Should a PPC Mac be able to use the Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulrichburke

Novice Member
Reaction score
Dear Anyone.

I don't know much about Macs, hence the question. I bought this PPC Mac dead cheap because I saw it had Logic Pro on it and I wanted to practice using it. So I Ethernet-cabled it to the Internet - and it just dies. It can't play any YouTube vids, it can take 8-10 minutes to open ONE E_mail(!!), any site with a picture on it's instant beachball-of-doom.... And completely forget about Eve Online.

That thing must have cost LOADS when it came out (it's a Mac!) Surely it should be able to surf the Net? I've no idea what to tweak or where to find anything tweakable but surely there's some way to make it surf the Net?

I know people are going to say 'You stole Logic, you're not the original buyer.... You don't have the right to use Logic...' I got all that in the other forum I posted this in. But really it's not about that. It's just I don't see why this beastie can't use the Net when my equally ancient desktop PC's perfectly happy with it. Surely expensive Macs can't be THAT badly programmed, can they? (My XP SP3 handles Eve Online just fine, thanks!)

Yours puzzledly

Chris

What OS has been put on it? Which version Of PPC - G5 or earlier etc? I’m assuming the Logic Pro part is irrelevant and won’t comment on that.

edit - and bear in mind these are at least 2007 devices I believe...... the network cards back then may only have been 56k for dial-up. I’m not sure on the specs but I don’t think you should expect performance anything like a modern PC.

Let us know which one it is or a pic and we might be able to help. For what it’s worth it won’t be much good for practice anyway as the softwares so out of date.

You asked pretty much the same question back in May. Then never responded to the replies you got.
You seem to have a theme of buying old tech and complaining things then don’t work. If you need something older to run specific old software, fine. Just don’t expect it to do modern day web surfing etc.

Dear Anyone.

I don't know much about Macs, hence the question. I bought this PPC Mac dead cheap because I saw it had Logic Pro on it and I wanted to practice using it. So I Ethernet-cabled it to the Internet - and it just dies. It can't play any YouTube vids, it can take 8-10 minutes to open ONE E_mail(!!), any site with a picture on it's instant beachball-of-doom.... And completely forget about Eve Online.

That thing must have cost LOADS when it came out (it's a Mac!) Surely it should be able to surf the Net? I've no idea what to tweak or where to find anything tweakable but surely there's some way to make it surf the Net?
Chris
Quite sure you’ll be asking this again in a month or 2 after ignoring responses as per your other threads. So I’ll be putting you on my ignore list I’m afraid.

@ulrichburke - I’ll close this thread as a duplicate leaving the other thread for any furs ther discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom