of Big and/or Vice Versa. I gather the other CM is heavily tied into the last Avengers film which I didn't care for. I'd have probably enjoyed a "straight" version of this CM.

Bri
I've been looking for an excuse to go to the cinema lately, and I'm in the mood for a popcorn flick so I think I'll give this a go today. Have somehow avoided clips and trailers though, so I'll be going in blind (apart from the good reviews and word of mouth; also, advertisement posters). The comments section on the Marvel CM movie review however, sounded like it wasn't required watching for Endgame, and as reviews were lukewarm, among other things, I thought I'd wait for that one on BD. I wish I could have saved money and done the same with Black Panther, but that did turn out to prep for Infinity War.

My son wants to go and see it again which is fine by me but is there any point in going the full hog and booking Imax 3D this time? I'll happily pay the extra if it justifies it but there has been the odd movie over the years where it has been a bit of a waste to be honest.

Just back from seeing this and really enjoyed it.

I don't think I've seen Zachary Levi in anything before, but he was great! Very funny.

My 7-y-o wants to see it but I think it's a bit too scary in places, particularly the first reveal in the boardroom.

My son wants to go and see it again which is fine by me but is there any point in going the full hog and booking Imax 3D this time? I'll happily pay the extra if it justifies it but there has been the odd movie over the years where it has been a bit of a waste to be honest.
Don't know about IMAX, but it looks like the 3D is only OK according to this:
To 3D Or Not To 3D: Buy The Right Shazam! Ticket

I did see it today, but not in 3D, as my local multiplexes no longer show 3D on the largest screens - quite the poxy ones in fact. I think WB are still releasing 3D BDs so hopefully I'll catch it then.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom