Should I sit on the floor to hear the soundbar properly?

talk2r

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm about to design and build a new TV unit and at the request of a "signficant other" I've been asked to tidy the around the TV, the sub on the floor is taking up space and the soundbar looks untidy directly infront of the TV, it is also covering up the remote receiver on the TV and forcing me to raise the remote and point downwards.

I want to place the soundbar on the topmost shelf in the new unit and also place the sub in the unit. My concern is that the soundbar is currently 48cm (19 inches) off the floor and it's new position would be 38cm (15 inches) off the floor, is this too low?

Cheers,
Rob

There's nothing to stop you angling the sub up slightly so that it's pointing at you. If you are happy with the current sound, I doubt you will notice too much difference in the new position.

Hello noiseboy72,

Thanks for your reply.

The sub position doesn't bother me too much, subs tend to cope with most positions.

It's the height of the soundbar off the floor, I'm surprised that manufactures don't seem to mention much about placement their manuals.

If you look at TV units for sale, they all seem to be around 46cm / 18 inches, which to me seems on the low side?

Hello noiseboy72,

Thanks for your reply.

The sub position doesn't bother me too much, subs tend to cope with most positions.

It's the height of the soundbar off the floor, I'm surprised that manufactures don't seem to mention much about placement their manuals.

If you look at TV units for sale, they all seem to be around 46cm / 18 inches, which to me seems on the low side?
I understand your query (I think!) - you're asking if lowering the height of your soundbar will affect its sound quality?

I think there might be a few issues here:

1. Most soundbars have drivers that direct sound straight at you. If you see the glossy pictures online, they're usually directly below a TV at more or less face height - 38 centimetres would have your soundbar facing your knees!

2. I think it's probably more important that the gap between the TV and the soundbar isn't too large as this might lead to dialogue synchronisation issues, though you didn't say what this gap would be?

As an aside, I have my Centre speaker at 54 cm and angled up slightly, and this is more or less at my face. But I remember someone had his Centre virtually a few cm off the floor but the TV was directly above it, and he didn't seem to notice any sound problems.

I guess you'll just have to try it based on what you currently have. TV units are usually long and low, you're right, and if the soundbar is blocking the IR signal to the TV then it probably should be moved down.

Maybe post a picture of your new arrangement so we can see what it looks like?

You know, an alternative is a riser for the TV - then you could keep the soundbar directly in front of your screen without blocking the IR signal?

I think Amazon sell plenty of these: it's basically just a raised platform for TV's.

Hello Derek S-H,

Thanks for your reply,

When you think about it logically, the soundbar speakers Ideally should be at the height of your ears which on my high end stereo speakers upstairs is the case, but I'd need to place the soundbar at 91cm / 3ft to achieve this in my living room, this is dead centre of the screen from my viewing position.

And so the soundbar can only go above or below. In my case below, but as I've stated in my last post, store bought TV units seem to be an average height of 45cm / 18 inches, which gives most users no choice other than to have it low and the manufacturers rarely quote precise positioning info.

I might be wrong but propably most people have there tv's setup at a their most comfortable viewing height which I believe is smilar to mine. I wouldn't want my tv set high up the wall as in one of those glossy (perfect world) pictures.

I can only presume the manufactures make these things knowing they'll be used with a whole range of positions low to high and make them to perform?

I've decided to do an experiment when everyone goes to bed tonight, I place it low and at my ear level and see if there's any difference.

P.S. The soundbar is a Yamaha YSP 2200

If you can put up with the untidiness, you can also get a IR repeater which will receives the IR command and retransmits it from an output located in an area visible to the tv‘s receiver. I had one powered by a tv usb socket, so I only needed to the signal get over the bar to switch the tv on.

Hello Htpc_rookie,

Thanks for your reply,

I'm under pressure to tidy up, she's resented the sub from day one and I have to admit we could improve the aesthetic by moving the soundbar.

@talk2r - I don't think you'll have to sit on the floor to hear it properly!

As you say, I think they are probably designed to have a wide sound dispersion pattern, both horizontally and vertically, so having it lower down may make no difference.

And as I said, I knew someone who had a Centre speaker just a few cm off the floor - literally ankle height - and he still found it fine.

Let us know how you get on with your placement experiment!:)

Have a look at the Yamaha YSP ‘Sound projector’ range - most have Vertical and Horizontal beam adjustment allowing you to set them ‘below’ your listening position.

Joe

I did my simple listening experiment last night, trying the soundbar in 4 positions.

The first postition was on the floor, then 25cm, then 52cm and finally 90cm.

The last three positions to my ears sounded the same, I listened over and over to the same dialogue scene and if there was a difference, it was a very small one and not enought to bother me. Strangely though with the soundbar on the floor, it actually sounded quite good, something I didn't expect.

These soundbars I can only presume are designed with big vertical plane.

Hello Joe Fernand,

Thanks for your reply.

I couldn't find in the manual any setting that allow adjustment of the output in a vertical plane?

Have you any idea what its called?

Which Soundbar do you have? My reference to Yamaha YSP and Beam adjustment is not a universal option across all brands.

Joe

I've had soundbars at all levels over the past few years and don't really notice any difference in the sound as long as there's no obstruction between the bar and the listener.

Hello Joe Fernand,

It's a YSP-2200.

It can be adjusted horizontally, but couldn't see anything about vertical adjustment?

Hello Talkshowchris,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I was a little concerned about audio quality until I tried the soundbar at different heights, I'm a bit more relaxed now.

Just angle the soundbar up a few degrees

Sitting on the floor isn't a good idea either

@talk2r - It would be good if you were to supply a picture of your finished set up (and the soundbar's location) just for reference for anyone else who has a similar query?

We're all here to help each other!:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom