Question Should I have purchased a MirrorLess Camera?

bbasra

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve just bought a Canon EOS 90D Digital SLR Camera to replace my Canon 40D I bought in 2007 but left with the thought should I have upgraded to a mirrorless camera. I also purchased a Canon EF-S 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS.

With my canon 40d, I own the following so thought the 90D was a no-brainer.

Canon 580 EX Speedlite
Canon EF-S Zoom 17 - 55mm IS F/2.8
Canon EF 70 - 200mm F/4L IS

I’m a casual photographer who mainly shoots family events and holidays therefore don’t upgrade\update regularly (except my phone).

I haven’t opened the box and don’t want to regret not going mirrorless. What are your thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

Bal.

It's a difficult question to answer especially as I'm not that familiar with the current Canon models. I don't think we're at the point where a mirrorless camera is the only choice and there's still some advantage to going with a DSLR.

One of the main advantages for me with mirrorless cameras is video since you can use the viewfinder whereas on a DSLR you need to use the rear screen, you can also use the more accurate AF on the main sensor through the viewfinder as well. Mirrorless camera bodies are usually smaller but it's not always an advantage since it can mean poorer handling with bigger lenses. Mirrorless cameras seem to be more often offering higher burst rates but they're at the point already where for many people the higher speeds aren't frequently that useful. My current camera does 20, 10 and 5fps with the 20fps being very appealing but most of the time I just use 5fps as I find that does the job and 20fps quickly generates an insane amount of images to deal with.

On the downside mirrorless cameras are usually weaker on batterylife than DSLRs although it's an area they've improved on and they can usually be easily recharged through USB. Lens ranges aren't as good but also an area they've been improving on significantly.

The most obvious mirrorless alternative for you would be the Canon EOS M6 II which shares the same sensor and with adapters could use your existing lenses whereas other mirrorless systems would mean changing lenses. The compact size and some small lenses would give you the option of a very small setup when you don't need the bigger lenses but I think I'd prefer the bigger body with your zoom lenses. Batterylife is rated at only 305 shots against 1300 for the 90D.

Going up to the EOS R6 price point I think it's more at the point it's harder to consider a DSLR but that's significantly more expensive than the 90D/M6 II.

Personally I've dabbled with mirrorless cameras for a while using them as an alternative for better video although recently changed fully to mirrorless. In my case the mirrorless camera had features well above the DSLR I was using and offered some specific useful mirrorless features but even then I have been questioning whether it's really been worth it. The DSLR has better handling since I use bigger lenses, I prefer the DSLRs lenses and although the batterylife on the mirrorless camera I use isn't bad I do need to be more careful about keeping an eye on the battery whereas the DSLR batterylife is so good there's times I can't find the charger it's been so long since I last needed to charge it.

Last edited:
perfectly sensible upgrade - why do you think a Mirrorless might have been a better choice ?

Jim

Mirrorless is not the be all and end all, and not for everyone. What is it about mirrorless that makes you think that you might prefer it?

I recently sold my 5d mark IV and bought a canon EOS R. I use my camera for still photography and not for video. I am not a professional photographer and do not require 2 memory card slots. The picture quality is sharper and the IQ is better. I haven’t bought any RF lenses and using EOS lenses with adapter. Works fine and the focus is quick. The weight is much less compared to 5d and easy to carry. I am not missing my 5d.

In their there shouldn't really be any difference in IQ, as the sensors are pretty much the same, in fact the 5DIV is a touch better. However, mirrorless tend to have more consistent autofocus meaning that you're more likely to get pin sharp focus and hence resulting in better/sharper images.

I agree that IQ should be the same in theory. However it appears sharper.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom