Should I get a White or Grey Projector Screen? (Epson EH-TW9400)

DanielMc96

Novice Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some opinions on what colour screen I should get for my projector the Epson EH-TW9400.
It has 2600 lumens and a contrast ratio of 1,200,000 : 1 (I have no idea what the contrast ratio means to be honest)
We have our projector in the living room so there is usually some ambient light even though we do have blackout blinds and usually use it to watch sports on, although I do like to watch movies at night.
I have heard that grey is better when you have some ambient light and white is better for totally dark rooms but I would like more opinions.
I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Depends on your budget really.
I have some ambient light and use a React 2.1 tab tension with my Epson 7400, this screen gives improved contrast and able to view with some light in the room, they’re not cheap though.
I purchased a used one for £500
The current version is react 3.0 available from idealav and other sellers.

definitely recommend the react screens for lounge type use - I have been using my react screen for over 6 years now and will use it till it breaks and with then buy a new one with the updated material

not the cheapest but you buy right and you buy once

I used mine for over 2000 hours with an Epson 9300 and it is a great combination

if you can get a good pre owned one then that would be a great result

if you want new then I can personally recommend Al at idealav

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on what colour screen I should get for my projector the Epson EH-TW9400.
It has 2600 lumens and a contrast ratio of 1,200,000 : 1 (I have no idea what the contrast ratio means to be honest)
We have our projector in the living room so there is usually some ambient light even though we do have blackout blinds and usually use it to watch sports on, although I do like to watch movies at night.
I have heard that grey is better when you have some ambient light and white is better for totally dark rooms but I would like more opinions.
I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

What size of a screen are you after and what aspect. The reason I ask is I have just received a sample of ALR from HiViLux (German brand), I will be checking it out tonight when I get home from work but I have watched a video on YouTube of it and seems to be as good as Elite's 5D screens. Prices are also super competitive.

By the way I don't speak a word of German..... but the pictures look nice. :p

i have a react grey screen in a room with grey walls and i highly reccomend it. can watch sports etc with lights on to be more sociable when people are around for example.

and my epson 7300 has no issue lighting it up either

Yeah I'd echo the react recommendations. I've got a 2.1 react screen and you can happily watch sport / kids TV with some lights on.

Thanks for all your feedback, I am not looking for anything expensive or fancy to be honest just a simple fixed frame screen as the pull down screen I have now is not the best as the corners curl a lot.
I was looking at some QualGear screens they seem to fit perfectly with what I want but just not sure which one to get, 0.9 gain high contrast grey or 1.2 gain white screen.

I tried the ALR sample against my white screen and there is no doubt ALR works and works extremely well, gone was the washed out look of the white screen.

Now that’s the pro of this material but of course there has to be a rub and this happens when you turn the lights out, whilst it definitely improves black levels it does so in a very muted way so whites aren’t as bright and in my opinion there’s a slight crush of the blacks into the bargain. Another negative I felt was a slight metallic look to the image, of course this could simply be me experience a grey screen for the first time and I have to take into account my settings were set up for my white screen.

I think I will need to see if some local supplier will send me a plain grey screen sample to compare with this ALR before I dump my the ideal of sticking with a white screen.

whole new calibration needed for that screen and samples are useless in my experience

I don't see those issues on my 6 year old react 2.1 and I watched 2200 hours with a 9300 on it

try a second hand react if you see one in the classifieds - you can move it on if you don't like it

whole new calibration needed for that screen and samples are useless in my experience

I don't see those issues on my 6 year old react 2.1 and I watched 2200 hours with a 9300 on it

try a second hand react if you see one in the classifieds - you can move it on if you don't like it

No doubt calibrating to the screen would have been needed, ultimately what I wanted to see was if an ALR screen did what it says on the tin and it definitely does, lights on (within reason) and light coloured walls it is the way to go.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom